Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Comparing one active speaker to another?
craigsub #435603 02/02/20 07:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By craigsub
That is a head scratcher. In a comparable room position, physics tells us that the more extended bass response speaker will need more bass attenuation, unless the speaker with less extension has a large bump at a certain frequency range in the bass.

Looking at the sound power curves, the M100 has a visible bass bump while the LFR1100 does not... wonder if that's a factor ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #435604 02/02/20 02:06 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By bridgman
That is a head scratcher. In a comparable room position, physics tells us that the more extended bass response speaker will need more bass attenuation, unless the speaker with less extension has a large bump at a certain frequency range in the bass.

Looking at the sound power curves, the M100 has a visible bass bump while the LFR1100 does not... wonder if that's a factor ?

I had decided to bow out of the conversation. When a person starts with telling me I am presuming a lot of things when all I am trying to do is get honest information, it is time for the conversation to end. But, let's try to answer your question.

There is no "bass bump" in the Sound Power Curve - the bass region has pretty much the same curve in the SPC and Listening window chart. What the SPC shows is an expected roll off in the SPC with a front firing set of speakers. It's an easy thing to hear when comparing an LFR-1100, passive or active, to an M100. Go behind the M100, and it's a muffled sound. Go behind an 1100, and it's crystal clear.

The Omni speakers do a far better job at creating the live performance - again - you can try this easily. Stand behind a singer, and he/she sounds very much the same as when facing you. The Omni speakers, by design, are better than than front firing for this purpose.

Then there is the issue that an M2 also needs attenuation. Look at the response, and it is down 40 dB at 50 Hz. That's pretty much inaudible.

It's hard to imagine a room which would elevate the bass of the M2 to the point that it needs attenuation, while the LFR-1100 active does not.

This does not mean the listener didn't have a PREFERENCE for the sound quality of the LFR-1100 active. It may well be that, since the bass amps in the active speakers are not producing any mids/highs (as they are in the passives) that the higher level of bass isn't objectionable - in fact - it may sound GREAT, because all the mids and highs are still being created with such clarity.

Hope this helps. With 40 years in this hobby, 100's of blind listening tests and thousands of measurements to try to measure what we heard, I have learned there are few "facts" in the world of audio, and lots of preferences.

One of those preferences is just how many people don't like bass below 40 Hz. When you are in a GREAT movie theater - state of the art sound - with rare exceptions, all the bass spectaculars are 40 Hz and above. Most pro audio subs are flat to 40 Hz.

It's a very long discussion, one better over a drink or 2. smile

MMM #435607 02/02/20 07:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks for staying subjective Craig.

Those of us without Omni. could use the 411.

I have heard of people whom also don't like Omni style because they can't wrap their heads around such a sound stage.{to great or expansive for them}Ohm Walsh in particular.

Depending on room, placement etc. attenuation may or may not be of value for any speaker

craigsub #435612 02/03/20 01:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I had decided to bow out of the conversation. When a person starts with telling me I am presuming a lot of things when all I am trying to do is get honest information, it is time for the conversation to end. But, let's try to answer your question.

There is no "bass bump" in the Sound Power Curve - the bass region has pretty much the same curve in the SPC and Listening window chart. What the SPC shows is an expected roll off in the SPC with a front firing set of speakers.

Thanks Craig. Interestingly enough I *did* see a bump in the sound power curve - going up at least 3dB between 150 Hz and 80 Hz - and didn't see a comparable bump in the Listening Window curve. I had figured that was coming mostly from the rear ports but that's just a guess.

BTW I'm looking at the frequency graph for non-powered M100's in case we're looking at different graphs.

Agree this is a long topic to discuss, but it's fun smile

Last edited by bridgman; 02/03/20 01:07 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #435613 02/03/20 01:24 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By bridgman

There is no "bass bump" in the Sound Power Curve - the bass region has pretty much the same curve in the SPC and Listening window chart. What the SPC shows is an expected roll off in the SPC with a front firing set of speakers.

Thanks Craig. Interestingly enough I *did* see a bump in the sound power curve - going up at least 3dB between 150 Hz and 80 Hz - and didn't see a comparable bump in the Listening Window curve. I had figured that was coming mostly from the rear ports but that's just a guess.

BTW I'm looking at the frequency graph for non-powered M100's in case we're looking at different graphs.

Agree this is a long topic to discuss, but it's fun smile

Go take another look - you will see the two lines converge at 100 Hz - then the SP curve starts slowly dropping, as one would expect, as the frequency rises. Both curves have almost identical "bumps and shallow valleys" out to 15,000 Hz.

What may look like a "bass bump" is actually the slow decline as frequencies rise, as we expect, above 100 Hz. The shape of the LW and SP curve are the same, outside that slow decline.

At and below 100 hz, the 6.5 inch drivers would be almost spherical in response. Think about subwoofers - most are not "locateable" in a room below 100 Hz. The 6.5's act as a "point source" below 100 Hz, which is why the LW and SP curves are so close in the 30-100 Hz range.

craigsub #435614 02/03/20 01:41 AM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
An interesting graph would be a 6 colour chart showing the M100's, the passive LFR-1100's and the active LFR-1100's.

The M100's were Axiom's first "super speaker." In today's speaker market, one could take a pair of M100's and a pair of EP800's and have a speaker which is competitive with anything I can think of below $30,000. This is especially true when one thinks about the 12 Hz bass floor this system gives.

The LFR-1100 with the DSP takes the M100 and refines the experience with a much flatter response curve (LW) and a FAR better SP curve.

The LFR-1100 active goes even further, with a linearity unmatched in the SP curve by anything on the market.

Seeing all 6 curves on one graph would be a nice visual of the evolution of these 3 terrific speakers.

Is there a Millenial in the house that can do this and post the result? laugh

MMM #435615 02/03/20 07:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The published frequency response graph for the LFR1100As looks to roll off at about 40 Hz. Seems like they would like an assist from a pair of Axiom subs, no?

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #435617 02/03/20 03:34 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
The published frequency response graph for the LFR1100As looks to roll off at about 40 Hz. Seems like they would like an assist from a pair of Axiom subs, no?

A good subwoofer - especially a pair of subs - will absolutely extend the bass. The question is will the listener find it to be an assist.

During listening tests here over the years, we have had a lot of fun playing sine waves and asking questions of the people listening to the sine waves, under blind conditions.

The first was playing a 40 Hz sine wave and asking what frequency most thought the sine wave was. We gave 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50 and 63 Hz as possible answers. Over 90 percent guessed 20 or 25 Hz. Not ONE guessed 40 Hz or higher.

40 Hz is pretty deep.

The next was finding people's sensitivity to bass under 30 Hz. Some people find that, even at levels below the mains, that the addition of a 20 Hz program material ability into the capability of the system made for "slower bass."

Others loved the tactile bass, and identified it as palpable, not slow. This is where preference comes into play.

Some people also loved adding a house curve to the bass - essentially an elevated response from typically 30 Hz and below.

Speaking objectively, a pair of LFR-1100's - or any full range loudspeaker, can get a much more linear response with a properly dialed in subwoofer. A pair of $40,000 Magico S-5's also roll off below 40 Hz, and are down 20 dB at 20 Hz as a sealed system.

Many people would find that the most expensive subwoofer available is detrimental to the bass delivered by the Magico, while others prefer it.

Objectively, you are correct, in terms of extension. But we still have that preference thing.

craigsub #435619 02/03/20 04:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had decided to bow out of the conversation. When a person starts with telling me I am presuming a lot of things when all I am trying to do is get honest information, it is time for the conversation to end.

Hi Craig, don't let that person jade your view of the board, as you have a wonderful, deep, broad experience and I find your posts to be very informative and without the hyperbole.

BBIBH #435621 02/03/20 04:56 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Mike - Thanks for the invite to stay active. You are correct, this is a great forum, and one of the few left in which audio conversation can be had without hype.

I even stopped at Audiogon, as the marketing BS in threads there is exponentially higher than here, and this is a manufacturer's forum.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters