Rate Thread
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Re: AVR or pre amp recommendations? Going 4K
michael_d #431749 04/10/19 12:13 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I really can't see how anyone can introduce a new model of receiver with substantial enhancements every year. I don't care how many engineers etc you have working on it, it's just not possible to comprehend the needs, design, implement, test, certify, etc. This shit is complex. You change one seemingly innocuous part and it can doom profits if it fails. But it's been a long time for Anthem. That tells me they are having real problems. Maybe what they're trying to get into production is substantially innovative enough to bruise their brains or...their brains have moved on. Of course I am just speculating as I really have no idea.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
michael_d #431750 04/10/19 02:27 AM
M
M
So I was pumping about 1,730 peak watts into the right M100 that I was doing the measurements on. No idea how it sounded because I had muffs on. Just insane!

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #431754 04/10/19 03:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By Mojo
I really can't see how anyone can introduce a new model of receiver with substantial enhancements every year. I don't care how many engineers etc you have working on it, it's just not possible to comprehend the needs, design, implement, test, certify, etc. This shit is complex. You change one seemingly innocuous part and it can doom profits if it fails. But it's been a long time for Anthem. That tells me they are having real problems. Maybe what they're trying to get into production is substantially innovative enough to bruise their brains or...their brains have moved on. Of course I am just speculating as I really have no idea.

I've have my MRX-1120 for 3 years now, and it is still their flagship receiver, so I completely get the points from you and CV about it being a while. I wouldn't say that they are by any means struggling. There are discussions elsewhere about the product model, and the biggest gripe is Play-Fi not connecting via wifi very well (something that really should have been fixed 3 years ago, but the demand is pretty low). I hear about sales still being pretty strong for the 1120, 720, and AVM60 pre/pro, so again, they aren't struggling there.

When people have brought up on other sites about the age of the current product line, people ask "well, what is missing?" and most people just come up with things about the latest upcoming HDMI spec for the most part, or other connectivity bells or whistles to specific web based apps that don't exist. The Anthem products have never been about bells and whistles, they have been about quality builds and amazing sound. Since their current products can still deliver that even to brand new customers with brand new display and input technologies, I just don't think that they feel the need to do much from a hardware perspective yet.

On aside note, they are releasing their next major release of ARC (Anthem Room Correction) this month. V2 was damn impressive, but this Genesis version is supposed to not only just process things better, but allow you to do what took another $100 mic, REW, and a mini-DSP to accomplish, so I am pretty excited about that. Slated to come out sometime yet this month. So while there are not hardware changes, there are new software innovations from a company whose current room correction software is absolutely amazing already.

With ALL of that said, I still don't know what I will do the next time I need to upgrade. My plan 3 years ago was originally to get into separate amps and a nice pre/pro. I would have done it too if I didn't get the steal of a price on the MRX-1120. It is nice having it all in one box, but I've always wanted to get to the point of dedicated amplification like that. Then again, I am *still* running an old JVC RS45 1080p projector because it looks "damn good" and while I've seen the improvements with even their impressive faux-K lines, Daddy's got other things that he needs to spend money on. LOL

Farewell - June 4, 2020
michael_d #431755 04/10/19 04:23 AM
M
M
Good info. Thanks. Don't go separates but try Axiom actives.

House of the Rising Sone
nickbuol #431756 04/10/19 04:42 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted By nickbuol
I've have my MRX-1120 for 3 years now, and it is still their flagship receiver, so I completely get the points from you and CV about it being a while.

Anthem is still at the top of my list for when I get around to upgrading that portion of my system. I'm putting it off until the end in case they do come out with a new model. I did hear about the new version of ARC coming out, so I wasn't concerned about them resting on their laurels.

nickbuol #431758 04/10/19 01:13 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By nickbuol
Originally Posted By Mojo

I've have my MRX-1120 for 3 years now, and it is still their flagship receiver, so I completely get the points from you and CV about it being a while. I wouldn't say that they are by any means struggling. There are discussions elsewhere about the product model, and the biggest gripe is Play-Fi not connecting via wifi very well (something that really should have been fixed 3 years ago, but the demand is pretty low). I hear about sales still being pretty strong for the 1120, 720, and AVM60 pre/pro, so again, they aren't struggling there.

When people have brought up on other sites about the age of the current product line, people ask "well, what is missing?" and most people just come up with things about the latest upcoming HDMI spec for the most part, or other connectivity bells or whistles to specific web based apps that don't exist. The Anthem products have never been about bells and whistles, they have been about quality builds and amazing sound. Since their current products can still deliver that even to brand new customers with brand new display and input technologies, I just don't think that they feel the need to do much from a hardware perspective yet.

On aside note, they are releasing their next major release of ARC (Anthem Room Correction) this month. V2 was damn impressive, but this Genesis version is supposed to not only just process things better, but allow you to do what took another $100 mic, REW, and a mini-DSP to accomplish, so I am pretty excited about that. Slated to come out sometime yet this month. So while there are not hardware changes, there are new software innovations from a company whose current room correction software is absolutely amazing already.

With ALL of that said, I still don't know what I will do the next time I need to upgrade. My plan 3 years ago was originally to get into separate amps and a nice pre/pro. I would have done it too if I didn't get the steal of a price on the MRX-1120. It is nice having it all in one box, but I've always wanted to get to the point of dedicated amplification like that. Then again, I am *still* running an old JVC RS45 1080p projector because it looks "damn good" and while I've seen the improvements with even their impressive faux-K lines, Daddy's got other things that he needs to spend money on. LOL

I wonder how the new ARC will compare to Dirac Live. If it comes even close to matching Dirac, then the AVM60 will be a hell of a bargain.

Axiom M5HP VP160 M3 ADA1000
Anthem MRX 720
SVS SB-3000 (dual)
michael_d #431759 04/10/19 01:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The biggest change that consumers like me know about is just a feature change where you can set new target curves for it to use when trying to adjust the output. So instead of their very flat response curve (which on paper looks good, but as they say "a flat curve sounds, well, flat") you can do what I want to do and use a house curve for the target. That is the same thing that I was going to do with a Mini-DSP 2x4, Umik-1 mic, and REW 3 months ago, but I never got around to it (I have the mini-dsp and Umik-1 now just sitting idle).

There are other improvements on the processing end, but again, as a consumer, who knows how that will translate into real world experience.

I guess I will find out within a couple of weeks.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
michael_d #431760 04/10/19 03:45 PM
M
M
Nick, when you buy one of these receivers, does Anthem include everything required to tweak curves or do you have to research and buy stuff separately? What UI and app is used to tweak the curves?

House of the Rising Sone
michael_d #431765 04/11/19 01:39 AM
M
MMM Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I am not bothering to read the rest of the thread so sorry if I offend.

I tried Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz and found all of them gave me more of a meh sound that could not wave a stick towards the sound I got from a really old Nakamichi AV1. I tried plugging in different levels of external amps, and that also didn't make any difference.

I eventually gave up and went with the advice of someone here (name alludes me) who is in BC I think. He bought an Anthem and loved it. So I sad F!-it, and just shelled out the cash. I wish I would have done it long ago and saved myself the agro of all the other experiments and time, driving, buying and selling to get no gain.

Anthem just made it sound WOW.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
michael_d #431766 04/11/19 02:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
The Anthem/Paradigm units that use A.R.C. all come with Mic. Anthem units include a stand. Software is a download off their site with mic.#. They even have a phone app. that can be set to your phones mic. response.

If you have REW knowledge or just curiosity, in the app you can change most stuff to your liking. Just need to go through and find what you'd like to do.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup