Andrew #435856 02/28/20 09:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I will not make a post mentioning medication

Aw crap, it slipped out. Sorry.

Seriously, it's a fair question. Every so often I spend a few days doing nothing but non-stop system tweaking and almost always end up with a significant improvement, but I probably won't be able to spend enough time to be confident I have an optimal setup until my hearing has degraded to the point where all I really need is a couple of midrange drivers anyways.

It is never-ending, and in some ways speakers like the LFRs are just another reminder that even the finest audio systems are arguably over-simplified relative to what we need to get everything perfect.

Even stereo imaging is a gross approximation of real world sound production, although I continue to be amazed by the uncanny realism it can provide, presumably because it all has to go through a pair of ears anyways.

Phase controls on subwoofers drive me crazy because they are a single control trying to deal with two separate variables:

- matching phase between subwoofer amp/wiring and main woofer amp/wiring (this is really a 0/180 degree thing)

- introducing delay to approximately compensate for the path distance between subwoofer/listener and main woofers/listener (two distances, one knob, get it right)

- I guess the phase control may also be compensating for different responsiveness between the sub and woofer drivers (heavier drivers accelerate more slowly) but I don't think so

It would be interesting to split the signal and run it through two separate phase controls, each one adjusted based on path distance relative to a different main woofer, then recombine the results. First thought is that it would make everything sound like "Rock On" , but I suppose that would not really be an improvement... the best you can do is get the subwoofer somewhere between the main woofers in terms of arrival time.

Last edited by bridgman; 02/28/20 10:36 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: LFR1100 ACTIVE - Configuration, wiring, and setup
Andrew #435857 02/28/20 10:49 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Yep. Phase knobs are really not the answer.

A phase knob can only retard the signal after arrival. Since the subwoofer requires advancement relative to the mains, it's a stop gap at best to simply phase align.

The solution is a DSP that can perform channel alignments relative to each other, not just after an input signal has arrived as in a subwoofer phase knob. This allows both phase AND cycle alignment.

Re: LFR1100 ACTIVE - Configuration, wiring, and setup
Andrew #435883 03/03/20 05:16 AM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Andrew, I suspected this in the past but now I'm sure. The rears need more 'nads. Either that or more angle. Or outboard drivers. Or all of the above. I'm sure the sound field can be more aethereal with more lobes.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616