AxiomAir System Version 2.08
#430569 12/01/18 07:58 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Over the past year we have completely rebuilt the AxiomAir operating system. In order to get the update to this new software a one-time major update or your AxiomAir is required.

New Features :
• Spotify Support
• Bluetooth Support (requires USB 4.0 Dongle)
• New multi-room implementation
• New software update system (faster updates)
• Improved Network connectivity when using repeaters

Upgrade requirements :

In order to complete this update, you will need a USB Flash Drive formatted in FAT32 with a minimum of 2GB of available space. Note: FAT32 is the standard format for USB Flash Drives at or below 32Gb. We recommend avoiding Flash Drives larger than 32Gb as formatting them in FAT32 might require partitioning which is a more complicated process.

During this process, you will be asked to reset your AxiomAir’s settings to the new factory defaults by erasing all user data. This step is required as the new version of the Air’s operating system is incompatible with the older version’s settings.

Warning: During this process, your AxiomAir will play a quality control message. This message will be VERY LOUD. Do not be alarmed, this is expected and will only happen once.

Upgrade procedure :

1. Download the upgrade package from https://s3.amazonaws.com/axiom-air-install-files/AxiomAirV1/AxiomAirV1-USB-Update-V2.08.zip
2. Extract the 2 files (axiomair.fir and stage2.pack) into the root of your flash drive (do not store them in any subfolder)
3. Power down your AxiomAir
4. Remove all USB attachments from the AxiomAir.
5. Plug the USB Flash drive containing the upgrade files into the AxiomAir
6. Plug your AxiomAir into your router with an Ethernet cable
7. Power up the AxiomAir
8. Wait for at least 10 minutes (during this process, the AxiomAir will restart on its own twice. You may hear it play the startup chimes twice but not necessarily. They may play just once)
9. After 10 minutes, connect to your AxiomAir’s UI, click the gear icon on the top right corner of the screen and choose “System”. Your system version should now be 2.08 (Note: the AxiomAir will open as normal from the Android or Apple App, from a PC when you double click on the AxiomAir from File Explorer / Network / Media Devices you will need to copy the IP address into a browser to access the AxiomAir this one time)
10. If you have confirmed that you are running version 2.08, remove the USB Flash Drive from your AxiomAir.
11. Click the “Delete User Data” button and choose “Yes” to reboot.
12. Wait at least 10 minutes (you will hear the “Quality Control Passed” message at least once. It may be followed by the startup chimes but they might be a little too faint to hear)
13. Plug the other USB attachments back in (if you would like Bluetooth also plug in a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle)
14. Reboot your AxiomAir
15. Connect to your AxiomAir UI again, click on the gear, then Network. Part way down the page you will see your home network listed, click Connect beside your home network (if you have a 5g and a regular option, pick the regular one), enter your Network password, then click Connect beside the password.
16. Unplug the Ethernet cable and reboot your AxiomAir
17. Connect to the AxiomAir UI again, click the gear in the upper right, then System, then at the bottom of the page click Check Updates. After the Update is complete you will be prompted to reboot your AxiomAir one more time
18. Your upgrade is complete and your AxiomAir is on its new factory settings with the latest version

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Re: AxiomAir System Version 2.08
Ian #430573 12/03/18 06:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This is great Ian. A long awaited update!
Will try this update after the weekend is done. The speaker is slated for use and i don't want to run into any as yet unknown glitches. Otherwise looking forward to seeing this update in practice sometime next week.

A few questions.
First, the most obvious, how does one procure the USB hardware addon for Bluetooth?

Second, it was mentioned in another post that replacing the Raspberry Pi with the new v3 will garner additional speed, but does the new v3 also come with wifi and Bluetooth onboard such that no extra addon is required?
If so, is it possible to put the RPi v3 into any of the Air builds?
Rather than have both a wifi and Bluetooth USB addon, plus to get additional startup/shutdown speed, i would consider swapping the existing Rasperry for the newer v3.
Just need to know if this is possible.

Lastly, once the Bluetooth is functional, are there instructions on how users can connect to the Air?
Will there be a new user manual coming out?

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/03/18 06:54 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ian #430575 12/03/18 09:52 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Congrats on this release, Ian. As Chess has said, many have been waiting. Do you have a robot army at work because there's so much going on?!

Anyone running the update should do so on AC power or a full battery or maybe both just to be safe.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Ian #430576 12/04/18 08:07 AM
devotee
devotee
I can confirm that the new version is great and works well with Spotify (I don't use BT so did not test that). You can do the upgrade on power or battery and I found it only takes about 5minutes. I've been testing for a couple of weeks and it seems rock solid. Well done Ian.
Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by jmone; 12/04/18 08:15 AM.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
chesseroo #430577 12/04/18 08:08 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Chesseroo,

Any 4.0 Bluetooth dongle should work no problem. I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all work.

Changing the Pi is reasonably simple but does require a refresh of the SD Card and initial boot plugged in with an Ethernet cable. This said the on-board Bluetooth antenna in the Pi3 or Pi3 B+ will not work, you would still need a dongle. The built in WiFi on the Pi 3B+ is strong enough to not need the WiFi dongle, and depending on circumstances, the Pi3 one may be sufficient too.

The new N3 v2 manual will be on-line on the product page next week. But the Bluetooth does not require any button pushing on the UI, it is just always available. Just stop anything you are playing, pair your device over Bluetooth, and it will work.

Ian Colquhoun
Mojo #430578 12/04/18 08:19 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Mojo,

Yes, this is the big Update we have been working on. A BIG thanks to Guillaume for making it happen! It is much bigger than just the addition of Spotify and Bluetooth as it also allows us to make changes and add features much easier going forward. Once the update has been done this time using the USB drive, all future Updates will be back to just the button push on the System page. Even the Updater itself works much better now.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430581 12/04/18 04:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Chesseroo,

Any 4.0 Bluetooth dongle should work no problem. I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all work.

Can you recommend one that will fit when the door is closed? Similar to the size of the present wifi plugin.
And preferably something with LED indicators so you know it is on, working, being accessed..
I saw a few online that look huge and some were stupid expensive while others cost $2 which is almost unnerving. I can't have the door open all the time and it would be nice to have the lights indicating functionality but want a quality unit.

Quote:

Changing the Pi is reasonably simple but does require a refresh of the SD Card and initial boot plugged in with an Ethernet cable. This said the on-board Bluetooth antenna in the Pi3 or Pi3 B+ will not work, you would still need a dongle. The built in WiFi on the Pi 3B+ is strong enough to not need the WiFi dongle, and depending on circumstances, the Pi3 one may be sufficient too.

Ok so i might switch to the newer Pi after hockey season ends but knowing it would still need a BT dongle.
Install new RPi 3 with old Pi physical connections (assume the internal cabling is identical).
Hook up to online updater via ethernet connection and update that way first.
Download new update onto usb (for now) and update for a second time according to earlier instructions in this thread to RPi 3.

Quote:

The new N3 v2 manual will be on-line on the product page next week. But the Bluetooth does not require any button pushing on the UI, it is just always available. Just stop anything you are playing, pair your device over Bluetooth, and it will work.

Great to hear a new manual is coming out. The instructions on the old one seem wonky now. I've worked out a method to access the Air from my Pixel2 (Android) but i've still had app issues with BubblePNP. Sometimes it locks at a max. # of songs on its playlists in a weird way, and i don't have an easy and fast way of making up playlists to upload like we can using iPods. I would make up the playlists on the home computer then upload the playlists to the iPod. Trying to make a playlist on the BubblePNP on a phone dragging one song at a time and having this dumb max. # of songs weirdness is impossible on the Pixel. It also doesn't recognize individual folders such that i can't just dump 100 songs into a folder labeled "Playlist 1" and have Bubble only play the songs in that folder.

That aside, if the BT is always active, how will it work if someone is accessing the Air via wifi and then someone else auto connects to the BT?
Does person A get knocked off?
They can't both function at the same time i would think.

chesseroo #430584 12/04/18 06:28 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
This one works well

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-V4-0-3-W...luetooth+dongle

It does have a flashing blue light to indicate it is on.

If you do go to the Pi3 let me know and I will send you a special link to get code to reflash your SD card.

Have you tried putting the Playlist on a USB drive and playing it from the AxiomAir UI? This works really well.

It is a "last button pushed" order of priority so if someone plays something over Bluetooth it will take over from what was playing on WiFi and vise versa. We do however recommend you stop playing one thing before going to the next because sometimes a timing error will occur if you don't, and you will get odd song title and volume things that require a song switch or volume touch to clear.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430585 12/05/18 02:55 AM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
I did the upgrade on my AxiomAir and it went fine, but now I'm having a couple issues.

1) Axiom air doesn't show up on BubbleUPnP. It does however show up in JRiver.

2) Volume is glitchy. When I try to change volume in JRiver or JRemote the volume mutes. Any changes done in the Axiom app are not reflected in JRiver.

I did my upgrade on a PI3B (purchased with card from Axiom).
I would like to switch a a PI3B+. Can I simply move my SD card over or should I get a fresh card from you guys?

Oh yeah. Bluetooth works well but is very loud. My bluetooth volume is around 3-6 when my wifi volume is around 70 (70 is probably a little higher than typical users because of volume leveling done before audio is sent to AxiomAir).

SOAD #430586 12/05/18 03:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By SOAD
I did the upgrade on my AxiomAir and it went fine, but now I'm having a couple issues.

1) Axiom air doesn't show up on BubbleUPnP. It does however show up in JRiver.

Good to know. It wasn't anywhere in the renderer choice selections?
Did reinstalling Bubble have any effect?
Is this the free or paid version?

Quote:

Oh yeah. Bluetooth works well but is very loud. My bluetooth volume is around 3-6 when my wifi volume is around 70 (70 is probably a little higher than typical users because of volume leveling done before audio is sent to AxiomAir).

Also interesting to know. I wonder if this has anything to do with JRiver or the BT module specifically (signal interpretation and enhancement? I wouldn't think so though since the BT adapter isn't the point of audio signal interpretation)

Ian #430587 12/05/18 03:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Ian
This one works well

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-V4-0-3-W...luetooth+dongle

It does have a flashing blue light to indicate it is on.

Thanks. I'll keep the link and look at a purchase in a few weeks.

Quote:

If you do go to the Pi3 let me know and I will send you a special link to get code to reflash your SD card.

Will do.

Quote:

Have you tried putting the Playlist on a USB drive and playing it from the AxiomAir UI? This works really well.

You mean if i had two or three playlists perhaps in .m3u file format, loaded all those songs in the 3 playlists onto a USB stick, that i could use the Axiom GUI to load a m3u playlist?
Or are you saying that i'd had to dump the playlist songs on the USB and then select all those songs into the Axiom GUI at that point?

I have played songs from a USB stick but unless i got a small stick, my stick 'sticks' out and i have to leave the door open.
(i bet if Peter were here he'd jump all over that statement)

Quote:

It is a "last button pushed" order of priority so if someone plays something over Bluetooth it will take over from what was playing on WiFi and vise versa. We do however recommend you stop playing one thing before going to the next because sometimes a timing error will occur if you don't, and you will get odd song title and volume things that require a song switch or volume touch to clear.

Also good to know.
I hope that note gets put into the new user manual.

Ian #430588 12/05/18 04:14 AM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
Quote:
Good to know. It wasn't anywhere in the renderer choice selections?
Did reinstalling Bubble have any effect?
Is this the free or paid version?

I have paid version running on a few different android devices. It didn't appear as a renderer on any device. I tried with AA in hotspot mode and I tried with the AA connected through ethernet to my router.

Quote:
Also interesting to know. I wonder if this has anything to do with JRiver or the BT module specifically (signal interpretation and enhancement? I wouldn't think so though since the BT adapter isn't the point of audio signal interpretation)

My listening was done using foobar mobile on Android. The bluEtooth dongle I am using is iogear GBU521.

Ian #430589 12/05/18 04:23 AM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
I did the install on 2 Axiom Airs, and now the multi-room capability does not work at all for me. Also, from the app I used to be able to switch control from one AA to another by clicking on the AA image on the bottom of the screen. Now, when I do that I get the "spinning circle of death" and never get connected. It is very difficult to control AAs from the app if you cannot switch from one to another.

Is there any way to get back to the previous release?

Ian #430590 12/05/18 12:01 PM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
Originally Posted By Ian

New Features :
- Spotify Support
- Bluetooth Support (requires USB hardware addon)
- New multi-room implementation
- New software update system (faster updates)
- Bug fixes

What is the new multi-room implementation. I can't get multi-device working at all.

SOAD #430592 12/05/18 11:39 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi SOAD,

I will have to do some investigating into Bubble and JRiver to answer you properly on these.

We do not have any V1 software for the Pi 3B+ so I would stick with the Pi3.

Interesting on the Volume difference with Bluetooth. I have not found that myself. Perhaps some others can let us know what they experience. It is always worth a reboot of your AxiomAir to see if that helps.

Ian Colquhoun
chesseroo #430593 12/05/18 11:43 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Chesseroo,

You can make the Playlists on the USB drive beforehand or make them from the AxiomAir UI.

Ian Colquhoun
linkstatic #430594 12/05/18 11:47 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi linkstatic,

I would try rebooting both your AxiomAirs. You should definitely be able to click on either one from the Android App and multi-room should also work. I did a test today to see if it could be a Pi2 and Pi3 difference between your AxiomAirs but that all work both for selecting the one I wanted to control and creating a multi-room group from my Android App no problem.

It is possible to go back to the original code but it requires a reflash of your SD Card. If you want to do this let me know and I can send you the details for it.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430595 12/06/18 01:45 AM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
Ian,

I am not using an Android device. I use apple iPads and an iPhone to control the AAs. I have rebooted several times with the same results. Also my AAs appear twice on my network with 2 different ip addresses. This never happened before.

I think I would like to revert back to the old software. The Spotify worked great but the multi-device, multi-room capability is more important to me.

Thanks

Ian #430596 12/06/18 03:16 AM
M
M
Ian, you go man! You're amazing. My team and I dedicate this next bottle of Emilio Moro 2015 Tempranillo Espana to YOU!

House of the Rising Sone
linkstatic #430599 12/06/18 07:57 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi linkstatic,

This is all very bizarre. From either my Android or Apple devices multi-room works here at my place. I will send you the instructions for going back separately.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430600 12/06/18 03:19 PM
M
M
Linkstatic, you may also want to try re=booting your router.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #430601 12/06/18 09:49 PM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
Originally Posted By Mojo
Linkstatic, you may also want to try re=booting your router.

Yes, I have done that numerous times. I don't know why they come up with 2 ip addresses. My one AA shows up on my network as 192.168.254.24 and 192.168.254.25.

I tried to re-install the new software again from the USB to the AA and now it is dead. I can't get it on the network at all, or install the new softwar.

I hope I can get back to the old version. It worked great for me. I don't need Spotify that bad.

Ian, please send me the instructions. My email address is in my profile.

Thanks.

linkstatic #430602 12/06/18 11:13 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi linkstatic,

I sent them to you in a PM.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430622 12/08/18 03:00 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I’d be interested in someone posting a video review of all the new features.

I like that Spotify is included but I use it though amazon dot. I am more interested in see other features/enhancements to determine if I should bother upgrading.

I’d like to see how the new multi room audio works-what’s new? Or any advancements to playlist management (playing a m3u from USB).

Anyone who has upgraded want to post up a review?

Regards,

Shawzy44

M80 V3 | VP150 | EP125 | Denon 2809ci | Emotiva XPA-3 | 2 x AxiomAir N3 |
Ian #430626 12/08/18 06:10 PM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
I just completed the update but have an issue where iTunes from an iPad via airplay is stuck at max volume, what am I doing wrong?

Ian #430627 12/08/18 08:41 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
How did everyone complete the steps past #8?

So the USB wifi dongle is out this whole time?

Do I connect to my AA directly with a patch cable? How do I connect to the web interface? 192.168.211.1 (the default) is not working. Can I plug in the USB wifi dongle and use the AA hotspot?

Maybe someone could add more detail to the instructions. Thanks!!

Regards,

Shawzy44

SOAD #430628 12/08/18 08:48 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi SOAD,

We did some digging into this and there is a problem with BubbleUPnP. It is an odd one as other UPnP devices like Windows Media Player work fine. We will figure this one out this week and prepare an Update.

Ian Colquhoun
VintageUke #430629 12/08/18 08:50 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi VintageUke,

This would happen if you did not do the Delete User Data part of the Update. Can you try going to the Gear, then System, and then Delete User Data, then click Yes to reboot. This should fix it.

Ian Colquhoun
Shawzy44 #430630 12/08/18 08:52 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Shawzy44,

The best thing to do is plug in an Ethernet cable from your router. You will then be able to get to the interface from the Android App, the Apple App, or by clicking on File Explorer, then Network, then double click on the AxiomAir under Media Devices from a PC.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430634 12/09/18 01:55 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Finally got both my AA’s updated.

Interestingly I got a few dozen Unknown error occured. Never did get it to connect on either of my AA’s on any of my networks. That said after a restart I was able to see the Axiom app on my iPhone on the wifi network.

AA#1 has the karaoke module- has so much interference noise it has to be playing music or off. The standby noise is super annoying. This was not the case prior to the v2 update. The Axiom app shows it plays Apple music over apple airplay but there is no sound.
Spotify seem to be the same. No volume. Analog input works just fine.

AA#2 no karaoke but has a better-, seems to be fine on standby, no interference (in the exact same spot). No airplay but Spotify works. Playing from USB works.

I killed hours playing with these tonight. Maybe I will try again tomorrow and start all over again.

Regards,

Shawzy44

Shawzy44 #430642 12/09/18 06:03 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Shawzy44,

We will look into the Karaoke issue this week. I did not do any testing of that personally so I want to check it out.

The no volume over AirPlay or Spotify does not make a lot of sense. Can you reboot your AxiomAirs and all the devices you use to connect to them. If this does not fix the problem then try Deleting the User Data again. If this doesn't fix the volume issues then we will need to reflash your SD card.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430646 12/09/18 10:43 PM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
Thank you Ian, I had guessed that I missed a step, apologies for that (your instructions were clear, should not have tried mid-wine bottle...)

Ian #430648 12/09/18 11:51 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks Ian,

I followed your suggestions -deleted user data again and restarted everything.

All is working now as expected. Including the new Bluetooth dongles I received today.

Interference is still there on the karaoke model.

Regards,

Shawzy44

Ian #430653 12/10/18 11:56 PM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
Locked out...
On powering up the Air I now have no ability to connect wired or wifi. The app will not detect the device and the device does not show in airplay. I’ve rebooted the router but no luck. Hoping there’s an easy answer.

VintageUke #430654 12/11/18 12:44 AM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
is there a way to manually reset the system?

VintageUke #430655 12/11/18 12:51 AM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
Manually entering the IP address is also not getting me a connection

Ian #430656 12/11/18 02:03 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi VintageUke,

Is your AxiomAir showing up as an available WiFi connection in your settings?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430658 12/11/18 11:52 PM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
Just got home from work and was able to get the AA to connect over wifi. The axiom app picked it up and airplay sees it. However no volume even though airplay (via iPad) shows that music is playing to the AA.

VintageUke #430659 12/11/18 11:58 PM
V
hobbyist
hobbyist
V
And now we have volume, life is good. Will let it play on repeat overnight. Hope this little glitch is over!

Ian #430677 12/12/18 11:58 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
There is now an Update available to fix the Bubble issue. If you already have v2.08 you can click on the Check Updates button in the System menu and check it out. You should be on v2.09 after the Update.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430684 12/13/18 09:59 PM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
I upgraded to 2.09. I have done a few hours of testing and all is good so far.
BubbleUPnP is working now.
The JRiver volume issue I described earlier is fixed too.

Nice work. Thanks.

Ian #430696 12/15/18 05:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Very nice.
I'll try upgrading to 2.08 then 2.09 in the next few weeks.

It might be nice to have a webpage linked from the Air mainpage for all the updates in order in case people want to actually go back to previous versions no?
It might also be a good idea to put the update instructions on this page with other notes about the versions and bug fixes in each, or at least the couple of 'known' working versions.

Ian #430702 12/15/18 08:10 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Tried doing this and not able to connect to AA now. initially did it with all USBs removed as directed (inbcluding the supplied wifi one) and plugged it in after the 10 minutes and not able to connect. Turned unit off but left the wifi USB plugged in and tried again- still cannot connect. Blue light is on, wifi USB is flashing blue. No AA showing up in computer's Wifi connections available

Timmeh #430706 12/16/18 11:31 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

It sounds like your AxiomAir is about half way through the process. With your AxiomAir plugged into your router with an Ethernet cable you should be able to get to the UI through File Explorer on your PC. Click on Network on the left side, then on the right side your AxiomAir should be under Media Devices, double click on it to open the UI. Click the gear then under System you can check that you are on v2.08. If you are then plug only your WiFi dongle into the USB port on your on your AxiomAir, then click on Delete User Data and Yes to reboot. Wait for 10 minutes and then go to the gear and Network and put your AxiomAir back on your network. Now you should be able to remove the Ethernet cable and reboot your AxiomAir.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430710 12/16/18 10:56 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Ah gotcha. I will try that! Thanks.

Ian #430722 12/17/18 10:36 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hello- I connected the AA to my router and using a different computer connecting wirelessly, I opened the Network.

On the right the AA is listed under Computer and under Media Devices as AxiomAir Default. When double click the icon listed under Computer, it just allows me to access the folder that I copied the files onto. When I double click the option under Media Devices, it does not open a UI. It just opens a Properties window, this is after turning the speaker on with only the data USB plugged in and allowing it to sit for 40 minutes.

Edit- I saw that in the properties window, there was an IP address listed so I copy and pasted it into my browser and was able to see my AA. So I deleted the user data and allowed it to restart. I then entered the wireless password into the Network folder in the AA UI and unplugged the Ethernet cable and the USB data stick with the files. The only USB plugged in now is the wireless one. Now there is just a spinning circle on the screen and the AA is unresponsive for me to do the final step advised (restarting it).

Please advise

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/17/18 10:57 PM.
Timmeh #430723 12/17/18 10:54 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

The only dongle you should have plugged in is the WiFi dongle. Can you try this again without the data USB plugged in? If that still does not work I would suggest deleting the files on the data USB drive, reformatting the USB drive, and then loading the files on again. After this you can try booting with the data USB only and the Ethernet cable plugged in. Then after 10 minutes remove the data USB drive and see if you can get to the UI from File Explorer to verify you are on v2.08. If you can then Delete User Data, click Yes to reboot and wait another 10 minutes. After this you should be able to access the UI from File Explorer again and put your AxiomAir on your network. Then unplug the Ethernet cable and reboot.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430724 12/17/18 10:56 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
See edited post above- sorry, I was posting it at same time as you probably.. I seem to have gotten most of the way to the end....

Now the blue light is flashing , as is the blue light in the USB dongle.

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/17/18 10:58 PM.
Ian #430727 12/18/18 01:20 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I powered the AA down and back up again. The blue light is solid now, and was able to connect in my browser. Put my USB in that had music on it, and found it through the UI. Started playing a song. Went to Playback UI and everything was unresponsive. The song was playing and the UI still had the "Play" arrow, rather than the "Pause" || symbol you usually see when a song is playing in a media player. Couldn't adjust volume, pause, delete from playlist. Nothing. Then everything froze and the song stopped- so maybe super laggy response to my inputs? Tried again with another song and it seemed to work like normal but still pretty slow in its responsiveness.

So from what I can tell, it's all working again. I seem to be able to connect to various radio stations in the Browse menu but they can cut out very badly like the signal isn't coming through. I don't have a Bluetooth Dongle to test with it.

I don't see any listing for Spotify though. How do you use it with the AA?

I'm also not seeing it coming up as a wifi signal for me to connect to it on my iphone, but I can Airdrop to it. I haven't used it camping for a while and I can't remember if I used Airdrop or found it in my list of wifi connections. At any rate, I cannot use it to play music from my phone because playback is so choppy, it sounds like I'm trying to pull in a radio station from 1000 miles away. Doesn't matter if I'm using a music app or actual songs on the phone. So, that really needs to be fixed....

So, overall my experience with this update has been poor. The directions really need to be fleshed out on how to do it, because it seems like there is no "one way" to do it and a lot of troubleshooting is necessary. Also, I can't really use it any more for about 99% of the music I listen to.

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/18/18 01:40 AM.
Timmeh #430728 12/18/18 01:53 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

What system version do you show in the UI? If it is v2.08 could you try clicking on the Delete User Data button and the Yes to reboot.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430730 12/18/18 02:49 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
yep it's 2.08 and i did delete the user data and clicked yes to reboot

Timmeh #430733 12/18/18 06:04 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

If you plug in an Ethernet cable to your AxiomAir do these problems of choppy WebRadio stations and the unresponsive UI go away?

For Spotify are you using the free or paid version of Spotify?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430736 12/18/18 10:30 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I’m assuming you want me to remove the wifi dongle before plugging it in to the router via Ethernet cable?

I’m using free Spotify

With the USB dongle removed and the speaker plugged into my router via Ethernet cable I can airdrop to the speaker and listen to music on my phone or use music apps on my phone. I cannot access the speaker UI when I go to it’s ip address (nothing loads) so I cannot say if the radio stations in the ui come in choppy or not.

With the USB dongle in and speaker hardwired to router, I get the same as above. The wifi dongle is not flashing it’s blue light like usual, and I cannot log into its ip.

I powered down th speaker, disconnected the Ethernet cable, left the USB dongle connected and restarted. The speaker now shows up in my wifi options on my phone and I can connect to it and access my music USB, play and adjust volume as I have in the past. When I go to the home screen where radio stations are normally listed, there are none, as though the speaker is not connected to the internet. It also no longer shows up in my phone to airdrop to.

So it seems it acts either like a plain speaker which I can access and play the on-board music OR it acts as an airdrop speaker I can use to play music and apps from my phone. It doesn’t have the functionality to access web radio from the UI like it could yesterday so I have no idea if it’s choppy or not. Of the forms of playback it is able to do, seems clear. But now I don’t know how to turn it back into a unit I can airdrop to....

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/18/18 11:11 PM.
Timmeh #430744 12/19/18 06:54 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

You can leave the WiFi dongle plugged in when you plug in the Ethernet cable. Plugging in the Ethernet cable will put your AxiomAir on your network. When your AxiomAir is on your network the Hotspot IP address will not resolve the UI as your router will give your AxiomAir a new IP address. It sounds like we just need to sort out the best way for you to access the music you want and the UI; this will likely be to put your AxiomAir on your network. I think this will best be resolved on the phone.

The free Spotify does not have Spotify Connect available.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430746 12/19/18 03:25 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Ok so it seems that the speaker is working as intended to start in its own wifi mode. This is appropriate for when I take the speaker to the beach or camping, etc and I want to access the UI so as to play the music on the USB I have attached to it.

But my confusion is this- why would the speaker join my Network at all? Why am I not able to just airdrop to it like my kid’s Bluetooth speaker? We turn it on and voila it’s right there in our airdrop list. Does the AA not work like this because I need to have a Bluetooth dongle for it?

It seems to me I should be able to turn it on and access it through its wifi hotspot as well as find it in my phone to airdrop my music or run apps through. It does both at the moment but only one or the other at a time. I’m guessing if I went into the Network list and found my router and logged in, it would join up (I haven’t tried yet) and I would be able to find it as an airdrop but why should I have to connect it to my Network to airdrop to it? Why does it not just show up like a Bluetooth speaker does? I’m pretty sure this has worked before because I’ve been camping with no Network available and I seem to recall being able to play music from my phone through the AA.

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/19/18 03:50 PM.
Timmeh #430752 12/19/18 09:04 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

If the blue LED on the left side is solid blue or you have an Ethernet cable plugged in then your AxiomAir is on your network. In this condition you will be able to use AirPlay from iTunes or any Apple device that is on the same network.

When you take your AxiomAir out of range of your network it will automatically switch to Hotspot mode and the blue LED will begin to flash. In this mode your AxiomAir will show up as a WiFi network you can join and then you will be able to access the UI by the App, by typing AxiomAir.local into a web browser, or by typing 192.168.211.1 into a web browser. You will be able to play songs from a USB drive or over AirPlay if the songs are resident on your device. We now also have Bluetooth as an option to connect with when away from your network but you would need a Bluetooth dongle plugged in for this to work.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430755 12/19/18 11:44 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
i will try using the app- I didn't realize there was one now.

So far this all seems to work as intended except for me being able to airdrop to it when it is in hotspot mode. I will fiddle some more...

Thanks

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/19/18 11:57 PM.
Ian #430756 12/20/18 01:11 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Timmeh,

If the blue LED on the left side is solid blue or you have an Ethernet cable plugged in then your AxiomAir is on your network. In this condition you will be able to use AirPlay from iTunes or any Apple device that is on the same network.

When you take your AxiomAir out of range of your network it will automatically switch to Hotspot mode and the blue LED will begin to flash. In this mode your AxiomAir will show up as a WiFi network you can join and then you will be able to access the UI by the App, by typing AxiomAir.local into a web browser, or by typing 192.168.211.1 into a web browser. You will be able to play songs from a USB drive or over AirPlay if the songs are resident on your device. We now also have Bluetooth as an option to connect with when away from your network but you would need a Bluetooth dongle plugged in for this to work.

So I turned on the speaker and it defaulted to join my Network this time. It doesn’t seem to do the same thing at start up for some reason.

Anyway, I tried the app out and it will not find the speaker. Maybe it only works when the speaker is in hotspot mode? If so, that makes no sense at all. Also the ip for the speaker seems to be different than the number you provided. I can now connect using my phone browser to control on-board music. I can also airdrop to it and stream music from my phone but it is extremely choppy as before.

Quite frankly, this process is so convoluted and confusing I really don’t have the energy to spend on it any more. Hopefully this will all be fixed and I will once again be able to stream music from my phone to this speaker and not have it completely garbled and breaking up.

Timmeh #430761 12/22/18 11:22 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

The problems you are running into are unique to you so we will need to do some troubleshooting to fix them. If you plug your AxiomAir into your router with an Ethernet cable does the choppiness go away?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430771 12/23/18 06:22 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Timmeh,

The problems you are running into are unique to you so we will need to do some troubleshooting to fix them. If you plug your AxiomAir into your router with an Ethernet cable does the choppiness go away?

Yes it does. Playback is clear when plugged in. When wireless, it's choppy. And to be honest, I've never had more than 10-15 feet of range on wireless before it would get choppy, when using the speaker's hotspot. But now it's bad even from 2 feet away.

Ian #430777 12/23/18 09:42 PM
A
regular
regular
A
I think my original Axiom-installed microSD card is corrupted. When I went to reboot for this upgrade the Pi's power LED came on, but no network status or anything to indicate that it booted up (including the UI). The Raspberry Pi boots fine with another microSD card running plain Raspbian OS, so I'm hoping it's just the card itself that's bad.

Is it possible to get the 2.0.8/9 version as an image for a new microSD card? I have cards available, just no way to image one with the stock Axiom load.

Timmeh #430780 12/24/18 07:20 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

It sounds like your WiFi dongle is damaged. Can you PM me your current address to send you another one.

Ian Colquhoun
aadev #430781 12/24/18 07:27 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi aadev,

We can get this up and running for you. Can you PM me the name you purchased your AxiomAir under.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430782 12/24/18 12:08 PM
A
regular
regular
A
Done. Thanks, Ian!

Ian #430783 12/24/18 03:49 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Timmeh,

It sounds like your WiFi dongle is damaged. Can you PM me your current address to send you another one.

Will do- thanks. I had always just assumed it was a kink that had to be worked out with the speaker still being in "beta testing".

Ian #430784 12/24/18 06:07 PM
S
S
Hi! I've done the 2.08 update and I now have an awesome spotify and web radio player that won't connect to my NAS. An error message blinks (112) but is gone before I can read it!

Are there instructions somewhere? I don't remember any problems with the initial setup.

Ian #430787 12/26/18 05:05 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi SMcElroy,

We will need to fix this at our end. You will be able to get the fix by just clicking on the Check Updates button on the System page when it is ready.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430791 12/26/18 10:27 PM
I apologize for asking such a Newbie question, but here goes:

I have an AA that I purchased from the original Kickstarter. I've never used it, so I assume it has the original version of firmware. Will it upgrade to the current new release directly, or do I have to do some intermediary steps?

I know that you had offered to walk me through this on the phone at one time, and I commend you for that great customer service! I just never felt right about taking your time like that.

Maybe the latest update will solve some of those issues I was having initially...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ian #430795 12/27/18 05:50 PM
T
frequent flier
frequent flier
T
Out of curiosity, are anybody able to mount a network fileshare after the update (2.09) ?
No matter if I use nfs or cifs protocol it always claims access denied even though it`s the same parameters as before. frown

TwistedSpirit #430799 12/28/18 06:55 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi TwistedSpirit and SMcElroy,

I have not been able to do this either. It is a really unexpected bug but we are fixing it now and will have an Update available right after New Year's Day.

Last edited by Ian; 12/28/18 07:02 PM.

Ian Colquhoun
MarkSJohnson #430800 12/28/18 07:01 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Mark,

I would suggest doing an Update to v1.363 before doing the USB update. Do you have your AxiomAir on your network?

Ian Colquhoun
Shawzy44 #430801 12/28/18 10:33 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Shawzy44,

I have tried to replicate the noise but no luck. I can go back and forth between the original v1.363 and the new v2.09 without any change in background noise. I am using wireless mics; I have not tried wired mics yet but they should be less likely to have noise. Are you using wired or wireless?

Volume issues with the new version would normally mean the User Data did not get deleted. Can you try doing this step again by going to Gear, System, Delete User Data and then click yes to reboot your AxiomAir.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430803 12/28/18 11:56 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hi Ian,

The feedback issue occurs whenever the system is on. I am not even using the karaoke function. I have swaped power packs and move the unit around the house to different outlets. I have a 2nd axiom air and have tested it in the same locations and no issues.

I have deleted and reloaded the firmware twice. Also deleted user data and restarted.

I can try deleting user data again and see.

Regards,

Shawzy44

Ian #430844 01/03/19 06:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Alright, so a couple of notes after the 2.09 upgrade which couldn't come any sooner as once again the Air (on older firmware) went bizarre on me last night and i could not get anyone's phone to connect to it (would not bring up the UI even though it looked like it was connected by wifi to the devices).

Following the update to 2.09 today, finally by deleting the user data, my Air no longer tries to get connected to my home router and get into a stuck mode where i could not access it short of powering down and taking the Air beyond the range of my home router before starting it up.
That's a plus and a big fix for me.

Now, it took a bit of jiggering, but finally i've got BubbleUPNP (free version) recognizing the Axiom as a renderer. However, i needed to turn off my cellular data to get it to function. At home, the phone defaults to home wifi. When that goes off, it defaults to cellular service. When i switch my wifi to the active AxiomAir, it connects to the Air BUT, unless i turn off the cellular data, Bubble won't recognize the Axiom as a renderer.
Even after turning off the cellular connection, it took a number of restarts of Bubble to 'come around'. Perhaps it wasn't closing out or some background procedure was taking longer to close out than expected. I will continue to test out this working method a few times to be sure that is what needs to be done to get the Air and Bubble working together on this Google Pixel 2 (Android).
Related to that point, i might have to consider getting the paid version of Bubble since some of its limitations i think are part of my problems with trying to setup playlists or find music or search by folder, etc.
ADDED NOTE: I also needed to turn off the cellular connection with the Apple iPhone or the UI would not connect. It popped up a window with the UI asking to login. There is of course no login, but if i canceled this window or used the home button to try and get to the music player, the iPhone would get bumped off the Air hotspot and go back to my home wifi.
With the cellular data turned off i got a baloon popup that asked if i wanted to continue using the Axiom network without internet and selecting yes then finally put the iPhone into its usual mode with the Air.
Bottom line, cellular data needs to be off on the phones when connecting to the Air or it won't work.

Second glitch, the Axiom app no longer connects to the Air. It is a complete bust.
I have no problem getting the user interface through a browser though.
Ian, is the Axiom app no longer needed? No longer functioning? Browser only access to the UI? Is it being updated or should i just uninstall it now and not bother with it at all?

Third, one MAJOR thing that i noticed was absent from the UI was the ability to limit the maximum volume. I REALLY need this one back. The kids crank the Air to 100% in the locker room and i've observed some very audible distortion when volume is maxed out. For most songs, i found that limiting the Air to 90% was acceptable and feel better that the kids won't blow the drivers under these conditions.
Can that volume limiter feature be brought back in?

Lastly, i have yet to get a Bluetooth dongle to test out that aspect, but will do so in the next few weeks and provide more input on its success or issues with connectivity. I will also test out the switching between different people's devices to test it's ability to do so smoothly. There's nothing more annoying than taking 20 minutes to get a person onto the unit and first having to get someone else off their connection because there is no master control to boot someone's device once connected.

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/03/19 07:24 PM. Reason: added note

chesseroo #430845 01/03/19 07:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By chesseroo

ADDED NOTE: I also needed to turn off the cellular connection with the Apple iPhone or the UI would not connect. It popped up a window with the UI asking to login. There is of course no login, but if i canceled this window or used the home button to try and get to the music player, the iPhone would get bumped off the Air hotspot and go back to my home wifi.
With the cellular data turned off i got a baloon popup that asked if i wanted to continue using the Axiom network without internet and selecting yes then finally put the iPhone into its usual mode with the Air.
Bottom line, cellular data needs to be off on the phones when connecting to the Air or it won't work.

Alright, so rebooting the Air and starting from scratch with the iPhone, the previous method no longer works to connect.
Under the iPhone network the AxiomAir it not listed as a hotspot but rather only as a new Airplay speaker. I have no options to connect to the Air as its own wifi and selecting the new Aiplay speaker setup tries to setup the Air on my home wifi which is not what we are trying to do.
I have no idea where to go from here.

Have i mentioned how much i hate Apple?

So now the kids cannot play the Air at home at all.
I can only hope that when we're out of range of the home wifi that the Axiom Air will show up as a wifi spot and not an Airplay speaker so they can still use it at the rink, until i get that damn Bluetooth dongle...

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/03/19 07:49 PM.

linkstatic #430849 01/05/19 01:02 AM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
Originally Posted By linkstatic
Also, from the app I used to be able to switch control from one AA to another by clicking on the AA image on the bottom of the screen. Now, when I do that I get the "spinning circle of death" and never get connected. It is very difficult to control AAs from the app if you cannot switch from one to another.

Had the same issue with the app not working. You could not switch between one AA and another, and the multi-room capability would not work.

Re: AxiomAir System Version 2.08 (now 2.09)
Ian #430850 01/05/19 03:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The app definitely seems toast.
However connecting from one of two locations, either through the browser with the Air IP (works great) or from the startup connection.

When i connect to the Air via Android, it brings me to a 'login' page, even though there is no login. It brings up the Air UI and i can use it directly without doing anything else. There is an option on this login page to "use this network as is" which refers to the fact the network doesn't have internet access (again as mentioned i need to have my cellular data off or i do not get this login page).

Unfortunately after fiddling with the Air tonight with the iPhones, we are stuck on the issue noted earlier. The Air shows up as an Airplay speaker waiting to be setup but not as a wifi point.
The only thing i haven't tried is deleting the user data in the Air but that was already all done the day of the updates to 2.09.

chesseroo #430857 01/05/19 08:50 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Chesseroo,

Apple will only ask you about putting the AirPlay speaker on your network once. You can go ahead and do that, then open the AxiomAir App, click on the gear, click on Network, then connect to your network again but put a bogus password in. This will cause the AxiomAir to go back to Hotspot and forget your home network going forward.

I do not have any problem opening the UI with the Apple or Android Apps. I would suggest that before you do the failing of the password, do an Update while your AxiomAir is still on your network. We are on Version 2.09 now.

I will have the max volume feature put back in. It will come with a future update.

Your phone does not want to be on two networks at the same time so shutting off the cell network when using the Hotspot is a good plan or you will be dropping the Hotspot all the time. You also do not want to use the Hotspot when you are around a network your phone has the credentials for or it will always keep defaulting back to the network that is on the internet.

Last edited by Ian; 01/05/19 08:53 PM.

Ian Colquhoun
linkstatic #430858 01/05/19 09:00 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi linkstatic,

I am not having any problem switching between the various AxiomAirs around my place from either the Android or Apple Apps. I would suggest closing the App, rebooting your AxiomAirs, then reopening the App. The App finds the IP address for your AxiomAirs on your network and it may have some old ones in its cache.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430883 01/06/19 06:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This is great.
Thanks Ian.
I hope all this gets put into the new user manual.

Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Chesseroo,

Apple will only ask you about putting the AirPlay speaker on your network once. You can go ahead and do that, then open the AxiomAir App, click on the gear, click on Network, then connect to your network again but put a bogus password in. This will cause the AxiomAir to go back to Hotspot and forget your home network going forward.
Your phone does not want to be on two networks at the same time so shutting off the cell network when using the Hotspot is a good plan or you will be dropping the Hotspot all the time. You also do not want to use the Hotspot when you are around a network your phone has the credentials for or it will always keep defaulting back to the network that is on the internet.

I got all that done. The iPhone now easily connects to the Air via the app and via the wifi settings.
The weird part is i'm having trouble getting the Android now to have Bubble consistently recognize the Air as a renderer especially when switching between control with the iPhone and Android. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
If i reboot both the Android phone and the Air, i can get control again. It's weird because the Android phone can connect to the Air via wifi settings, yet Bubble just doesn't see it as a renderer.
One thing i have yet to test a few times to be sure this method works 100% is a very specific setup procedure that seemed to work smoothly after the reboot.

1) Find Axiom Air on the wifi settings in Android (i'm using a Pixel 2 so it may be possible this is specific to the Google product and not all Android phones).
2) Connect BUT do not open the popup tab that asks for a login. Just ignore this.
3) Open the Air UI in the app or in a browser if needed.
4) Make sure the unit is not set to analog input.
5) Now open BubbleUPNP and see if the Air is listed as a renderer.

Quote:

I will have the max volume feature put back in. It will come with a future update.

This is fantastic.
Really a necessary feature to keep guests/kids from putting it into a distortion level of volume. I had it kicked up to 100% the other day for a few seconds and the Air was rumbling itself off my table.

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/06/19 06:07 PM.

Ian #430896 01/07/19 08:58 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Re the loading of a NAS. This turns out not to be related to the code update but rather a Windows10 update a few months ago. You can load your NAS now by entering your information in manually as it is only the auto scan that is effected.

Enter an Alias for your device, then either enter it’s IP or the exact name of the device (to enter the IP, open Windows Explorer and double-click on the NAS. The resulting window that opens in your browser will have the IP address).

To enter the name, enter the name of your device as your computer sees it (eg “WDMYCLOUD”).

For the Path use Public or whatever the name of the folder is that contains your music.

Save.

We will write a fix for the automatic scanning so it works with the latest Windows10 but this is going to take a few weeks.

Last edited by Ian; 01/07/19 08:59 AM.

Ian Colquhoun
chesseroo #430933 01/16/19 02:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
So I picked up a Bluetooth dongle and have plugged it in to test things out.
It works quite smooth. Not really any big issues.
If you want to switch to another person though, the first person has to disconnect from it. That's ok so people are not bumping each other off by logging in after each other. A 2nd unit can connect via BT after the first person and it looks connected, but only the first person playing anything will get priority it seems.
If someone is hogging the unit, the only way i can think of to get them off is to reboot the Air.

One other weird thing is that in BT mode using Bubble on Android, my volume maxes out at 25 instead of the usual 100. Moving at increments of 5 means the unit volume goes from 0, 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100% with nothing in between. I think i can set this value differently in Bubble but if i set it to increments of 1 and then i go back to a different renderer for playback, it would take me awhile to change the volume on a 100 scale.

On a side note, i swear the Air sounds more bassy using BT than wifi. This is something i have yet to test more thoroughly.

Ian #430940 01/16/19 01:51 PM
M
regular
regular
M
Hello Ian.
I just upgraded to 2.09 but my NAS mount isn't working. Seems straight forward but I see a yellow box at the top right hand corner indicating "access denied" I checked permissions on the NAS and it's wide open. What else can I check? It worked before I upgraded.

Alias - NAS (doesn't matter what this is)
IP Address - 192.168.2.10
Path - download (this is mount point of my nas. My music is in a subfolder "music" I also tried Z:\music. Z is the drive letter of the download mount.)
Share file type - nfs

mn101 #430945 01/17/19 08:56 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi mn101,

We are working on a fix for the auto-scan right now that should be ready as early as today. But I am not sure why entering the information manually as you are doing is not working. If the code update we are doing now does not fix this for you we can dig a bit deeper and get it working.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430948 01/17/19 01:10 PM
M
regular
regular
M
Thanks very much Ian. I'll keep looking at the Windows 10 security setting as the error indicates permission issues. But it was working before the upgrade and adding the drive manually is straight forward. Talk soon.

Mike

Ian #430953 01/18/19 09:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the update Ian. I updated to 2.09 with no problems and the system seems to be very stable and MUCH more responsive. I can play through the app as well as directly using airplay. I ordered a Bluetooth dongle so I'll try that too once I get it.

One problem I had before and I still have is that if I stop playing music, for even a minute, the iPhone disconnects from the AxiomAir, and I need to reconnect. Is there a fix for this?

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
Ian #430954 01/18/19 09:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I should note this happens when using AirPlay, not the AA UI.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #430968 01/19/19 09:13 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi SRoode,

Are you using iTunes to play over AirPlay? I would suggest doing an iTunes update and check you are running the latest iOS. The recent updates Apple has been doing effect AirPlay.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430972 01/19/19 06:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Ian,

This is Steve from Fishers, IN. No, I usually use the Amazon Music app, then choose airplay as the output device. It drops out no matter what app I use (iTunes included) except for the AA UI. If I don't have a song playing for about 10 seconds it loses connection and I have to reconnect.

Steve

SRoode #430979 01/20/19 08:09 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Steve,

I have not been able to replicate this with iTunes from my computer; it works great and even remembers the last AxiomAir I was on when I close it and reopen it. My phone is a whole different story. It does just what you are experiencing. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon. We are currently working on the AirPlay2 implementation which may fix this also.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430983 01/20/19 11:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks Ian!

chesseroo #430991 01/21/19 07:21 PM
M
regular
regular
M
Hey there.
I just got t"he BT dongle. Plugged it in and after I paired it I tried to connect and I get the error message: "can't connect to Axiomair". I'm doing it though my Samsung S8. Should have been simple. Checked settings and there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it to connect to the speaker.

Mike.

mn101 #430992 01/21/19 07:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By mn101
Hey there.
I just got t"he BT dongle. Plugged it in and after I paired it I tried to connect and I get the error message: "can't connect to Axiomair". I'm doing it though my Samsung S8. Should have been simple. Checked settings and there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it to connect to the speaker.

Make sure you are not connected to the Air via wifi at the same time on your phone. I found that if i'm connected via wifi, the BT will pair but then i can't actually use the BT connection. I vaguely recall getting an error message similar to yourself but something like that was the simple solution. I have not had any problems with the BT otherwise using Android.

Ian #431111 01/26/19 01:24 AM
M
M
Wow, Ian congrats! My best bud just upgraded his Air after owning it since the Kickstarter days. He's supremely pleased with Spotify and the media server connection. When he's a happy camper, it surely must mean it's well-baked.

It's got me thinking I should buy one again. I just have to get over the fact those two speakers are barely a shoulder width apart.

Mojo #431171 01/31/19 08:33 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Mojo,

We do some fancy head-fakes to make it seem like they are further apart!

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431176 01/31/19 09:05 PM
M
M
Yes...well...I have started Yoga and look forward to being able to match your head-fakes once I limber up. smile

BTW, Yoga with ambient music through M100s, VP160, QS10s and an 800 in 'nad tickler mode is soooo dreamy! I highly recommend it to all Axiomites.

House of the Rising Sone
Ian #431181 02/01/19 11:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Steve,

I have not been able to replicate this with iTunes from my computer; it works great and even remembers the last AxiomAir I was on when I close it and reopen it. My phone is a whole different story. It does just what you are experiencing. Hopefully Apple will fix this soon. We are currently working on the AirPlay2 implementation which may fix this also.

Hey Ian,

Just to let you know I plugged my new BT Dongle in the AA and it worked like a charm. Totally plug and play. No dropouts either like when trying to use AirPlay. I tried AirPlay on another device using AirPort Express and it drops out there too, so it's definitely and AirPlay thing, not an AA thing. Thanks again for all your help!

Ian #431183 02/02/19 10:15 PM
R
regular
regular
R
Hey there,

I purchased my AxiomAir through Kickstarter and have mostly used it physically wired to my iPad while I ran or cycled in my basement.

I went through all the steps for the update, but had some issues, but eventually got through them. The device now has version 2.09 installed, but when it boots, I the device yells "Quality Control Failed" 3 times at me. I can't find anything regarding what to do when this happens. Any advice?

Thanks,

Richard

RichardMcD #431196 02/04/19 05:36 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Richard,

That should only happen one time after each Delete User Data. It should not happen on just a reboot now that you have v2.09. Has it stopped doing the QC Passed now?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431228 02/07/19 04:16 PM
S
S
Any word on the scanning update? Searching the error suggests that my NAS is old and needs a different code suffix to be found by the AA. Everything works by attaching my NAS backup drive but I'd prefer to have full functionality. Thanks!

Stephen

Ian #431276 02/13/19 03:38 PM
R
regular
regular
R
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Richard,

That should only happen one time after each Delete User Data. It should not happen on just a reboot now that you have v2.09. Has it stopped doing the QC Passed now?

Hi Ian,

Actually, I just started the device and the message I get is "Quality Control Failed", 3 times in a row. This is the same behaviour i got when I updated the device. I can open the app on my iPhone so I checked the version and it is indeed 2.09. I'm open to suggestions on how to address this issue.

Richard

SMcElroy #431283 02/14/19 07:59 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Stephen,

We have the automatic NAS mounting working with the latest version of Windows now. The update to version 2.10 will be coming next week.

Ian Colquhoun
RichardMcD #431284 02/14/19 08:05 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Richard,

Something is corrupted if you are getting that message. We can either send you a new SD Card or we can bring your AxiomAir back to the factory and we will do all the updating and checking here. I prefer the latter option as then it will be done with minimal hassle and guessing. If you could send me a PM with your current address info we can take it from there.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431318 02/16/19 02:24 PM
R
regular
regular
R
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Richard,

Something is corrupted if you are getting that message. We can either send you a new SD Card or we can bring your AxiomAir back to the factory and we will do all the updating and checking here. I prefer the latter option as then it will be done with minimal hassle and guessing. If you could send me a PM with your current address info we can take it from there.

Hello Ian, I sent in my contact info via a PM. Let me know if you did not receive it.

Regards,

Richard McDonald

Ian #431482 02/28/19 11:51 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
The update for version 2.10 is now available.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431483 03/01/19 12:40 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
How do I change inputs? I see the new button in the app but they don’t do anything.

Just press??

Regards,

Shawzy44

Ian #431484 03/01/19 01:02 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I figured out the issue. After the update the input and sub out ports have switched!

I plugged the cable into the sub out and bam! It worked.

Last edited by Shawzy44; 03/01/19 01:23 AM.

Regards,

Shawzy44

Ian #431485 03/01/19 01:26 AM
M
M
Is that a defect?

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #431520 03/04/19 06:52 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
This is a curious one because the code does not have anything to do with the Sub Out or the Analog In on a v1 N3. Does the Analog In on the front work as an Analog Input?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431526 03/05/19 01:04 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
The front input no longer works. Only when I use the 'sub out' as the input. Very strange.

Last edited by Shawzy44; 03/05/19 01:05 AM.

Regards,

Shawzy44

Ian #431527 03/05/19 01:15 AM
M
M
An analog output morphed into an analog input? I really want to hear the punchline on this one!

House of the Rising Sone
Shawzy44 #431532 03/05/19 11:21 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Shawzy44,

I think we have solved this mystery. The Sub Out would always work as an input, though not ideal. Can you go to the gear, then System, and Delete User Data. This should bring your Analog input back to life.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431533 03/06/19 12:08 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks Ian!

That worked. Everything is working as it should.

Kevin.

Regards,

Shawzy44

Ian #431534 03/06/19 12:24 AM
M
M
Ah, the old "go to the gear, then System, and Delete User Data" trick.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #431535 03/06/19 01:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By Mojo
Ah, the old "go to the gear, then System, and Delete User Data" trick.

Would I lose my connoisseur ranking?

Ian #431536 03/06/19 02:04 AM
M
M
Are you kidding? You live in Fishers. Everyone is a connoisseur there. Discounting the snow and ice storms, it looks like a nice place.

House of the Rising Sone
Ian #431548 03/08/19 12:01 AM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
Hi Axiom/Ian
I have my AA upgraded to V2.10.2.
I reported on Page 1 or 2 here that when using bluetooth my AA is way too loud. I was playing audio with my FiiO X5III which runs android but has volume from 1-100 as apposed to the typical android which has 8-12 volume levels. With the current AA firmware nothing has changed. I tested with my phone and volume works as expected, not too loud. So it seams to be an issue with using a device that has volume from 1-100. I have quite a few bluetooth speakers and they all work fine with my FiiO X5III which leads me to believe its an issue with the AA and not the dongle. So as it stands when my volume is at 1 it's kinda loud, 2 is pretty loud, and 3 is quite loud. I stopped testing at 18 which was way too loud. I hope this info is useful. A final note is that windows 10 plays at a normal volume, around 50 out of 100 is fine.

SOAD #431550 03/08/19 12:32 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
There is a new release today to version 2.10.2 for the AxiomAir.

I have not heard of any Bluetooth volume issues. Has FiiO released a new update to their software recently? There seem to be a lot of reported problems with their software and volume control that they were going to fix with a new update.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431551 03/08/19 01:17 AM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
I'm on the newest AA version 2.10.2. FiiO just did a major update and I'm on their latest too.
Volume between my Axiom Air and the FiiO is the same as before the updates of my FiiO and AA. I have bluetooth headphones and speakers that work fine with the FiiO. Just my AA that has issues. I am happy to do further testing/troubleshooting. Just let me know what I can do.
I use the FiiO quite regularity over wifi with my AA and volume works as expected so it the issue is only over bluetooth.
I ordered a new dongle to test but I messed up and didn't get one with 4.0. I may order yet another to try.

SOAD #431570 03/10/19 07:47 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Version 2.10.3 is now available.

This version does not have any changes to Bluetooth. We will need to look into why the FiiO has this problem.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431623 03/18/19 12:56 PM
G
G
It possibly better than ordinary to have a web site page associated from the Air mainpage for the entire updates all together if folks must real come again to prior interpretations no? It could in like manner be a incredible inspiration to place the invigorate headings on this page with various notes about the adjustments and bug fixes in each and every, or might be the couple of 'identified' working variations.

Ian #431704 04/04/19 03:09 PM
M
buff
buff
M
Since the big update (now in the 2.10...) everything works except Bubble. I've been using the licenced version on the AA for years now. I can access the tidal library via bubble and add tracks to the playlist but playback will not occur (i.e. when I press play, track duration does not move/no sound). Casting from WMP from my PC works (as noted above).

I've reinstalled the bubble app on my android device (Samsung Galaxy s6) and reconfirmed my tidal account with the app.

Also, I am able to stream the created playlist to my marantz AVR.

Am I missing a step in the process or is the bubble thing still an issue?

Last edited by Metal_Manic; 04/04/19 03:20 PM.
Metal_Manic #431717 04/05/19 07:47 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Is this only happening when using TIDAL in Bubble? Are other sources in Bubble working?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431723 04/05/19 03:55 PM
M
buff
buff
M
Yes. I can stream content from bubble to my marantz AVR and to other sources. Weird.

Metal_Manic #431740 04/08/19 06:17 PM
M
buff
buff
M
Thoughts anyone? This issue has still not resolved.

Ian #431751 04/10/19 02:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes well, this is very specialized problem, do you agree? So give them time. You are probably the only one with this "problem". If everything else works, for now, do everything else.

Metal_Manic #431757 04/10/19 08:05 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Bubble seems to working fine, but TIDAL through Bubble is treated differently so we will need to make a change for that. In the meantime you can stream TIDAL through the AxiomAir App.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #431763 04/10/19 09:16 PM
M
buff
buff
M
Thanks Ian.

The only reason I have bubble is to stream to the AA. I had no clue that I could via the AA app. There you go. I'm pleased with this alternative

Last edited by Metal_Manic; 04/10/19 09:22 PM.
Ian #431879 04/18/19 08:12 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
How do I move to version 2.10?

I selected check updates and nothing is found.

I see the following:
System Version: 1.363 Released: Wed Mar 22 01:00:47 CET 2017

Also, when I go to the App Store, i do not see an update link.

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
Ian #431907 04/23/19 07:10 AM
devotee
devotee
Ian, one thing to check with the devs - it appears the AA Wifi is using CH4 (2.4). This is a bad idea, it really should be using one of the non overlapping CH1, 6 or 11. Using CH4 will just create interference for 1 and 6.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
Ian #432017 04/30/19 06:06 AM
M
M
Bump

House of the Rising Sone
Nachosgrande #432067 05/03/19 05:38 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Nachosgrande,

I have sent you a PM with the instructions on how to do this update. Once you have Version 2 the Updates will return to just a tap of the Check Updates button on the System page.

Ian Colquhoun
Mojo #432452 06/04/19 11:55 AM
L
frequent flier
frequent flier
L
I have 2 Axiom Airs, an N3 and an RP1. I have upgraded the firmware to V2.10.3 on the N3, but left it at the last update before the BIG update on the RP1.

Do both need to be at the same version for the multiple room and IOS app to work? The reason I ask this is that the last time I tried this and did the BIG update on both my multiple room capability stopped and the IOS app could not find multiple Airs when I tried to switch control between them. At that time I had updated both to the then new version. I got so frustrated I reverted back to the old version where multi-room and the app worked correctly.

I thought I would try it again, but am hesitant to do both at the same time. I updated the N3 to the latest version V2.10.3 but left the RP1 where it was.

I am experiencing the same issue again. When I try multi-room both appear in the group but the sound stops even though the time bar is moving. If I stop and start the Play again the time bar moves but no sound.

Also, the IOS app on my iPad just spins the circle of dots when I try to connect from one to the other. I must close the app and restart it each time I want to switch.

If I update the RP1 will everything work? I guess at this point I have nothing to lose in trying, since I already lost multi-room and the control switching capability in the app. It is frustrating since they worked perfectly before, but I would like the new Spotify and Bluetooth capability.

Ian #432470 06/05/19 11:56 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
I updated the latest version and now my wifi doesn't work.I go in my iPhone settings to change my wifi to axiomair and it opens my axiomair app.I exit the axiomair app to go to my music and the wifi changes back to my home wifi.How do I stop the axiomair app from not opening when I change my wifi settings.My Bluetooth works fine but I brought this speaker for the wifi.

linkstatic #432475 06/06/19 05:25 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi linkstatic,

All your AxiomAirs will need to be on the latest version for multi-room to work. Even just switching from one to another will require they are all on the latest version. If you run into any problems doing the big update to version 2 let me know. We can always get them up and running by reflashing the SD card if needed.

Ian Colquhoun
Allen #432476 06/06/19 05:31 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Allen,

It sounds like we just need to get your AxiomAir back on your network. When you go to your WiFi settings and join the AxiomAir network the App will open (as you noted). Once this happens click the gear in the upper right, then click on Network. About half way down the page all the available networks will resolve. Click on the Connect button beside your home network (if you have a choice between 5g and regular, choose regular). You will be prompted to put in your home network password. After this click the connect icon beside the password box. You should now see spinning circles on the App. Close the App and reopen it and you should be good to go.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #432478 06/06/19 11:40 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
Hi Ian
I have no problem connecting to my home wifi.I don't use my axiomair in my house.I what to use the axiomair wifi and use my music from my iPhone.

Allen #432481 06/07/19 06:22 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Allen,

Your phone is going to want to connect to the available network that has internet service. You can tell your phone to forget that network. But I am wondering why you would not want to put your AxiomAir on your network while you are at home? The Hotspot is designed for when there is no network available, and your phone will stay connected it to it in this case.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #432500 06/08/19 11:36 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
Hi Ian,
My wifi works fine now.Today I wanted to use the analog and my analog button doesn't work.

Ian #432501 06/09/19 09:11 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Allen,

When you tap the Analog button in the UI the song information should change to say Analog Input. What happens with yours?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #432502 06/09/19 12:59 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
Hi Ian
Nothing happens.I want to connect my iPod with a cable to the axiomair analog input.

Ian #432503 06/09/19 03:23 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Allen,

If you tap the gear, then System, what version of the code do you have?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #432508 06/10/19 12:17 AM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A

Allen #432514 06/10/19 06:06 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
The latest version is 2.10.3 which you can get to by clicking the Check Updates button.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #432522 06/10/19 08:07 PM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
I have the latest version,Analog output doesn't work.The blue analog button doesn't do anything

Allen #432525 06/11/19 06:53 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
This one is a complete mystery. Version 2.10.3 of the code does change the song information to Analog Input when I click mine. I can also hear the relay in my AxiomAir v1 switch on.

If you can send us the details here https://www.axiomaudio.com/contacts we can organize to bring it back to the factory to check it out.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #432528 06/12/19 12:14 AM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
Hi Ian,
I took both of my batteries out plug into the outlet. Everything works now.I put the batteries back in everything works fine.Thanks for your support.

Ian #432529 06/12/19 02:26 AM
M
M
yoYOO ALleN, $TOp BreaKin' Ian'$$ $hiT,, YO!

House of the Rising Sone
Ian #434730 12/11/19 05:03 PM
M
M
How can I obtain the new firmware version?
I found the latest firmware on the forum

Last edited by mml265; 12/11/19 05:21 PM.
mml265 #434752 12/13/19 08:33 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi mml265,

I will PM you the instructions to reflash your SD Card to get to version 2.10.4 Once you have done this update all future updates will be available from the Check Updates button on the System page.

Ian Colquhoun
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082