Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: for the california folks...
#43653 04/29/04 06:49 AM
shareholder in the making
Billy, you should seriously consider Bren's itinerary from Moose Jaw. After all, you've already done the Oregon coast, so what do you need Big Sur for? You'll be able to say that you explored the wonders of Saskatchewan(and saw the tree).

But, as second choice, if you haven't gone south along the Oregon coast, the area around Port Orford is gorgeous.

Last edited by JohnK; 04/29/04 06:53 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#43654 04/29/04 07:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yup...also a South Bay LA kid....Rolling Hills High School class of '82.

Right...if you do Highway 1...do not plan on doing it fast. Take your time and enjoy the coast. There are some "tourist" stops along the way if you desire....such as Hearst Castle and Pismo Beach.

#43655 04/29/04 08:03 AM
This is for you and BigWill -- it ain't San Fran or Frisco (ewwww!). Call it SF, or of you really want to be taken as a local, "The City"

As far as travel advice, I agree with JohnK that the Oregon Coast is as good as, if not better than Big Sur. Skip it. If I were you, I'd start in San Francisco. If you like wine, definitely do wine country. Avoid Napa -- you have to pay for most tastings there. Do the Russian River tasting circuit. That road will take you to the coast. From there you can drive north or south -- your choice. Stop anywhere and everywhere you please.

#43656 04/29/04 11:46 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Everyone -

Thank you for your most gracious advice. I believe you've all helped me make a decision - back to my original plan of going to SF. I definitely have to see the big trees and I have some weird fascination with driving HWY1 - I only drive fast when there's nothing worth looking at around me.

I'll let you guys know when we make/set our dates (hopefully it'll be late august early september - I'd do it sooner but the roomie needs fund building time)

I'm gonna print this great info, break out the atlas and figure something out - thanks again for the brain-dump, this is the kind of insight one can't find through google.

BTW - if anyone is ever in Atlanta (or GA in general) let me know and I'll point to you around (I've lived here for 31 years and through my habit of destinationless driving and my job, I've been to nearly every city on a map of Georgia)

Thanks again,
^billy

videoslave
#43657 04/29/04 03:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the tip on "Frisco", Peter. The last thing I want is to be mistaken for a Frisco local!!! LMAO!!!

#43658 04/29/04 03:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
most texans feel the same way about people from dallas.. YUCK!!

houston runs a close second.

the rest of us are cool.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#43659 04/29/04 03:48 PM
old hand
old hand
Is it like King of the Hill down there BigJohn?

Just kidding. If I could snap my fingers and move to Texas I probably would.

#43660 04/29/04 05:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
actually huffer, that show is VERY close to real life, small town texas lifestyle. now obviously, they take the characters to the extreme, but alot of it is dead on. their jobs, the way they talk, the way they think, the things they do, the places they go, the situations they get in, the way their houses are decorated. all that stuff is pretty dead on.

i really love that show.. its a humorous look at, well, my life.

and i tell you what i think is very funny about that show.. OK, texans are very proud to be texans, and we LOVE our state.. everything about it, including the shape.. it is a VERY texan thing to have texas shaped objects in your home, or on your property. and if you watch that show, you will see that the animators have included that aspect of texas living.. peg has a texas shaped clock in the kitchen, bobby has a texas shaped mouse pad for the computer, an the neighbor has a texas shaped bush in the front yard.. if you watch the show enough, you will see alot of that kinda stuff.. that is TRUE texas, you see that here everyday.

sorry so long.. i just love talkin bout texas.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#43661 04/29/04 05:38 PM
Just wanted to share a few things with you. First, today is a gorgeous day in the Bay Area, so I snapped a couple pics from my office window (highly zoomed):

The last thing is a must-see website: californiacoastline.org

It has one picture for almost EVERY MILE of California Coastline. You can click on a point on the map near the bottom and go north or south from there. Some of the pictures are breathtaking!

#43662 04/29/04 06:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
OK! OK! Ya got the big jealousy thing goin' in me.

In the California coast picture, I wonder what the house out on the point cost? Wonder what it's like to be on the back patio in the middle of a storm? Wonder what the earthquake insurance costs, cuz when the big one hits, it's adiós muchachos.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082