Re: Netflix audio quality
rrlev #437148 06/14/20 08:53 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I've held off for probably 5 years in buying an OLED tv but this year it is finally going to happen
I've been looking at tvs and currently the OLEDs look to have the best picture.

Unfortunately, It's my understanding that they are prone to burn-in issues. If this is true there are too many times the tv gets left on with a static screen that I'd want to take that chance ... any thoughts.

As far as OLED's are concerned, I will, hopefully,l put your mind at ease. In the last two model years especially, brands are placing pixel screen shift, pixel refresher and logo luminance adjustments on their models, hence, the burn-in issue is all but gone(LG manufactures the OLED panels for all brands). Of course, if one has a monitor that is on all day locked on to the same channel with countless static logos, you could still have a problem. I would also submit that if you are previously a plasma and/or CRT owner and unless you are in an environment with very bright ambient lights on all the time, aside from an OLED, you will probably not be satisfied with anything but the most expensive LCD. LCDs are getting closer in achieving proper black levels, it does, however, come at price and like plasmas, you can't beat the black levels and "off axis" viewing capabilities of a 4K OLED and it shows in the picture even comparing it to a late model large screen 8K LCD wherein the difference between the two has proven to be almost impossible to discern.

Two weeks ago, I took delivery of my "dream" monitor, a 77" LG 2020 CX OLED. A lot of money, however, when I look at a movie, with the infinite contrast and colors that jump out at you, on a screen of this size, there is almost something resembling a 3D effect in the picture. For the record, I have had little or no problem with Netflix, however, unless you have a bandwidth issue, HDR and Dolby Vision look great.

casey01 #437149 06/15/20 03:19 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Originally Posted by casey01
For the record, I have had little or no problem with Netflix, however, unless you have a bandwidth issue, HDR and Dolby Vision look great.

I will also say that my Netflix picture quality looks great, as long as I'm watching in the Windows 10 app, since they do limit resolution via the web, and I couldn't get 4K playback to work without audio/video sync issues on other streaming devices.

casey01 #437150 06/15/20 05:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I will, hopefully,l put your mind at ease.
That's what I needed to know ... Thanks

Two weeks ago, I took delivery of my "dream" monitor, a 77" LG 2020 CX OLED
Congrats on the CX 77". Unfortunately, I'm going to have a slightly lower budget .... It seems that the 65" is the sweet spot for screen size/$ at the moment. Also my understanding is that there is little picture difference between the C8, C9, and CX. It's mainly processor speed, the interface, and I believe the C9 & CX have the newer HDMI standard. So, I may go with an older model if it makes $ sense ... we will see ...still trying to figure it out ...

rrlev #437151 06/15/20 01:05 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I will, hopefully,l put your mind at ease.
That's what I needed to know ... Thanks

Two weeks ago, I took delivery of my "dream" monitor, a 77" LG 2020 CX OLED
Congrats on the CX 77". Unfortunately, I'm going to have a slightly lower budget .... It seems that the 65" is the sweet spot for screen size/$ at the moment. Also my understanding is that there is little picture difference between the C8, C9, and CX. It's mainly processor speed, the interface, and I believe the C9 & CX have the newer HDMI standard. So, I may go with an older model if it makes $ sense ... we will see ...still trying to figure it out ...

Yep, I don't know how many C8s are left, however, if you want to "future proof"yourself the C9 or CX would be probably be the better choice anyway. Interestingly enough, even though the CX has the Alpha 9 gen. 3 processor as opposed to Gen 2 in the C9, in most cases you will find the CX is actually a little bit cheaper than even the C9. If you look on line, some of the gamers got their "shorts in a knot" because when someone was digging deeper about the 2.1HDMI spec., apparently LG didn't disclose that they chose to slightly cut the CX 48GHz bandwidth to 40GHz which, when investigating further is "theoretically", in gaming performance, only an issue if one is dealing with 12 bit panels of which there are none and won't be for the foreseeable future. As a result, some of these gamer fanatics have bypassed the CX and gone out to buy the now previous generation C9 which has kept their price up, hence, in many cases the newer model being less costly. When I started to look around, in some cases the 77 "C9 was actually several hundred dollars more than the CX! Crazy. All, of this is a total red herring, regardless of what some of these people on the internet claim.

Anyway, other than a couple of issues, when it comes to video, movies, streaming, etc. the C9 and CX are pretty much the same in features and performance, good luck! Great televisions and superb picture.

1 member likes this: aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mojo #437162 06/17/20 05:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I haven't had much luck with LG technology over the years to the point where i won't buy LG anymore. Sure they make the underlying hardware for OLED (presently) but difference in processors, mainboards and OS can be considerable. I don't expect the visuals to be night and day difference between the LG and say Sony OLEDs but the customer experience in some ways certainly is.

The most recent LG item was a tv. Owned a LG LED tv (46" i think) not long ago. Hated the remote. Hated the slow OS. The picture had evident edge blooming (not uncommon for LED and varied by model, brand but on this LG on dark scenes it really stood out). Greys weren't great and sound was mediocre. Paid reasonable money for it (it was not bottom end model but probably note the top end unit either which only had additional OS or connection features but the processor and screen was the same as the next model or two down).
Then after a mere few years the thing went downhill and is showing issues which leads me to think this thing is dying. In comparison, i bought a Sony LED 55" just over a year ago. The colours are bloody outstanding. No blooming or minor. The off angle contrast still sucks (a LED downfall), but the OS and remote were so much easier. Longevity is yet to be determined but we've had two other LCD/LED tech tvs which lasted at least 5 years. We had a horrible 1st gen LCD Phillips that lasted a reasonable long time but was glad to see when that thing finally died. It had that motion issue which i am rather acutely tuned to seeing so watching hockey games was painful. It looked to me like Fox brought back their hockey puck with trails nonsense.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

In previous encounters with LG, i've dealt more with computer parts although we also had one home appliance that was LG. All of them fell short on longevity but had good specs and functionality otherwise. The occasional customer support call to LG about such things over the years has been less than stellar and basically the units ended up going to e-waste or metal scrap.

In brief, overall, i've been turned off LG as a company. I won't buy that brand anymore.
As such, to replace the aged media room tv, i'm keeping my eye out for the Sony A1E 77" clearances later this year or post holidays i think.
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/televisions/a1e-series

If we decide to drop down to the 65" size from 77", there's more options but so very little differences between them. We don't need the actuator and subwoofer sound function so the A8H series is probably the 65" choice.
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/televisions/xbr-a8h-series

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Mojo #437163 06/17/20 06:04 PM
M
Mojo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I bought my 55" Sharp 4 years ago for $499 from Visions. Six months prior, one of my buddies bought an $1800 LG. When he saw and played with mine, he went to Visions and bought two. His LG was relegated to the guest room.

My FWB bought a 55" TCL with Roku from Amazon a year ago for $499. $100 more would have bought the same with more brightness but she doesn't need it. She returned her $900 LG which was slow and not as clear. She's been very happy.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
rrlev #437164 06/17/20 06:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I've held off for probably 5 years in buying an OLED tv but this year it is finally going to happen
I've been looking at tvs and currently the OLEDs look to have the best picture.

Unfortunately, It's my understanding that they are prone to burn-in issues. If this is true there are too many times the tv gets left on with a static screen that I'd want to take that chance ... any thoughts.

On that topic of OLED burn in, came across this video which tested it for a year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY
Go to 8:16 for their conclusion

Mojo #437165 06/17/20 06:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by Mojo
I bought my 55" Sharp 4 years ago for $499 from Visions. Six months prior, one of my buddies bought an $1800 LG. When he saw and played with mine, he went to Visions and bought two. His LG was relegated to the guest room.

My FWB bought a 55" TCL with Roku from Amazon a year ago for $499. $100 more would have bought the same with more brightness but she doesn't need it. She returned her $900 LG which was slow and not as clear. She's been very happy.
Not to always say price matters but from what i've both seen and read with low cost TVs, price matters. For the average Joe who thinks a TV is a TV then fine, buy a cheap unit. They won't care anymore than they would if they bought a $400 HTIB and thought it sounded as good as anything else in the world.

That being said, the price on Samsung quantum dot LEDs has dropped so much that i saw a 75" version for $1500 recently. Even their top of the line stuff is thousands cheaper than OLED and they are some damn nice looking screens. It had me very tempted but i have to be honest with myself and know that i hate the downsides to LED tech, i see it and am reminded of it every time i turn on the main floor Sony.
I'm not buying LED for the media room.

Mojo #437187 06/18/20 07:25 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
Mojo, I am unclear, is she happy with the TV or the Benefits?

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
1 member likes this: aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mojo #437189 06/18/20 09:14 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Lol!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc