Jeff_in_the_D #437409 07/20/20 06:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: speaker finishs - ROSEWOOD RED SATIN
Jeff_in_the_D #437410 07/20/20 06:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I can't confirm this one exactly. It came from an audiomart sale page.

[Linked Image from img.usaudiomart.com]

Jeff_in_the_D #437417 07/20/20 11:29 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I believe that last one is the current rosewood with a red (?) stain. It's not bad. I'm not sure if that's the current low gloss ... from the picture it looks more like a semi.

The older rosewood, like the one they were displaying on their home page is a much nicer rosewood (Santos). Axiom phased it out because the price went thought the roof.

I've looked at samples of the current rosewood and the older version santos rosewood (in natural and this reddish stain). Note: I've only seen samples of the rosewoods in person so the comparisons I'm going to give are based on that. I also have speakers in the natural walnut ... so I'll compare those as well.

The sample of the current naturally finished rosewood had a very slight pinkish tinge, a thinner less rich gain pattern (then santos), and the texture was the most pronounced of the three woods (deeper longer indentations, for a better word, than the walnut). The walnut is consistently textured with shorter, sallower checks but in the rosewood they stood out more because they were more in your face and fewer of them. That said this is my take and you may not mind it or feel the same way.

The natural santos RW is richer colored, nicest grained, and smoothest of the three. Running from a golden brown to a darker brown in wide a beautiful grain pattern with minimal texture. In the red stain it's quite nice but without any another factors I'd lean toward the natural. The main reason to go red is because you're looking for a statement or to fit your decor.

The natural walnut is very nice alternative to the natural santos ... its pattern is more brown to darker brown and does not have the richness but considering the cost (adding something like %25 to %100 the speaker cost)... I'd lean that way instead of the natural santos unless money is not an issue. In that case you'll get IMO the most beautiful wood axiom can get its hands on. The current natural rosewood, depending on your eye, might be ok but I nixed it for myself all the reasons stated above.

If I were to go with the current rosewood I'd consider a stain to hid the tinge. If you're going to pay the big bucks ... get a sample before pulling the trigger.

Last edited by rrlev; 07/21/20 12:12 AM. Reason: cost
rrlev #437429 07/21/20 02:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
I believe that last one is the current rosewood with a red (?) stain. It's not bad. I'm not sure if that's the current low gloss ... from the picture it looks more like a semi.

The older rosewood, like the one they were displaying on their home page is a much nicer rosewood (Santos). Axiom phased it out because the price went thought the roof.

I've looked at samples of the current rosewood and the older version santos rosewood (in natural and this reddish stain). Note: I've only seen samples of the rosewoods in person so the comparisons I'm going to give are based on that. I also have speakers in the natural walnut ... so I'll compare those as well.

The sample of the current naturally finished rosewood had a very slight pinkish tinge, a thinner less rich gain pattern (then santos), and the texture was the most pronounced of the three woods (deeper longer indentations, for a better word, than the walnut). The walnut is consistently textured with shorter, sallower checks but in the rosewood they stood out more because they were more in your face and fewer of them. That said this is my take and you may not mind it or feel the same way.

The natural santos RW is richer colored, nicest grained, and smoothest of the three. Running from a golden brown to a darker brown in wide a beautiful grain pattern with minimal texture. In the red stain it's quite nice but without any another factors I'd lean toward the natural. The main reason to go red is because you're looking for a statement or to fit your decor.

The natural walnut is very nice alternative to the natural santos ... its pattern is more brown to darker brown and does not have the richness but considering the cost (adding something like %25 to %100 the speaker cost)... I'd lean that way instead of the natural santos unless money is not an issue. In that case you'll get IMO the most beautiful wood axiom can get its hands on. The current natural rosewood, depending on your eye, might be ok but I nixed it for myself all the reasons stated above.

If I were to go with the current rosewood I'd consider a stain to hid the tinge. If you're going to pay the big bucks ... get a sample before pulling the trigger.

This is an amazingly good description. I think i understand the picture you are painting.
For the primary reason of price i was thinking of nixing the rosewood idea as well. I'm not sure it's worth the cost especially when the walnut has a really nice grain that stands out as well. I think for the sake of sanity, i'll probably just drop that from the list to narrow down the choices.
Thanks for the stellar write up and notes on the latest with rosewood!

If you have any pictures, post some up.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/21/20 02:57 PM.

Jeff_in_the_D #437450 07/22/20 05:34 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Walnut natural satin in subdued daylight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Jeff_in_the_D #437453 07/22/20 02:37 PM
M
M
Mike, check out the aged walnut. Axiom has turned me into a wood-lover.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/bst-0089

House of the Rising Sone
Jeff_in_the_D #437456 07/22/20 08:50 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted by chesseroo
If you have any pictures, post some up.

Here's a couple of color correct images of all the samples I have. You'll need a calibrated monitor to get the true colors. If you click on it you'll get a bigger pict.

The first is shaded indirect sunlight. This is about the right brightness (you could also bring out the colors by raising the exposure but that's not what it was in real life). This is probably what the speaker will normally look like in room.

More direct sunlight (also brighter) and the colors start to pop ... this is actually a bit toned down since I missed the best time for sun.

rrlev #437458 07/23/20 01:28 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I have the "Current Rosewood" in the first picture labeled wrong ... It's "natural" not "Red" ... here's a corrected version (I removed the previous one):

Note The Santos "Red" is a guess at the stain since Axiom didn't put didn't indicate what it was when they sent it.

Last edited by rrlev; 07/23/20 01:49 AM. Reason: add guess at reddish Santos stain
Jeff_in_the_D #437467 07/23/20 02:01 PM
M
M
That's a pretty fancy window handle.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #437468 07/23/20 07:09 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Mojo
That's a pretty fancy window handle.
You should see what it's attached to smile

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 360 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup