Print Thread
Rate Thread
PlacingQS4's in a corner
#4326 07/11/02 02:24 AM
danr Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Looking at the driver arrangements of the QS4, I've been wondering if anyone has heard or tested a pair of QS4's (or QS8's or QS2's) placed IN a corner. Not one one of the walls but spanning the corner itself with one tweeter firing along one wall and one tweeter firing along the other wall. I would like to find out if their is any difference in dispersion between that and placing them on a side or back wall.

Re: PlacingQS4's in a corner
#4327 07/11/02 03:40 AM
veteran
veteran
danr

I have wondered the same thing - Back in May there was a pretty good topic and string on part of this subject - with several good answers from Alan. Go back to the "Technical Questions" board and look for a post from "kahlon" about "wall mounting issues on surrounds" toward the middle/end of May and see if that helps/answers your question.

Perhaps someone has experimented by setting up their QS series in the configuration you are asking about. I have not (as I don't have QS speakers (yet!)

At first thought - My guess is that it might work OK as the quadpolar design is much more forgiving of the boundry effects that would occur from corner placement. But again - the overall sound achieved is VERY room dependent!

Good Luck

Randyman

#4328 07/11/02 04:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi danr,

Randyman's suggestions are good (I'll have to go back to May to see what I said!) but overall, placing ANY speaker in a corner alters its sound, almost always in an unflattering manner, the exception being a subwoofer. That's because the three intersecting surfaces--two walls and a ceiling--form a type of corner horn, thereby horn-loading the radiated sound from the QS4s.

In the old days (1950s) when I was a kid, there was a type of speaker called a "folded horn", which was intended for corner placement--it used the aforementioned effect of a corner to strengthen and reinforce low-bass output, which was very effective. But power amps then were tiny, tube, and underpowered--the one I built for my dad was considered huge (25 watts mono). So if you wanted real-life volume levels, you used a speaker design to get the highest SPLs for the smallest number of watts input. (the midrange and tweeter of that folded horn I built were also horn-loaded).

Folded horns are still built, and have their fans, but for domestic high fidelity, the are, in my judgment, awful. Very colored, strictly low-fi by comparison to modern, well-designed speakers.

So my advice is, except for the bass reinforcment that corners offer for subwoofers, keep ALL speakers out of corners!

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4329 07/11/02 04:45 PM
buff
buff
Funny, I just tried that this morning in our shop for a client and there was a fairly dramatic horn effect when in the corner. Coloured the sound immensely. Had to move it six inches from the corner to minimize it.
I also found the sound to be very different when the speaker was on the wall as opposed to away from the wall. Sounded better on the wall.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044