Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M3 placement question
#4360 07/13/02 11:27 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I have solid wood right/left media units on either side of my bigscreen with the light bridge in the middle. Will it be ok to use the M3ti's on their sides inside the cabinet doors behind the speaker grilles of each unit? They will be at a 33" height inside the doors. Also, how will my sound be affected, considering that each speaker will only be 30"-32", from the center channel (VP150 or VP100)? My listening position is 9' away dead center.

Re: M3 placement question
#4361 07/15/02 04:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

Putting any speaker on its side does change the dispersion characteristics and, to a degree, undoes some of the designer's careful calculations. Putting the speaker behind cabinet doors on a shelf will further affect the sound. If you must do that, try and keep the front baffle of the speaker as close to the edge of the shelf as possible, to avoid further tonal coloration caused by the shelf and surrounding cabinetry.

You can check yourself to what degree the sound will change. Put one M3ti outside the cabinet on a stand of some sort in its normal vertical orientation, and the other on its side inside the cabinet door on the shelf. Play a CD in mono, if you can, and rotate the balance control from one speaker to the other, adjusting the volume control to keep the sound level constant. You will notice a difference, but it may or may not be minor.

If you have an A/B speaker switch, you could wire one speaker to the A terminal and the other to the B terminal and switch between the two, keeping volume levels the same and listening for tonal differences.

The distance from your center channel should be okay for a reasonable degree of stereo separation.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (spiroh), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup