bman84 #432104 05/05/19 11:58 AM
H
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By bman84
Originally Posted By pheare
Your pic did not work for me. Says the album is empty.

Whoops, this should work:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6qDR6LqwyHmbZMiZA

Thanks bman!

M5HPv4 In-wall LCRs
M2v4 In-Wall Rears
M3v4 In-Ceiling Atmos
Yamaha RX-A3070
Re: M3 In-Ceiling Aimable Tweeter
pheare #432105 05/05/19 12:05 PM
H
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By pheare
Originally Posted By hhiggins
[
Thanks, but my specific question on this thread is the aimable question. In wall speakers are a no-go for me.

Ya, fair enough. Got a little derailed. If you have the in-ceiling m3’s like you say in your original post, can’t you just look and see if it is amiable?

I wasn't about to go start messing around unscrewing my new speakers!

M5HPv4 In-wall LCRs
M2v4 In-Wall Rears
M3v4 In-Ceiling Atmos
Yamaha RX-A3070
hhiggins #432106 05/05/19 01:32 PM
P
old hand
old hand
P
Originally Posted By hhiggins

I wasn't about to go start messing around unscrewing my new speakers!

You can't just take off the grills and simply position the tweeter to the angle you want?

Defined_Images #432107 05/05/19 01:43 PM
P
old hand
old hand
P
Originally Posted By Defined_Images
First off thanks for the info on the M5's dispersion. So if I were to go with the M5's or M3's (in-wall style) in-ceiling how would I place them? Horizontal with the tweeter furthest or closest from MLP or horizontal, tweeter in or outside?

Sitting in the center seat the angle to the in-ceiling speakers is shallower as the distance is further than the end seats. My ears are 3'6" from the floor.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I got a response from Ian saying to place the tweeters closest to the listeners. This was in response to me stating the speakers would be mounted lengthwise (front to back of room). Though I would think the answer would be the same regardless of speaker orientation.

I didn't know the M3 in ceiling had a pointable tweeter. Given this, I may go with them instead.

I can't imagine one would notice much of a difference between the 2 in Atmos duty and having the aimable tweeter will give me a little more 'tweaking' ability.

hhiggins #432108 05/05/19 01:45 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Hi hhiggins,

It is just a slap it in and adjust to how you want it as the gimbal goes in all directions.

The screws are all factory set, you do not need to touch them. You can just push on the tweeter and/or the ring to point the tweeter in the desired direction.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ian #432109 05/05/19 11:36 PM
H
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By Ian
Hi hhiggins,

It is just a slap it in and adjust to how you want it as the gimbal goes in all directions.

The screws are all factory set, you do not need to touch them. You can just push on the tweeter and/or the ring to point the tweeter in the desired direction.

Thank you Sir! Glad I didn’t mess around with the screws. Cheers!

M5HPv4 In-wall LCRs
M2v4 In-Wall Rears
M3v4 In-Ceiling Atmos
Yamaha RX-A3070
hhiggins #432110 05/06/19 03:37 AM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Ian innovates 18 hours a day and when he's sleeping, he's still innovating in his dreams. Somewhere in between all that, he makes time for us on these boards!

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
pheare #432112 05/07/19 06:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If I assume that the post your referring to is mine (I decided not to use the M3c for my Atmos ceiling because of concerns with imaging). My thinking:

Atmos is an object placement format. The movies sound engineer states “this object is at this point in 3D space and here’s it’s audio track”. Given that infomation each play back system (yours, mine, your local movie theater, etc) figures out how to get it there by using its unique speaker layout and locations. How close to the exact location will depend partially on how well those speakers image.

That said, at the moment Ian is probably right ... most of the time it’s just an overall effect, the exact placement does not matter. But the power of Atmos is when is does matter and I suspect as time goes on it will matter more and more as engineers embrace this format.

rrlev #432113 05/07/19 08:01 PM
D
regular
regular
D
So if Ian told you the M3c's don't image well do to their recessed driver are you going to use the in-wall M3's?

I'm still trying to figure this out for myself.

Here are a few links you might be interested in. The first link talks about how important it is to have wide dispersion in-ceiling speakers.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/dolby-atmos-dispersion-requirements-for-ceiling-speakers/

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/ten-speaker-layout-tips-for-dolby-atmos-dts-x-auro/

Originally Posted By rrlev
If I assume that the post your referring to is mine (I decided not to use the M3c for my Atmos ceiling because of concerns with imaging). My thinking:

Atmos is an object placement format. The movies sound engineer states “this object is at this point in 3D space and here’s it’s audio track”. Given that infomation each play back system (yours, mine, your local movie theater, etc) figures out how to get it there by using its unique speaker layout and locations. How close to the exact location will depend partially on how well those speakers image.

That said, at the moment Ian is probably right ... most of the time it’s just an overall effect, the exact placement does not matter. But the power of Atmos is when is does matter and I suspect as time goes on it will matter more and more as engineers embrace this format.

Defined_Images #432114 05/07/19 10:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
thanks for the articles. Im assuming the M3 onWalls and M3 inWalls are very close in their sound characteristics. It would be interesting to see a set of X & Y axial graphs at a few frequencies

Thinking of using onWalls but have not rule out inWalls ... for me the decision between the 2 has nothing to do with reproduction but more with trying to meet Massachusetts electrical code and optimizing sound proofing. These conflict a bit And I have not completely sorted out all the issues

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters