Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
which speakers...plus more questions?
#4368 07/15/02 08:36 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I've been reading this board for over six months, but haven't bought the Axiom speakers...yet! My audiophile friend is cringing at me for not getting to listen to these first. However, I feel confident that they will sound very pleasing. Please tell me they are worth the upgrade from my Infinity RS-4's (which don't sound too bad, but perhaps a bit dull...I wish for speakers to provide more detail). Also, has anyone heard the Boston Acoustics VR-M60's? For some reason, I'm imagining the Axioms to sound like these since they both have tweeters and woofers made out of similar material. I liked the Boston's sound, but not enough to justify their price (they are bookshelf speakers at $1000/pair). I suppose part of their price is due to their wood cabinets (which I don't care about).

So, what Axioms do I choose? I really want to get the M60's because they are a full range speaker. However, I wonder if they would be appropriate considering that I can only have them 5 1/2 ft apart. The room really isn't small, but one wall is totally open and this is the ONLY way given the rest of the layout along with a 61" TV, furniture, windows, doors, etc to deal with. Someone else here has mentioned that the M60's should be at least 8 ft apart. Well, I already have a subwoofer, so I'm wondering if the M22's would be the better alternative. How much detail would I be missing by choosing the M22's?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!
Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Re: which speakers...plus more questions?
#4369 07/15/02 10:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Your audiophile friend is justified in wanting you to hear the speakers before you buy. Rarely does anyone buy a car without ever test driving or even going to see it on the lot, so it stands to reason that same cautious point of view should be taken towards your electronics purchases as well.
That being said, many people on these forums will gladly fill you in on their fine Axiom speakers but some others will also be more than happy to tell you about what they don't like. Those negative qualities may or may not be things that will concern you, but you may never know until you do an audition of the speakers.

Are they going to be an upgrade from your Infinity? That is really a question that only you can answer. Just offhand i have not heard those Infinity speakers but perhaps someone else on the forums who has heard them may be able to give you a more direct comparison.
If however you are looking for speakers with more detail, i have no doubt that the Axioms will provide that for you in droves (assuming your source equipment is also relatively decent).

As for comparing the Bostons to the Axioms, the sound similarities will come down to what an individual hears and prefers, but I would not make the assumption that the speakers will sound similar because they use similar materials for their drivers. My old Technics speakers also use a 1" titanium tweeter and it doesn't sound half as detailed as the one in my M60s.

In regards to what models to choose, i would not be overly concerned about your 5.5 foot limit on spacing. Perhaps 5 or less would start to become a little more of a concern. At the present time my M60s are barely 6 feet apart. Setting up a proper triangle from the speakers to the listening spot compared to the surrounding walls is really the key.
I mentioned in a forum review not long ago that i felt the M60s were not really meant for a smallish room but after some positioning and 'toeing', i managed to create a very decent soundstage for my listening area. I have to add though that the VP150 and QS8s i bought are helping a heckuva alot in this regard.

In comparing the M22s to the M60, i suggest you do a quick search for a review i posted recently in which i had the opportunity to listen to both while deciding on which i wanted to buy. I know there were some other reviews you may also want to read on the M60 and M50 models (again on these forums not long ago).

I hope this will help you somewhat in making your decisions.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4370 07/16/02 03:41 PM
buff
buff
I too was interested in the Boston Acoustics VRM60's. They are by far the best bookshelves I've ever demoed in the $1000 dollar range. I'm currently looking at the Axiom M60's, it seems like a lot of speaker for just $800. There are some other factors why I'm not going for the BA's, but it all comes down to cost and versatility, which I believe Axiom has both in thier product line up.

I probably won't buy until the end of the year. If you do go with the Axiom's please post your thoughts on the differences between the BA VRM60 and the Axiom's (whatever model you decide).

Bestboy4

#4371 07/16/02 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Mary,

Give me the dimensions of the room (length, width, height) and how far away from the TV and main speakers you'll be sitting. I'll be able to advise you better when I know this. ..

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4372 07/16/02 09:02 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hi Alan,

My room dimension is approx. 13 X 20. There is a vaulted ceiling, but I don't know the exact height (possibly 15ft. at it's highest point). I was also incorrect about saying that one of the walls was *entirely* open. The wall I'm talking about runs the length and has about 6ft of wall with the remainder 12ft open. The width perpendicular to this side is where the TV is and the main speakers are(which are about 15 inches from the wall, but again are only about 5 1/2 ft. apart). The listening position is about 13ft. away.

By reading the encouraging comments by chesseroo (thank you for your thorough response, BTW!), I'm really hoping that the M60's will blend nicely being so close together.
In case it matters, I've got the Denon 3802 receiver and my current Infinity's are like the Axiom M40's (one woofer, one tweeter)design. The Infinity's are working well in this position.

Thanks again. I appreciate all your help!
Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
#4373 07/16/02 09:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

I think you'll be sitting back far enough, and the vaulted ceiling will nicely add to the ambient mix of reflected sounds, so you'll be fine with the M60ti's. You should be able to achieve very good imaging and a realistic soundstage with that setup, even though they're just five feet apart.

By the way, if there are clear side wall surfaces (not bookcases filled with stuff) to the left and right (your left and right as you face the speakers), that can enhance the "spaciousness" of the sound from the M60's because they have very smooth off-axis dispersion (to either side).

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4374 07/16/02 09:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi Mary

Well perhaps Alan has fed you enough info to make up your mind. But I'll and my 2 cents worth. Both chess and I have the 60s and we LOVE them. ravi has the 22s and he LOVES them. I don't think choosing either would be a bad decision. I will add that even though you have a subwoofer, if you go with the 60s you can probably set it to a lower crossover point and thus let the 60s handle the "upper" low frequencies, rather than setting it higher and relying on it to make up for the loss of the lower end of the 22s. (Hey I'm not trying to make you M22 lovers mad out there!) I just believe that you can achieve a more seamless transition between the sub and the M60s as compared to the M22s.

Good luck! and don't forget - you CAN try them out for 30 days!

Randyman

#4375 07/17/02 02:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
How come so many forum readers have vaulted ceilings all of a sudden?
Heck, my finished basement has a drop ceiling that comes to about the 7 foot mark (someone dropped the ceiling a bit too much methinks).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4376 07/17/02 02:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Sonicfox
I had a pair of Infinity Composition Overture 3 fronts and RS3 side surround speakers (Infinity CC3 center). I picked up a pair of M3Tis and was floored. I liked the little Axioms better than the Overture 3s! The Axioms are more accurate and much more pleasant to listen to. The Infinities always sounded like nice speakers. The Axiom, on occasion, sounded like live music. I sold all my Infinities. I had a pair of M50s in the front, but replaced them with a pair of Axiom built M60-like M665s. They're incredible. I have a pair of Axiom built M22 like side surrounds (M55s) and love them. For a center channel, I use the Axiom built Merak MC6H 2 x 6.5" drivers and a great 7" horn tweeter. Love that speaker!

I think once you get some M60s you will just shake your head in disbelief at how totally superior they are to your Infinity RS4s. JMO.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044