AxiomAir System Version 2.08
#430569 12/01/18 07:58 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Over the past year we have completely rebuilt the AxiomAir operating system. In order to get the update to this new software a one-time major update or your AxiomAir is required.

New Features :
• Spotify Support
• Bluetooth Support (requires USB 4.0 Dongle)
• New multi-room implementation
• New software update system (faster updates)
• Improved Network connectivity when using repeaters

Upgrade requirements :

In order to complete this update, you will need a USB Flash Drive formatted in FAT32 with a minimum of 2GB of available space. Note: FAT32 is the standard format for USB Flash Drives at or below 32Gb. We recommend avoiding Flash Drives larger than 32Gb as formatting them in FAT32 might require partitioning which is a more complicated process.

During this process, you will be asked to reset your AxiomAir’s settings to the new factory defaults by erasing all user data. This step is required as the new version of the Air’s operating system is incompatible with the older version’s settings.

Warning: During this process, your AxiomAir will play a quality control message. This message will be VERY LOUD. Do not be alarmed, this is expected and will only happen once.

Upgrade procedure :

1. Download the upgrade package from https://s3.amazonaws.com/axiom-air-install-files/AxiomAirV1/AxiomAirV1-USB-Update-V2.08.zip
2. Extract the 2 files (axiomair.fir and stage2.pack) into the root of your flash drive (do not store them in any subfolder)
3. Power down your AxiomAir
4. Remove all USB attachments from the AxiomAir.
5. Plug the USB Flash drive containing the upgrade files into the AxiomAir
6. Plug your AxiomAir into your router with an Ethernet cable
7. Power up the AxiomAir
8. Wait for at least 10 minutes (during this process, the AxiomAir will restart on its own twice. You may hear it play the startup chimes twice but not necessarily. They may play just once)
9. After 10 minutes, connect to your AxiomAir’s UI, click the gear icon on the top right corner of the screen and choose “System”. Your system version should now be 2.08 (Note: the AxiomAir will open as normal from the Android or Apple App, from a PC when you double click on the AxiomAir from File Explorer / Network / Media Devices you will need to copy the IP address into a browser to access the AxiomAir this one time)
10. If you have confirmed that you are running version 2.08, remove the USB Flash Drive from your AxiomAir.
11. Click the “Delete User Data” button and choose “Yes” to reboot.
12. Wait at least 10 minutes (you will hear the “Quality Control Passed” message at least once. It may be followed by the startup chimes but they might be a little too faint to hear)
13. Plug the other USB attachments back in (if you would like Bluetooth also plug in a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle)
14. Reboot your AxiomAir
15. Connect to your AxiomAir UI again, click on the gear, then Network. Part way down the page you will see your home network listed, click Connect beside your home network (if you have a 5g and a regular option, pick the regular one), enter your Network password, then click Connect beside the password.
16. Unplug the Ethernet cable and reboot your AxiomAir
17. Connect to the AxiomAir UI again, click the gear in the upper right, then System, then at the bottom of the page click Check Updates. After the Update is complete you will be prompted to reboot your AxiomAir one more time
18. Your upgrade is complete and your AxiomAir is on its new factory settings with the latest version

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Re: AxiomAir System Version 2.08
Ian #430573 12/03/18 06:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This is great Ian. A long awaited update!
Will try this update after the weekend is done. The speaker is slated for use and i don't want to run into any as yet unknown glitches. Otherwise looking forward to seeing this update in practice sometime next week.

A few questions.
First, the most obvious, how does one procure the USB hardware addon for Bluetooth?

Second, it was mentioned in another post that replacing the Raspberry Pi with the new v3 will garner additional speed, but does the new v3 also come with wifi and Bluetooth onboard such that no extra addon is required?
If so, is it possible to put the RPi v3 into any of the Air builds?
Rather than have both a wifi and Bluetooth USB addon, plus to get additional startup/shutdown speed, i would consider swapping the existing Rasperry for the newer v3.
Just need to know if this is possible.

Lastly, once the Bluetooth is functional, are there instructions on how users can connect to the Air?
Will there be a new user manual coming out?

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/03/18 06:54 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ian #430575 12/03/18 09:52 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Congrats on this release, Ian. As Chess has said, many have been waiting. Do you have a robot army at work because there's so much going on?!

Anyone running the update should do so on AC power or a full battery or maybe both just to be safe.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Ian #430576 12/04/18 08:07 AM
devotee
devotee
I can confirm that the new version is great and works well with Spotify (I don't use BT so did not test that). You can do the upgrade on power or battery and I found it only takes about 5minutes. I've been testing for a couple of weeks and it seems rock solid. Well done Ian.
Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by jmone; 12/04/18 08:15 AM.

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs
chesseroo #430577 12/04/18 08:08 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Chesseroo,

Any 4.0 Bluetooth dongle should work no problem. I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all work.

Changing the Pi is reasonably simple but does require a refresh of the SD Card and initial boot plugged in with an Ethernet cable. This said the on-board Bluetooth antenna in the Pi3 or Pi3 B+ will not work, you would still need a dongle. The built in WiFi on the Pi 3B+ is strong enough to not need the WiFi dongle, and depending on circumstances, the Pi3 one may be sufficient too.

The new N3 v2 manual will be on-line on the product page next week. But the Bluetooth does not require any button pushing on the UI, it is just always available. Just stop anything you are playing, pair your device over Bluetooth, and it will work.

Ian Colquhoun
Mojo #430578 12/04/18 08:19 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Mojo,

Yes, this is the big Update we have been working on. A BIG thanks to Guillaume for making it happen! It is much bigger than just the addition of Spotify and Bluetooth as it also allows us to make changes and add features much easier going forward. Once the update has been done this time using the USB drive, all future Updates will be back to just the button push on the System page. Even the Updater itself works much better now.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430581 12/04/18 04:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Chesseroo,

Any 4.0 Bluetooth dongle should work no problem. I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all work.

Can you recommend one that will fit when the door is closed? Similar to the size of the present wifi plugin.
And preferably something with LED indicators so you know it is on, working, being accessed..
I saw a few online that look huge and some were stupid expensive while others cost $2 which is almost unnerving. I can't have the door open all the time and it would be nice to have the lights indicating functionality but want a quality unit.

Quote:

Changing the Pi is reasonably simple but does require a refresh of the SD Card and initial boot plugged in with an Ethernet cable. This said the on-board Bluetooth antenna in the Pi3 or Pi3 B+ will not work, you would still need a dongle. The built in WiFi on the Pi 3B+ is strong enough to not need the WiFi dongle, and depending on circumstances, the Pi3 one may be sufficient too.

Ok so i might switch to the newer Pi after hockey season ends but knowing it would still need a BT dongle.
Install new RPi 3 with old Pi physical connections (assume the internal cabling is identical).
Hook up to online updater via ethernet connection and update that way first.
Download new update onto usb (for now) and update for a second time according to earlier instructions in this thread to RPi 3.

Quote:

The new N3 v2 manual will be on-line on the product page next week. But the Bluetooth does not require any button pushing on the UI, it is just always available. Just stop anything you are playing, pair your device over Bluetooth, and it will work.

Great to hear a new manual is coming out. The instructions on the old one seem wonky now. I've worked out a method to access the Air from my Pixel2 (Android) but i've still had app issues with BubblePNP. Sometimes it locks at a max. # of songs on its playlists in a weird way, and i don't have an easy and fast way of making up playlists to upload like we can using iPods. I would make up the playlists on the home computer then upload the playlists to the iPod. Trying to make a playlist on the BubblePNP on a phone dragging one song at a time and having this dumb max. # of songs weirdness is impossible on the Pixel. It also doesn't recognize individual folders such that i can't just dump 100 songs into a folder labeled "Playlist 1" and have Bubble only play the songs in that folder.

That aside, if the BT is always active, how will it work if someone is accessing the Air via wifi and then someone else auto connects to the BT?
Does person A get knocked off?
They can't both function at the same time i would think.

chesseroo #430584 12/04/18 06:28 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
This one works well

https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-V4-0-3-W...luetooth+dongle

It does have a flashing blue light to indicate it is on.

If you do go to the Pi3 let me know and I will send you a special link to get code to reflash your SD card.

Have you tried putting the Playlist on a USB drive and playing it from the AxiomAir UI? This works really well.

It is a "last button pushed" order of priority so if someone plays something over Bluetooth it will take over from what was playing on WiFi and vise versa. We do however recommend you stop playing one thing before going to the next because sometimes a timing error will occur if you don't, and you will get odd song title and volume things that require a song switch or volume touch to clear.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430585 12/05/18 02:55 AM
S
frequent flier
frequent flier
S
I did the upgrade on my AxiomAir and it went fine, but now I'm having a couple issues.

1) Axiom air doesn't show up on BubbleUPnP. It does however show up in JRiver.

2) Volume is glitchy. When I try to change volume in JRiver or JRemote the volume mutes. Any changes done in the Axiom app are not reflected in JRiver.

I did my upgrade on a PI3B (purchased with card from Axiom).
I would like to switch a a PI3B+. Can I simply move my SD card over or should I get a fresh card from you guys?

Oh yeah. Bluetooth works well but is very loud. My bluetooth volume is around 3-6 when my wifi volume is around 70 (70 is probably a little higher than typical users because of volume leveling done before audio is sent to AxiomAir).

SOAD #430586 12/05/18 03:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By SOAD
I did the upgrade on my AxiomAir and it went fine, but now I'm having a couple issues.

1) Axiom air doesn't show up on BubbleUPnP. It does however show up in JRiver.

Good to know. It wasn't anywhere in the renderer choice selections?
Did reinstalling Bubble have any effect?
Is this the free or paid version?

Quote:

Oh yeah. Bluetooth works well but is very loud. My bluetooth volume is around 3-6 when my wifi volume is around 70 (70 is probably a little higher than typical users because of volume leveling done before audio is sent to AxiomAir).

Also interesting to know. I wonder if this has anything to do with JRiver or the BT module specifically (signal interpretation and enhancement? I wouldn't think so though since the BT adapter isn't the point of audio signal interpretation)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020