Netflix audio quality
#436809 05/17/20 11:31 PM
M
Mojo Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
M
Can someone tell me why I can stream a movie like The Dictator on Netflix and get amazing dynamics but when I stream Pacific Rim: Uprising, it sounds like it's been mastered by a kid in Grade 3?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Re: Netflix audio quality
Mojo #436812 05/18/20 06:16 PM
M
Mojo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Netflix support claims it is not limiting dynamics. But I know I am not the only one complaining. I believe they are limiting dynamics on highly popular content to save money. If they weren't, they'd come out and say so.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #437123 06/11/20 12:58 AM
R
veteran
veteran
R
Mojo,
Your not alone the picture quality has gone way down. I see it on my mac and on my 65" plasma.

RJ

M100 V4, VP180 V4,QS10s x4 V4 M2 V4 X2 EP500 V4 X 2,ADA 1500-3, ADA1250 - 7 N3
Mojo #437129 06/12/20 03:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This is the reason why i've held off going this route for movies or audio. I don't want to pay for a product that at any point can dumb down the experience because of a lag in the net or the company doing something behind the scenes that the user isn't aware (like the recent spotify and sound quality difference with tidal).

I've held off for probably 5 years in buying an OLED tv but this year it is finally going to happen. Same reasons. Want to see a quality product for a reasonable price that has the bugs all worked out.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #437135 06/12/20 06:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I've held off for probably 5 years in buying an OLED tv but this year it is finally going to happen
I've been looking at tvs and currently the OLEDs look to have the best picture.

Unfortunately, It's my understanding that they are prone to burn-in issues. If this is true there are too many times the tv gets left on with a static screen that I'd want to take that chance ... any thoughts.

rrlev #437137 06/13/20 02:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I've held off for probably 5 years in buying an OLED tv but this year it is finally going to happen
I've been looking at tvs and currently the OLEDs look to have the best picture.

Unfortunately, It's my understanding that they are prone to burn-in issues. If this is true there are too many times the tv gets left on with a static screen that I'd want to take that chance ... any thoughts.

They said the same thing about LCD and plasma but it was only ever true when used in mostly commercial purposes like stores or bars that always have on their store insignia, or is playing CNN or TSN almost 24/7/365 that are static with some logos. If you are a home residential gamer playing the same game 8 hours a day which has static images then perhaps some burn in is possible.
IMO, the concept is being overblown just as it was with previous tv tech. I have zero concerns.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
rrlev #437139 06/13/20 02:47 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted by rrlev

I was worried about that since most of my TV use is with my PC. I did have burn in with the Panasonic plasma I was using prior. You could see a ghost of the taskbar along the bottom of the screen, though that wasn't very noticeable with most moving content. After several months with the new LG OLED, I'm still not seeing any signs of image retention. I did set up Windows to auto-hide the taskbar this time around, but as much as I have my web browser open with the tabs lining the top, it still feels like a candidate for burn-in. I'm cautiously optimistic the issue won't manifest, as I usually run the Pixel Refresher every couple of weeks. I was doing it at least once a week at first out of paranoia, but I'm starting to relax.

The one issue I'm having is the screen randomly shutting itself off. It seems to happen more often when it's doing certain things. Like it is happening more often when I'm playing Bejeweled 3, so I'm not sure what it is that's causing it. For a while the picture was dropping out, but the TV was still on. After some hair-pulling, I replaced my HDMI cable with an older one, and suddenly it was working again. I had the company replace the cable since I had spent over $100 for it (30-footer), but unfortunately the replacement developed the same issue over time, so again I had to revert to the BlueRigger HDMI cable I'd been using before. The only issue I'd had with that cable is it couldn't seem to handle Dolby Vision HDR. Everything else it was fine with, but I couldn't watch anything in Dolby Vision without it losing the picture. So I replaced the cable with a newer model of BlueRigger, and besides the TV turning itself off randomly at times, all issues appear resolved. I will have to contact LG Customer Service if I can't fix it on my own. Part of me is thinking it might be the Marantz receiver I'm currently using, which isn't the latest. HDMI always seems finicky, and I probably have more frustration ahead of me since standards are always changing and there are always going to be hiccups across devices.

Mojo #437140 06/13/20 02:58 AM
M
Mojo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Charles, you could be running out of cache memory. Contact LG. There may be settings you can adjust for that.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #437144 06/13/20 11:13 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted by Mojo
Charles, you could be running out of cache memory. Contact LG. There may be settings you can adjust for that.

Based on what I see in the help topic on it, I don't think it's that. I don't do any streaming through TV apps, and I already had the QuickStart+ turned off.

CV #437145 06/14/20 08:17 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I did end up trying the potential fix of unplugging from the wall for at least 30 seconds, then plugging back in, since I wanted to reroute the power cable, anyway, and so far today it hasn't turned off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters