Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hsu STF-2, Hsu VTF-3, and SVS PB1+
#43580 04/28/04 09:20 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
yep...I heard all three last night at Curtis's house.

Care to guess which of the three was my favorite?*

*based only on fun little demo listening. No scientific mumbo jumbo. Just throw in a disc and listen.

Re: Hsu STF-2, Hsu VTF-3, and SVS PB1+
#43581 04/28/04 09:22 PM
shareholder in the making
I think you should have recused yourself due to conflict of interest...

#43582 04/28/04 09:28 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
YES, i wanna know.. the battle rages on.

i am gonna laugh if you liked the SVS more..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#43583 04/28/04 09:36 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I don't think bigjohn is going to laugh.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#43584 04/28/04 09:49 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Care to guess which of the three was my favorite?*

My money's on the VTF-3.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#43585 04/28/04 09:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK! OK! Enough with the suspense already!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#43586 04/28/04 09:52 PM
He's not online at the moment.

#43587 04/28/04 09:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
na na nana na.....I know the answer.

We spent a little more than an hour with the subs. Spiff brought some music, I had some music and movie clips. We played them and messed with the sub levels. Like spiff said, nothing scientific, just good 'ole fashioned listening.

I was just glad someone else was there to help move the subs around.

I will take a picture of the three subs tonight before the PB1+ leaves.

#43588 04/28/04 09:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
WELL HE'S GOT A LOT OF NERVE! BOY! Just hit and run, huh?

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#43589 04/28/04 10:02 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In reply to:

I think you should have recused yourself due to conflict of interest...

Hey, if Scalia can do it...

Well let's say it was a surprising evening.

First off, that PB1+ is freakin' HUGE. I thought the VTF-3 was a big subwoofer. The SVS dwarfed it.

Having said that, when I walked into Curtis house, he said, "That's the SVS over there in the corner." I looked and ask "huh? Where?". I didn't see it. Finally he walked over and pointed. There! Oh...wow. I didn't realize that was the subwoofer. It was beautiful. As huge as it was, it didn't stand out. It was a beautiful, fully integrated piece of furniture in Curtis's living room. Bravo SVS!

OK...so how did they sound?

Well, since the SVS was already hooked up, we began with that. First I threw in a Dead Can Dance cd. I figured a sub this big may be able to recreate that room pressurizing effect I heard from a Rel a long while back. Nope. Not sure how they got that Rel to do that. I've never heard anything like that before. I suspect they had the crossover set very low, and CRANKED it's volume.

Anyway...that's beside the point. What I did hear was a very full, smooth, bass. It seemed to lack a little punch that I'm used to hearing on that disc though.

Next disc...Kristine W 'Land of the Living'. Terrific dance CD if you're into that kind of thing. The disc begins with a slow, steady, low boom. Decent, but still didn't really stir me like I was expecting. Maybe I was expecting too much, because it was so darn big?

Finally I threw in my ultimate test cd. The Propellerheads 'decksanddrumsandrockandroll'. Lots of fantastic FAST bass, as well as some groovy low tunes. I listen to this disc very, very often. I know what it sounds like (or what it can sound like. Track one fired up and I was immediately struck that the bass sounded just slightly slow. (note I said slightly) Hmm...damn.

We quickly swapped out the SVS for the STF-2. Popped on that same track. Wow...that little STF-2 can pound! It didn't have nearly the fullness of the SVS. It was lean by comparison, but what it threw out was loud and tight. I was really surprised. (That's twice now...I told you it was a night of surprises!) Listening a bit more, I have to say I preferred the PB1+ over the STF-2. The SVS had a nice fullness and richness that the STF-2 lacked. Though the STF-2 was tighter. It kept up with that fast bass better.

Finally we tossed Curtis's VTF-3 back into the system. My goodness that's one hell of a sub. TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT...again like the STF-2, not quite as "warm" or "rich" as the SVS, but hands down the tightest of the three.

OK...to wrap up.

The SVS is a beautiful, I mean beautiful sub. S.A.F. on this one is off the charts. Personally I think it's a better sub for movies than music. It's fullness and depth is absolutely perfect of low bass effects. That's not to say it's a slouch in the music department. I've heard a LOT worse.

Hsu VTF-3...probably a personal preference more than anything, but I light my bass tight. It loses some of the smoothness and richness in being that tight, but that's just the way I like it. To give a visual analogy, the SVS is like being hit by a boxer, the Hsu is more of a bare fisted punch. Both have more than enough power and depth to really shake your house. Litterally! Curtis's house, not his room, his entire HOUSE was shaking at times last night.

Finally the STF-2. How can they sell this for under $400? Certainly the best sub bargain I've ever heard. Clean, tight, and powerful.

Hope this helps some people on the subwoofer fence. Bottom line is which type of bass you prefer, full, and smooth, or tight and punchy. Please bare in mind that these are subtle differences. We're not talking a total night and day difference, but if you have to say what the difference between the two is, that's it.

***sorry this took so long...I'm pretty busy at work today!***

Last edited by spiffnme; 04/28/04 10:04 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters