Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Paradigm Prestige?
LaRazaUnida #430868 01/05/19 11:56 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks so much Mojo! I have followed your posts for quite sometime and I greatly appreciate your candid responses and honest feedback. After further discussion with the wife, I have decided that I will be purchasing the Axiom system! The purchase will not happen until the Fall BUT it will FINALLY happen!!

I am going to end up with M100,QS10, and the VP180.

As for the sub, WAF is still an important factor. Performance wise, I see that for music the EP800 is THE sub according to Craig Chase. I do not mean to sound like a complete noob or power hussy—but how does the EP800 compete with a sub like the PSA S3611? The PSA is several hundred dollars less, more than double the power, dual 18” vs dual 12”, weighs more even though it is smaller, and reaches around 100dbd down to 10hz on many reviews. I ask because I truly do not know the answer. The sub will be the last piece of the puzzle for me. At the moment It is the EP800 vs the PSA S3611. BTW-I have followed the progression of threads and posts in regard to the “get punch switch” and this is another reason why I feel secure in going with Axiom and love their customer service. They listen to their consumer/fan base and value their response, loyalty, and feedback. Great customer service that is hard to find.

Lastly, I am looking at the Yamaha Aventage 2080, this should be sufficient to power the Axiom system correct? Thanks again for everyone’s advice and imput. Looking forward to when I am officially a part of the Axiom family laugh

Last edited by LaRazaUnida; 01/06/19 12:22 AM.
LaRazaUnida #430872 01/06/19 12:32 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
The Yammie is more than adequate unless you're planning to be in a cavern.

I can't tell you if the PSA sub sounds better than an 800. It should, given its large drivers, be able to give you a good massage and that's pretty cool for movies. But what about music? I want my sub to play like a musical instrument and my 800 does exactly that. On top of that, it provides great sound effects for movies. I see a few things in the PSA info on their site that I question. The quoted distortion figures are way too low. Even if God himself designed a sub, distortion that low would be impossible. It must be the distortion of the ICE amp alone which really isn't meaningful. On the frequency response curves, I see the response dropping off at about 30Hz. Contrast that to the 800 which starts dropping off around 16Hz or so. And don't just look at frequency response or output but also THD+N and group delay. This is the difference between "tight, fast" bass and slow, loose bass. My 600v2 was slow and loose because it was ported and the amp and DSP were poorly executed. Not so with the 800. Craig Chase is very correct and I would not have believed it unless I heard it for myself.

As for the receiver, I highly recommend you consider going separates. Go with something like an Anthem processor with ARC. As for the power amp, you'll have some interesting choices soon. Keep your options open and don't limit yourself to the M100s. Axiom is coming out with speakers that will have DSPs and linear amplifiers built into them. Each speaker driver will have an amp and no analog filters. This is a panacea for audio. Also don't get too hung up on the 800; the 600 is good enough and allows you to spend some money on those improvements I mentioned above.

It's a good time to be putting a system together, especially at your budget. smile

LaRazaUnida #430875 01/06/19 01:55 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Every point you make is valid. I need to see if anyone is around Lexington or Cincinnati to get a demo! As for the new line up, is this an extension of their omnidirectional line up?

Ian #430877 01/06/19 03:14 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi Mojo,

We have now made the Gut Punch switch a permanent feature for the EP500, EP600, and EP800 subs. Yours is the only one labeled "Nad Tickler" and "Gut Punch" though. Slimpickins has his own special labeling happening on his too.

Like.
Like.
Like.

LaRazaUnida #430878 01/06/19 03:51 AM
M
M
It's not an omnidirectional extension but rather an entirely new digital active speaker line. I don't think any Axiom customers have them yet.

I should correct my typing above. I didn't mean linear amp but rather linear power supply which offers improved transient response over a switching power supply. By the way, that type of power supply is found on all Axiom subs.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
LaRazaUnida #431116 01/27/19 02:50 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey Guys! Didn’t want to start a new thread so I will keep updating this thread on my journey to my HT until it is complete.

So-

Surrounds. After further research, I am shying away from QS10s since everything seems to be going Dolby Atmos including games. I read a few posts on here about monopoles and read the Dolby Atmos thread on AVS.

Anyways. Surrounds. M3s or M5HP? I will be going with in ceiling in M3s. Again this is 50/50 music/HT. Going to do lots of concerts and even some multi channel depending how it sounds.

Any real benefit of M5 vs M3 as surround only? Trying to see if worth price difference.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

LaRazaUnida #431117 01/27/19 04:13 AM
M
M
M5s all the way. As you might remember, I have both. The M3s are nice. Then you hear the M5s and just can't go back. Better bass, better mids and better highs. Better imaging and better soundstage. You will enjoy your concerts and music much more. I can't get enough of the M5s.

LaRazaUnida #431118 01/27/19 04:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado
M5 would probably be better altogether.
The M3 more cost effective.

Here on the forum, some one had the chance to experience. An ATMOS system with all large speakers. Think it was 8inch ceilings, and sides all around. At an audio show. Remember they highly recommended. Enough low end all around.

I use my old M22 as front height in 5.2.2 config. They do a whole lot when playing DTSX. It's wonderful huge sound even on music. Can seem like watching a concert Blue ray with good C.D.s. The low end from the larger driver in the M5 with 7.2.2. Would totally be the cats meow of emersion.

LaRazaUnida #431119 01/27/19 04:37 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Nice! Like always, thanks Mojo! Now I’ll have to find a way to make them not stand out like sore thumbs lol. We are moving to a new home in the summer. Do the M5s need a separate amp as surrounds or should they be solid with power from Aventage 3080? Plan on buying amp for LCR but trying to limit budget as I am quickly rising in potential costs. Still need to set funds aside for the TV. Waiting to see what cost of the Lg 77” C9 will be.

Edit::

Thanks Brendo for that input! I can’t wait for this system to be put together! (Then I’m sure V5s will probably drop right after lol). Brendo-question about in ceiling. Do you think M3s in ceiling will be good enough atmos?

Last edited by LaRazaUnida; 01/27/19 04:45 AM.
LaRazaUnida #431120 01/27/19 04:52 AM
M
M
You're good to go with that Yammie for the M5s.

Regarding v5, I think Axiom has gone about as far as it can in squeezing out performance from their current drivers and crossovers. I can't imagine a v5 without new drivers.

Axiom will be introducing fully active versions for all their speakers. I'd expect improved imaging, improved sensitivity and improved soundstage. Already the v4 is amazing so I can't imagine how much better it can possibly get.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters