C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And again, this is the Boston Cherry vinyl, before the real wood took over.

Last edited by CV; 07/21/20 09:42 PM.
Re: Starting to oggle... - Q for the Denon owners
chesseroo #437459 07/23/20 01:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FYI:
I added some pictures comparing samples I received for the current rosewood in natural, the older santos rosewood in natural and a reddish stain (not sure what but Ian will know), and walnut in natural..

https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/u...er-finishs-rosewood-red-satin#Post437458

Re: Starting to oggle - conclusion pending
chesseroo #439478 11/05/20 06:07 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So the oggling is finally moving to an action point.
It seems like the two TV OLED options that i was perusing from 2019 (looking for sales earlier this year on last year's models) have taken a twist. Sony doesn't have a 2020 OLED in 75" (e.g. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/sony-2020-tv-lineup). Their website only has last years models on it for 75" OLEDs and the lineup for 2020 has 75" 8k LEDs and otherwise midsize OLED and a newer smaller one at 48".

Hence, i have two choices; buy a 2019 Sony A9G or the new 2020 LG CX.
Both are listed as 77". Both are OLED.
There's the odd small differences like the LG has HDMI 2.1. The Sony does not.
Hard to compare the image quality. Last year Sony vs. LG generally came to this; Sony had a slight edge for video quality, but how much a person would notice would be hard to do without having them side by side; two things i remember is that Sony handled motion better and was slightly richer with colours but LG was touted as better for gaming because of refresh rates.

I'm thinking these differences are minor AND this was comparing 2019 models whereas i'm looking at the LG 2020 model. Incidentally, you can sort of compare the 2019 Sony A9G with the new 2020 LG CX using the rtings.com pull down comparison list. The newer LG actually scores slightly higher in some categories; https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-cx-vs-sony-a9g/10619/833?usage=11114&threshold=0.1
Watching a review of the 2020 Sony vs LG tech seems to corroborate some very similar observations as made for their 2019 OLED comparisons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHTEU2tBhQ
BUT again, since Sony doesn't have a 75" OLED for 2020...i'm left considering their 2019 A9G.

Nonetheless, if i want the latest gen features (like HDMI 2.1 and i'm not sure i care about that specifically), or the latest LG processor, etc. then there is only one choice; the LG CX.
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-OLED77CXPUA?returnFlag=Y#

I might pull the trigger tomorrow unless someone here can change my mind and make me think the 2019 Sony A9G is still the better buy.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #439479 11/05/20 08:17 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I got a 65" LG C9 before the CX came out. I absolutely love the picture quality with good content. I looked up settings online, and I haven't felt the need to fiddle with them after putting them in. Feature-wise, the LG sets are hard to beat. At least, we'll see how good the HDMI 2.1 features are as more HDMI 2.1 devices come out.

I'm not so concerned with burn-in anymore, but one issue I haven't followed up on yet is that occasionally it will randomly shut off. It comes right back on, but it's still annoying when it happens. Reading online, it seems to be a common problem, and there are quite a number of theories. I've been dragging my feet on contacting customer support because who likes dealing with that? I have extra warranty thanks to Costco, but I should still get the process going. This one issue is the only thing preventing me from saying to rush out and get an LG OLED.

Whichever one you choose, I'll be jealous of your screen size. Maybe in a couple generations I'll be able to jump up into that next level.

chesseroo #439480 11/05/20 09:31 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
I vote sony for full dts:x and atmos eArc support.

I hate the LG menu system, but thats just me.

CV #439481 11/05/20 03:44 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted by CV
I got a 65" LG C9 before the CX came out. I absolutely love the picture quality with good content. I looked up settings online, and I haven't felt the need to fiddle with them after putting them in. Feature-wise, the LG sets are hard to beat. At least, we'll see how good the HDMI 2.1 features are as more HDMI 2.1 devices come out.

I'm not so concerned with burn-in anymore, but one issue I haven't followed up on yet is that occasionally it will randomly shut off. It comes right back on, but it's still annoying when it happens. Reading online, it seems to be a common problem, and there are quite a number of theories. I've been dragging my feet on contacting customer support because who likes dealing with that? I have extra warranty thanks to Costco, but I should still get the process going. This one issue is the only thing preventing me from saying to rush out and get an LG OLED.

Whichever one you choose, I'll be jealous of your screen size. Maybe in a couple generations I'll be able to jump up into that next level.

Thanks CV.
I recall your earlier note about the LG OLED and your favourable opinion on its overall quality. Perhaps the CX series won't have the same shut off issue as yours. I can't say i came across that when i was looking into the C9 last year, but these type of bugs usually come to light long after the industry reviews were published. Since the CX came out earlier this year, i'm hoping to find some other reviews today, one last check, to see if any bugs have been reported that could be deal breakers. I won't be buying this thing at Costco, so the 1 year warranty is all i've got. I'm not paying $400 for any extended warranty.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #439482 11/05/20 03:51 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted by TrevorM
I vote sony for full dts:x and atmos eArc support.

I hate the LG menu system, but thats just me.
The DTS and Atmos support via eARC won't be issues for us. We aren't going to Atmos (max. 7.2, possibly 9.2 if i felt ambitious and flush with cash but still highly unlikely). Second, with a new AVR also pending, all HDMI connections will run through the AVR to tv. I can't think of anything we would need to hook up in reverse to use eARC. I think earlier this year that was going to be a use for a purpose but now i don't think it matters. In hindsight, i should have left myself some better notes during my research phase. As it was, i kept thinking that i actually wanted/needed the Sony A1E and not the A9G for some reason. I cannot remember what that reason was anymore. It's irrelevant now since the A1E cannot be found anywhere in Canada for sale (discontinued) and the A9G has limited stock.

As for the LG menu system, i somewhat understand. We have both a LG and a Sony here in the house. If Sony still had a 75" OLED for 2020, i would be looking hard at it. However, since they do not, and there is a chance to get the LG for a good price, i'm going down that LG rabbit hole again. I hope i don't have buyer's remorse after when i discover some bug like CV mentioned. I think earlier in this thread or another one i swore i wouldn't much consider buying another LG product because i have never found 100% quality in their products (e.g. the shut off bug as a great example).

chesseroo #439483 11/05/20 05:16 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Looks like this power issue could be something with the new CX series as well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/grjx2p/lg_cx_65_problems/

Hard to say if this is specific to LG or whether it is a panel related issue that Sony may also have. Offhand, i had a LG monitor years ago that died from a power supply issue that sounds just like this one with the OLED panels coincidentally. Flicking on and off, power cycling, eventually failing to come on much at all, serviced twice through warranty then finally when off warranty it got e-wasted (back to my earlier stories on not liking LG quality).

Then there's banding (the dirty screen effect):
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/hpk4lq/lg_cx_but_having_my_third_one_delivered_now/

Last edited by chesseroo; 11/05/20 05:20 PM.

CV #439485 11/05/20 06:57 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted by CV
is that occasionally it will randomly shut off. It comes right back on, but it's still annoying when it happens. Reading online, it seems to be a common problem, and there are quite a number of theories. I've been dragging my feet on contacting customer support because who likes dealing with that? I have extra warranty thanks to Costco, but I should still get the process going. This one issue is the only thing preventing me from saying to rush out and get an LG OLED.

Honestly, you've got me a bit spooked with this still. I came across this on the LG site but i suspect that is not the issue for most people.
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1412238468277

I haven't seen this reported for any of the Sony sets, so atm, i think i'm actually leaning towards the 2019 Sony A9G. A few more look arounds for any other widespread reports and i'll make the decision.
I have ZERO interest in having another call to LG about a monitor with power issues of some sort right after the warranty runs out.

Last edited by chesseroo; 11/05/20 06:58 PM.

chesseroo #439486 11/05/20 07:08 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The more i look around about LG and its power issues, i think Sony is the choice here. What is it with LG not making/using quality PSUs in their products?
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/21/...rea-power-board-current-draw-overheating

Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082