Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set
Mojo #437299 06/27/20 05:13 AM
J
juryman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
Why should I go with an M2 when I can get a true center channel like the VP100? Its bigger than my current EC-1 but should still fit on the table I have below the TV.

The QS10's look nice. And the site shows a photo of them hanging on the back wall. Which is where my current EC-3 are. But these seem also too big for my room. QS8 may be the better choice. Never-the-less, wouldnt the design of these surrounds lend themselves to placement either back wall or side wall due to the fact that they are not one directional? Sound comes from all 4 sides of the speaker?

juryman #437300 06/27/20 12:44 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
The M2 gives improved off-axis performance compared to the VP100. Any centre speaker is a compromise between performance and convenience. A vertical array of drivers results in a more linear response than horizontal.

In the case of the QS10, sound comes from 5 sides. They are not too big for your room. I had the QS8v2 and they were puny compared to the sound I get from the QS10. Read my review on the QS10 product page. It's the first, long one.

I tried them on the back wall in my room. Side-wall placement results in a more immersive and accurate experience. This isn't a fault with the QS10. It's how our ears-brain perceive sound from the back vs. sides. It's worth trying back vs. side to see what you think.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
juryman #437302 06/27/20 02:30 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
"My TV room is in the basement and 15ft x 14ft, with one side completely open to a bar area. So unfortunately, for a 5.1 setup like I have, the surround speakers are on the back wall."

I would say start from scratch.... with your speakers and setup.

Can you turn the room layout so that the bar opening is behind you instead?

This will let you place speakers with even sidewall reinforcement from the front channels. Would make a big difference in your perceived fullness if the front speaker sidewall reflections were used to your advantage instead of filling up the bar area on one side.

Size the system subs for the total room volume including bar. If you are using small satellite speakers with a sub you may want to think about upgrading to a more full range setup with a couple subs. Lower frequencies are where subjective fullness comes from. Use your room to your advantage by backing speakers onto even boundaries to load it better.

If budget is an issue you could always go with M5hps for your Left\Center\Right channels with RSL directional in ceiling speakers for surrounds and subs from a cheaper manufacturer. Plenty to chose from that perform well and cost a little less.

Definitely spend the money on your front soundstage. Axiom is a great choice for there, as you can get away with no treatment and have a great result.

If you post pics you will get great help.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #437349 07/01/20 03:49 AM
J
juryman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
J
TrevorM. Wish I would have thought of that when I built the basement. It would be difficult for me to turn the room now. I have finished walls and a finished ceiling. Not a drop ceiling. Running cables would result in many holes. Additionally, power is an issue on the wall that would have the TV and all the equipment.

The reason I chose the layout I did was that I could hide all my equipment behind the wall. You see, that wall hides the stairs. I built a small room under the stairs to hide all the HT equipment.

I will try and include pictures in my next post.

Seems like everyone is suggesting bigger speakers all the way around. Im ok with that for the RL fronts, but I may need to do the M5hps on-wall. Im beginning to like the idea of in ceiling for the surrounds. What do you mean by RSL directional?

Lastly, I thought for a HT setup you want to stay with the same make all the way around?

juryman #437350 07/01/20 10:54 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
RSL makes tilted in ceiling speakers. They are fantastic.

You dont have to have the same brand all around although it makes things easier. Most important is having similar output sensitivity and flattish anechoic measurements with well behaved off axis performance. Next is ensuring all channel levels are calibrated withinn 0.5db of eachother with your receiver’s manual setup routine. Last is EQ, but autoEQ should be avoided.

Larger speakers are generally capable of more low frequency output and more efficient. Big rooms tend to favour big speakers. It is worth doing some research (I’m sure you are) and saving up to do it right, once. grin Sticking with Axiom may allow you to move your old fronts to surround duty and going with new towers for main speakers.

I should add that adding more sound energy could backfire if you have an acoustically live space. Hardwood/tile with drywall and leather couches for example do not lend well to clear sound at loud volumes. I just visited a home where the owner wanted to upgrade from a Bose cinemate setup. Sucked to have to tell them they needed to budget for throw rugs and new furniture too.... 2 second decay times in that one!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters