Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Gene DeSalla's latest video with a stab at...
2x6spds #434405 11/24/19 10:58 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Quote:
The Axiom M3 has a similar set up (1 cap and a resistor to protect the tweeter) and this minimalist cross-over is responsible for the M3s purity, IMHO.

The M3v4 has a more sophisticated cross-over than the M3v3 and earlier which makes it sound better than an M80v2.

Quote:
The fewer 'things' in the signal path, the better.

I would say put as many things as necessary in the signal path to meet the design objectives. For the active LFR1100, those design objectives included aligning the sound power and listening window responses and that took a bajillion components in the form of dual DSP boxes.

Last edited by Mojo; 11/24/19 11:01 PM.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
2x6spds #434408 11/25/19 12:45 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
BBIH

I agree. The de Capo Reference 3A is a fantastic speaker which does not use a cross-over but rather the driver mechanically rolls off to the tweeter.

The Axiom M3 has a similar set up (1 cap and a resistor to protect the tweeter) and this minimalist cross-over is responsible for the M3s purity, IMHO.

The fewer 'things' in the signal path, the better.

Well stated - yet if the average audiophile happens to stumble into that bastion of ignorance known as Audioholics, one would think a minimalist crossover is detrimental to sound quality.

Gene is not an engineer, nor a speaker designer. He does not perform scientific tests. Yet he can tell from a picture, and because competitors of Axiom tell him so, that this speaker (the $330 per pair Outdoor M3 that was sold back then) was a "bad design."

The world of the Audio Forum was a wonderful place from 2000-2007. Then it started to decline as the forums started down the path as marketing arms to manufacturers willing to pay them.

AVS Forum and Audioholics are two primary examples of money driven forums.

Audio Circle is a great example of what a forum SHOULD be.

Ya_basta #434409 11/25/19 02:10 AM
M
M
Imagine the active LFR with a minimalist crossover. Actually, it may very well be minimalist. Will consumers soon be comparing how many DSP resources are being consumed to realize an active speaker? smile

Gene has a BSEE, was a practicing engineer, may still be for all we know, is knowledgeable and has access to test equipment and knowledgeable people. None of this however justifies this stab.

Axiom's product line-up is incredible and is continually growing. There is a speaker for every budget, taste and application. Each v4 speaker is imbued with the Axiom acoustic formula and as one climbs the price ladder, all the variables of the formula stay the same but the coefficients change to give greater image resolution, stage size, fidelity and micro and macro dynamic capability. This harmonious price and benefit scaling is non-trivial. Anyone who educates others about audio gear ought to take the time to understand what Axiom has accomplished. The best way to do that is through listening.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #434410 11/25/19 02:31 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Ok, Mojo ... let me elaborate. Gene is not an audio engineer. He is not a designer. And he is not anything close to being competent at audio, let alone an expert. For the record, neither am I. I just have enough self awareness to not think that my reviews are anything special. Gene thinks his word is the end of the discussion, and a few people buy into it.

He acts like he can look at a product and tell you what the performance is. In the meantime, he cannot even perform a listening test with proper protocols.

His "access to people in the know" is nothing more than access to people who sell audio products.

He goes far beyond a "stab" at Axiom. He is a paid hack who shills for products from companies who pay him.

I have first hand knowledge on this, Mojo. I was banned from his forum in 2011 for supposedly "marketing." The marketing was my refusing to pay his site for positive posting.

He not only banned me, but when doing so, he made sure I lost access to the messages between us.

To be blunt - and I am beyond giving a phukk what anyone thinks about me in this industry - the audio industry is filled with more sleaze than prostitution is. This is also why the industry is in the state it is in today.

In 1980, Stereo companies ran ads on national TV, including Monday Night Football. It was a huge, growing industry. This industry killed itself with its approach to the consumer. Snake oil took over, and never let go.

If you think Gene is competent, fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I have read enough of his drivel to know better.

There will be evidence posted in the next week or so to back this up.

There are still a few good guys in the business, but they require work to find.

Ya_basta #434411 11/25/19 02:40 AM
M
M
Actually, your reviews are very special to me. Truly. smile

I just want folks like Gene to recognize Axiom's value proposition.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #434412 11/25/19 02:45 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
The biggest accomplishment I have in audio actually happened at Axiom. I did a few double blind tests and got the same results that Andrew did. It was hard work, and the crew up in Dwight do this every day. Gene? He does You Tube videos of himself blathering.

Gene will never put himself into the position of being positive about Axiom. Never. He decided to go after Ian, and will not stop.

AVS and AH are strictly about getting money from manufacturers for positive press.

Ya_basta #434413 11/25/19 02:51 AM
M
M
I do remember your results at Axiom.

I like to think if Gene listened to the actives, his brain would re-wire about Axiom. smile

BTW, it's good to have you back.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #434414 11/25/19 03:09 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
I would sponsor this to happen:

Gene agrees to come to Dwight. We agree ahead of time which Axiom speakers will be auditioned. We also agree to a pair of competing speakers to bring to the test. I will buy the speakers and bring them.

Both speakers will be auditioned live while Gene is being recorded on a video machine. Listening will be done blind. Then he has to turn in his results before he sees the speakers.

The Actives would be almost impossible for this test - but something against, say, the M5 HP would be good.

Once we settle on the speakers, I will purchase the speakers from the competitor for the comparison and bring them to Dwight.

As all listening will be blind, Gene won't even consider it. If asked, he would make some snarky comment about why it's a waste of his time.

Ya_basta #434416 11/25/19 03:20 AM
M
M
Why would the actives be impossible?

Heh heh...I like how you throw down the gauntlet.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #434417 11/25/19 03:23 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
When doing this type of test, one needs to be able to swap the speakers in an instant AB fashion. Doing this with the Actives would be close to impossible.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters