Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A new Axiom product? Please....think clock RADIO!
chesseroo #435687 02/14/20 05:10 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Not when the entire population has a cell phone emotionally attached to their person, 24/7.

I, on the other hand, do not bring my cell phone into the BR. I would like to see more "old school" choices for a smallish bedside clock. Maybe one with white noise choices?

chesseroo #435690 02/14/20 08:49 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
But are clocks old school?
Both my kids wear watches and they are GenZ.
Without changing settings daily on my phone, how would i get it to function as my overnight clock? Propped up somehow, need to leave the screen on and even then with the background i have, at a quick glance the clock on the opening page isn't immediately easy to read like a LED clock.
People still wear watches to quickly check time. They don't pull out their phones, press the power button...

Clocks and watches are not old school. They are rather hard to replace with smart phones. There's only so much integration and efficiency with tech until you get to the point where you cannot get more 'efficient'.
I once recall seeing the world's smallest cell phone when there was a run up to making smaller, easier, more portable phones. Sure it fits into small space but how functional is it trying to use the thing?
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/zanco-tiny-t1-world-smallest-mobile-phone-3357808

Now people have gone the other way and smaller isn't better. There is a point where its functionality is lost unless you're into espionage.

I need a decent clock dammit.
And we do listen to radio on the one in the kitchen. Or occasionally kids pipe bluetooth something through it when doing the dishes.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #435692 02/14/20 09:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Even a few years ago most manufacturers made some kind of I alarm clocks. Probably would have stayed popular had they added USB C or at least some kind of other Comparability. Not just Apple products.

Sadly most only use their Phones now. That way there's no withdrawals when they wake. {Social media's calling}

chesseroo #435693 02/15/20 12:56 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted By chesseroo

Are they pure watches or Apple or multi function devices?
Without changing settings daily on my phone, how would i get it to function as my overnight clock? Propped up somehow, need to leave the screen on and even then with the background i have, at a quick glance the clock on the opening page isn't immediately easy to read like a LED clock.
Do you change your wake time daily? If so, you adjust your alarm clock daily. Most phones have daily settings that allow you to set an entire week at once.
People still wear watches to quickly check time. They don't pull out their phones, press the power button...
Absolutely that is how people function. Most newer cellphones just need to be picked up and they display whatever settings you configure on the lock screen. I see an increasing majority switching to smart devices that look like watches but serve many functions

Clocks and watches are not old school. They are rather hard to replace with smart phones. There's only so much integration and efficiency with tech until you get to the point where you cannot get more 'efficient'.
Sorry, I have to disagree on all those points. While a wall clock in areas is handy, clocks are in almost every device (TV;s appliances, etc). Almost everyone has a cellphone these days and most people are checking them constantly.

I once recall seeing the world's smallest cell phone when there was a run up to making smaller, easier, more portable phones. Sure it fits into small space but how functional is it trying to use the thing?
Sure, that has happened for various reasons in numerous markets – think cars, laptops for a few examples. This has nothing to do with alarm clocks though.

I need a decent clock dammit. And we do listen to radio on the one in the kitchen. Or occasionally kids pipe bluetooth something through it when doing the dishes.

Right, and fair enough. But one other device has changed how the world works – the smart home device. These devices are voice activated and you can set alarms without touch anything – just tell it when you want the alarm (or almost anything else for that matter) and it happens!

chesseroo #435694 02/15/20 06:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
A really cool clock, mind you not an alarm is Called the Gixie tube clock. I think it's still on go fund me or Kick starter.
It uses Gixie tubes as the display. Really neat.

A youtuber called Techmoan has done some vids. about it. He's a guy that mainly does vids. about older or forgotten technologies{record Dinkers and the likes}

chesseroo #435697 02/16/20 10:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nixie clocks are great. I have one of those in my bedroom to tell the time and an annoying Sony alarm clock to wake me up.

I say annoying partly because the black-on-black-on-black colour scheme makes it impossible to figure out what the buttons do, particularly when you accidentally get the radio playing, and partly because it theoretically syncs to an atomic clock but in practice seems to sync to something running about 7 minutes slow.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
BBIBH #435703 02/16/20 07:02 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By BBIBH

Regular watches. More than half the people i know, hockey team guys, wives, neighbors, all still wear regular watches.
You are making quite the assumption that because you see people with smart phones doing this (or yourself) that "all" people have abandoned the concept of the watch. We actually had this conversation with our hockey team out at the pub a few weeks ago and we looked around the room to take the poll. Well over half of the people we could see were wearing watches (crowd age was low 20s to over 50s).
If anything, i've only known one person that owned an Apple watch, just ONE, in the past 10 years at least.

Do you change your wake time daily? If so, you adjust your alarm clock daily. Most phones have daily settings that allow you to set an entire week at once.

I don't use the alarm (rarely), certainly not daily. It's not an alarm function i seek.
I don't want to change my phone settings to leave the screen on all night long just to turn over to check the time. The phone presently is set like many others to turn off the screen after 5 minutes for power saving.

Absolutely that is how people function. Most newer cellphones just need to be picked up and they display whatever settings you configure on the lock screen. I see an increasing majority switching to smart devices that look like watches but serve many functions

Absolutely that is NOT how people function. You need to be way more observant.
As previously mentioned, look around a mall and see how many people still wear watches. Why?
Because not everyone keeps the phone handy in their hands. It could be in a purse, or a coat pocket. It is less efficient to pull it out, hit the power button just to check time.
I'm in the arenas about 7 times a week with kids and parents. We are always checking time for when the game starts, when the zamboni hits the ice and we have 10 minutes.
People are most definitely not using their smart phones to keep checking that time. By people i mean adults. Most teenagers, and i include myself when i was younger, don't wear watches. It's never been 'cool' to wear a watch.

Sorry, I have to disagree on all those points. While a wall clock in areas is handy, clocks are in almost every device (TV;s appliances, etc). Almost everyone has a cellphone these days and most people are checking them constantly.

Ok so let's take the concept of efficiency. Why have the basic input devices for a computer not changed in over 50 years? Those being a mouse and a keyboard.
Is there some way to make that more efficient without having humans grow smaller hands or extra digits?
Yes BB, there is a limit as to how efficient devices can be made and you hit a wall. Until an entirely new innovation comes about (such as a device which removes any need for keyboards or mice at all), then again, there is a limit.

Sure, that has happened for various reasons in numerous markets – think cars, laptops for a few examples. This has nothing to do with alarm clocks though.

You are avoiding the point.
Who would buy the world's smallest cell phone which is almost impossible to use realistically? It only has a must have application for someone into espionage or a very specific purpose. Try and hold that thing to your ear and hear anything useful let alone speak into it when the mic is cm away from your ear but 5 inches away from your mouth.
Ya, i doubt that one was a big seller.

I need a decent clock dammit. And we do listen to radio on the one in the kitchen. Or occasionally kids pipe bluetooth something through it when doing the dishes.

Right, and fair enough. But one other device has changed how the world works – the smart home device. These devices are voice activated and you can set alarms without touch anything – just tell it when you want the alarm (or almost anything else for that matter) and it happens!

Uh ya,
We are never having a Siri or any Google Home pod crap in this house.
Anyone who does use those is an idiot.
You may as well live in a glass house for all to see.

brendo #435704 02/16/20 07:03 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By brendo
A really cool clock, mind you not an alarm is Called the Gixie tube clock. I think it's still on go fund me or Kick starter.
It uses Gixie tubes as the display. Really neat.

A youtuber called Techmoan has done some vids. about it. He's a guy that mainly does vids. about older or forgotten technologies{record Dinkers and the likes}

That is pretty cool.
I'm going to look into that!

chesseroo #435706 02/16/20 08:51 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur

Regular watches. More than half the people i know, hockey team guys, wives, neighbors, all still wear regular watches.
You are making quite the assumption that because you see people with smart phones doing this (or yourself) that "all" people have abandoned the concept of the watch. We actually had this conversation with our hockey team out at the pub a few weeks ago and we looked around the room to take the poll. Well over half of the people we could see were wearing watches (crowd age was low 20s to over 50s).
If anything, i've only known one person that owned an Apple watch, just ONE, in the past 10 years at least.

I don't use the alarm (rarely), certainly not daily. It's not an alarm function i seek.
I don't want to change my phone settings to leave the screen on all night long just to turn over to check the time. The phone presently is set like many others to turn off the screen after 5 minutes for power saving.

Absolutely that is NOT how people function. You need to be way more observant.
As previously mentioned, look around a mall and see how many people still wear watches. Why?
Because not everyone keeps the phone handy in their hands. It could be in a purse, or a coat pocket. It is less efficient to pull it out, hit the power button just to check time.
I'm in the arenas about 7 times a week with kids and parents. We are always checking time for when the game starts, when the zamboni hits the ice and we have 10 minutes.
People are most definitely not using their smart phones to keep checking that time. By people i mean adults. Most teenagers, and i include myself when i was younger, don't wear watches. It's never been 'cool' to wear a watch.

Ok so let's take the concept of efficiency. Why have the basic input devices for a computer not changed in over 50 years? Those being a mouse and a keyboard.
Is there some way to make that more efficient without having humans grow smaller hands or extra digits?
Yes BB, there is a limit as to how efficient devices can be made and you hit a wall. Until an entirely new innovation comes about (such as a device which removes any need for keyboards or mice at all), then again, there is a limit.

You are avoiding the point.
Who would buy the world's smallest cell phone which is almost impossible to use realistically? It only has a must have application for someone into espionage or a very specific purpose. Try and hold that thing to your ear and hear anything useful let alone speak into it when the mic is cm away from your ear but 5 inches away from your mouth.
Ya, i doubt that one was a big seller.

Uh ya,
We are never having a Siri or any Google Home pod crap in this house.
Anyone who does use those is an idiot.
You may as well live in a glass house for all to see.

Hmmm, sorry I took the time to respond!

Your hockey team is your sample size, and I suspect your friends and family are more aligned with your way of life.I have no problem with that, nor should anyone. A quick tally of my circle indicates heavy Apple watch usage - although I do not, nor never have worn a watch.I live and work in the largest populated city/area in Canada - and travel to some of the largest cities in North America on a regular basis. I can tell you that the adult population (defined as over 25) is heavily addicted (for better or worse) to the cell phone and smart watches.They are used for everything these days, and in some cases to the detriment to our daily lives.Let us leave the subject of the younger group (age 10-24) device usage! :-)

Smart home devices are a major trend - no matter what your thoughts are of those that do - which I find to be opinionated and adds nothing to this conversation.

I was not ignoring the shrinking cell phone, but agreeing with you...those were hard to use, but my point was that these were made, people bought them, then demanded larger screens when data/internet became more popular on cellphones.

I think we are definitely on opposite sides of this. You accuse me of making "quite the assumption", and I never said "all" people have abandoned the concept of a watch. What i read in your response is that your view is the only view that matters.

Best of luck in finding the device that meets your needs/wants.

chesseroo #435711 02/16/20 11:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Much as I dislike the idea of smart home devices listening and watching, I may end up having to pick one up just because so many remote control power plugs require Alexa or Google Assistant these days.

I guess I could get a newer phone but I would rather give up my privacy than give up my Blackberry smile

Thinking about an Echo 5 - it has a sliding shutter for the camera and isn't too big for a bedside table. I could put it out on the deck if I felt I really need privacy, but anyone hacking into it at the moment would just feel sorry for me and tell me to get more sleep and maybe find a different job.

It's probably obvious that I'm not convinced of the benefit of combining high quality audio and annoying wake-up-thingy in the same box. I guess the high quality audio might help at sleepy time rather than wakey time ?

Another vote for regular watches, by the way. Nothing exotic here - a Seiko Titanium and a couple of Orient Mako's. The Seiko is incredibly light so maybe that does count as exotic.

Last edited by bridgman; 02/17/20 12:00 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617