Timmeh #430733 12/18/18 06:04 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

If you plug in an Ethernet cable to your AxiomAir do these problems of choppy WebRadio stations and the unresponsive UI go away?

For Spotify are you using the free or paid version of Spotify?

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Re: AxiomAir System Version 2.08
Ian #430736 12/18/18 10:30 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I’m assuming you want me to remove the wifi dongle before plugging it in to the router via Ethernet cable?

I’m using free Spotify

With the USB dongle removed and the speaker plugged into my router via Ethernet cable I can airdrop to the speaker and listen to music on my phone or use music apps on my phone. I cannot access the speaker UI when I go to it’s ip address (nothing loads) so I cannot say if the radio stations in the ui come in choppy or not.

With the USB dongle in and speaker hardwired to router, I get the same as above. The wifi dongle is not flashing it’s blue light like usual, and I cannot log into its ip.

I powered down th speaker, disconnected the Ethernet cable, left the USB dongle connected and restarted. The speaker now shows up in my wifi options on my phone and I can connect to it and access my music USB, play and adjust volume as I have in the past. When I go to the home screen where radio stations are normally listed, there are none, as though the speaker is not connected to the internet. It also no longer shows up in my phone to airdrop to.

So it seems it acts either like a plain speaker which I can access and play the on-board music OR it acts as an airdrop speaker I can use to play music and apps from my phone. It doesn’t have the functionality to access web radio from the UI like it could yesterday so I have no idea if it’s choppy or not. Of the forms of playback it is able to do, seems clear. But now I don’t know how to turn it back into a unit I can airdrop to....

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/18/18 11:11 PM.
Timmeh #430744 12/19/18 06:54 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

You can leave the WiFi dongle plugged in when you plug in the Ethernet cable. Plugging in the Ethernet cable will put your AxiomAir on your network. When your AxiomAir is on your network the Hotspot IP address will not resolve the UI as your router will give your AxiomAir a new IP address. It sounds like we just need to sort out the best way for you to access the music you want and the UI; this will likely be to put your AxiomAir on your network. I think this will best be resolved on the phone.

The free Spotify does not have Spotify Connect available.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430746 12/19/18 03:25 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Ok so it seems that the speaker is working as intended to start in its own wifi mode. This is appropriate for when I take the speaker to the beach or camping, etc and I want to access the UI so as to play the music on the USB I have attached to it.

But my confusion is this- why would the speaker join my Network at all? Why am I not able to just airdrop to it like my kid’s Bluetooth speaker? We turn it on and voila it’s right there in our airdrop list. Does the AA not work like this because I need to have a Bluetooth dongle for it?

It seems to me I should be able to turn it on and access it through its wifi hotspot as well as find it in my phone to airdrop my music or run apps through. It does both at the moment but only one or the other at a time. I’m guessing if I went into the Network list and found my router and logged in, it would join up (I haven’t tried yet) and I would be able to find it as an airdrop but why should I have to connect it to my Network to airdrop to it? Why does it not just show up like a Bluetooth speaker does? I’m pretty sure this has worked before because I’ve been camping with no Network available and I seem to recall being able to play music from my phone through the AA.

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/19/18 03:50 PM.
Timmeh #430752 12/19/18 09:04 PM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

If the blue LED on the left side is solid blue or you have an Ethernet cable plugged in then your AxiomAir is on your network. In this condition you will be able to use AirPlay from iTunes or any Apple device that is on the same network.

When you take your AxiomAir out of range of your network it will automatically switch to Hotspot mode and the blue LED will begin to flash. In this mode your AxiomAir will show up as a WiFi network you can join and then you will be able to access the UI by the App, by typing AxiomAir.local into a web browser, or by typing 192.168.211.1 into a web browser. You will be able to play songs from a USB drive or over AirPlay if the songs are resident on your device. We now also have Bluetooth as an option to connect with when away from your network but you would need a Bluetooth dongle plugged in for this to work.

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430755 12/19/18 11:44 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
i will try using the app- I didn't realize there was one now.

So far this all seems to work as intended except for me being able to airdrop to it when it is in hotspot mode. I will fiddle some more...

Thanks

Last edited by Timmeh; 12/19/18 11:57 PM.
Ian #430756 12/20/18 01:11 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Timmeh,

If the blue LED on the left side is solid blue or you have an Ethernet cable plugged in then your AxiomAir is on your network. In this condition you will be able to use AirPlay from iTunes or any Apple device that is on the same network.

When you take your AxiomAir out of range of your network it will automatically switch to Hotspot mode and the blue LED will begin to flash. In this mode your AxiomAir will show up as a WiFi network you can join and then you will be able to access the UI by the App, by typing AxiomAir.local into a web browser, or by typing 192.168.211.1 into a web browser. You will be able to play songs from a USB drive or over AirPlay if the songs are resident on your device. We now also have Bluetooth as an option to connect with when away from your network but you would need a Bluetooth dongle plugged in for this to work.

So I turned on the speaker and it defaulted to join my Network this time. It doesn’t seem to do the same thing at start up for some reason.

Anyway, I tried the app out and it will not find the speaker. Maybe it only works when the speaker is in hotspot mode? If so, that makes no sense at all. Also the ip for the speaker seems to be different than the number you provided. I can now connect using my phone browser to control on-board music. I can also airdrop to it and stream music from my phone but it is extremely choppy as before.

Quite frankly, this process is so convoluted and confusing I really don’t have the energy to spend on it any more. Hopefully this will all be fixed and I will once again be able to stream music from my phone to this speaker and not have it completely garbled and breaking up.

Timmeh #430761 12/22/18 11:22 AM
Ian Offline OP
President
connoisseur
OP Offline
President
connoisseur
Hi Timmeh,

The problems you are running into are unique to you so we will need to do some troubleshooting to fix them. If you plug your AxiomAir into your router with an Ethernet cable does the choppiness go away?

Ian Colquhoun
Ian #430771 12/23/18 06:22 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Timmeh,

The problems you are running into are unique to you so we will need to do some troubleshooting to fix them. If you plug your AxiomAir into your router with an Ethernet cable does the choppiness go away?

Yes it does. Playback is clear when plugged in. When wireless, it's choppy. And to be honest, I've never had more than 10-15 feet of range on wireless before it would get choppy, when using the speaker's hotspot. But now it's bad even from 2 feet away.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  Andrew, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters