Rate Thread
Page 420 of 434 1 2 418 419 420 421 422 433 434
Re: So what are you watching tonight?
CV #439155 10/17/20 04:14 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
You have a great restaurant in your backyard - The Herbfarm. We've ate there and it's pretty damn amazing. Great weekend getaway, stay at the Willows Lodge, walk across the parking lot to the restaurant, wander around the tasting rooms the next day. https://www.willowslodge.com/woodinville_restaurants/herbfarm_restaurant/

michael_d #439187 10/18/20 10:07 AM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by michael_d
You have a great restaurant in your backyard - The Herbfarm.

I will have to remember that one the next time I'm up that direction. Thanks for the tip!

CV #439400 10/31/20 07:15 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
A friend of mine got me hooked at a YouTube cooking channel. Almazan Kitchen. I think he's in Serbia, his "kitchen" is the forest. Amazing dishes made all by hand over a fire. Videos are about 10 minutes each, no talking. You just have to watch one to understand. Of course, everything is titled "best", or "ultimate"...... I'm thinking some dishes probably are though. He even makes pasta from scratch, in the friggin woods.

Another new series I started watching last night on NetFlix. The Queen's Gambit. I'm a sucker for anything chess (I play), but this series is pretty good. About a female Bobby Fisher of sorts. Set in the 30's, I believe.

CV #440625 01/10/21 03:07 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My sister bought me a ticket to another internet comedy show. Michael Ian Black this time, who was hilarious. He also had Mike Birbiglia and Samantha Ruddy as guests. I should probably pay attention more to who is doing these shows. It's a good way to spend an evening.

CV #440884 01/24/21 04:36 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Watched Tenate 4K last night. All I can say is "weird". Difficult to follow. I detest any type of time travel movie to begin with, but this one had all kinds of new twists to make an old plot even less plausible. The main character wasn't all that impressive either. But as far as sound and video quality goes, it was a treat. My Atmos speakers got a good work out.

michael_d #440887 01/25/21 01:26 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by michael_d
Watched Tenate 4K last night. All I can say is "weird".

I've enjoyed Christopher Nolan's movies enough, but I haven't been able to make myself watch this one yet. Most of his movies are a bit too convoluted for my liking, with maybe Memento and Dunkirk being the exceptions. He doesn't know how to rein himself in, always pushes the story one or two steps past over-complicated, and from what I've read, this is the worst offender, which is crazy since he already made Inception. I'll probably buckle and watch it at some point. Comments I've read are similar to yours, so I'm not in a rush.

CV #440945 01/30/21 03:38 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I re-watched Freaks and Geeks on Hulu even though I have it on Blu-ray just to help its streaming numbers. Even though I've watched it so many times, I still got invested and saw new little moments in the performances.

I've been enjoying WandaVision on Disney+, but it already feels like they're wasting story momentum at a time when it could really be wowing us. Here's hoping they don't drag their feet too much.

CV #441149 02/07/21 04:31 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Midsommar was really messed up. That's not to say it wasn't well-done. I just don't think movies that make me feel gross inside are for me. Ha ha. I wanted to see Florence Pugh in something before seeing her as a badass in Black Widow, though, and it does work as a showcase for her acting. Just remind me not to vacation in a remote commune in Sweden.

CV #441154 02/07/21 11:06 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Rewatching Game of Thrones on 4K bluray. Already owned but wanted to have the Atmos upgrade for the collection. Freaking expensive though....

Gotta say, season one so far is not all that different looking than the Bluray version. Hope the other seasons have more pop. Sound is good though. If I remember they do goose up the sound in future seasons (even the titles get a bump in LFE.). Hopefully video was captured better in upcoming episodes.

Anyone know if they filmed in higher res as some point?

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #441168 02/08/21 02:32 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Anyone know if they filmed in higher res as some point?

Reading through this review:

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection (4K UHD Review) - The Digital Bits

Originally Posted by The Digital Bits
It’s easy to forget now, but Game of Thrones was the first hour-long HBO drama to be captured entirely digitally. The first three seasons were shot in 10-bit 4:4:4 at 1920x1080 resolution using then prototype ARRI Alexa cameras (save for a bit of footage in the first episode that was actually shot on 35 mm film, left over from HBO’s original failed pilot). For Season One the captured image was recorded on HDCAM SR videotape using a tape-based workflow, with color correction done on set. For Seasons Two and Three, the production went tapeless, recording that same image data via Codex and datapacks. Though this source material was upsampled to 4K (at a 1.78:1 aspect ratio), it’s shocking how good it looks. HDCAM SR has an HQ recording mode that provides an 880 Mbps video data rate with low compression, so the detail visible in the Ultra HD image is improved a bit; it’s rock solid, tighter-looking, and much less noisy than the previous Blu-ray presentation. A few shots appear a little optically soft, but in general the overall detail is very good—not native 4K good, but still impressive as hell all things considered. Also, because the image was captured in 10-bit, and Ultra HD presents that bit depth fully, gone are the banding artifacts that were visible in the BD image (you notice this almost immediately after the opening credits in the first episode, as the banner-men from Winterfell capture the deserter from the Night’s Watch—when they ride over the hill, the banding visible in the sky in that scene is now gone).

By the time Season Four arrived, Arri was well established and fully-digital workflows were far more common. So the production switched to shooting in 3.2K Pro-Res and ARRIRAW format for the remainder of the series, using Arri Alexa Mini, XT, and SXT Plus cameras with Cooke S4 and Angenieux Optimo Lenses (note that some location photography was also done with Red Epic-M Dragon cameras in 6K Redcode RAW). It appears that the series’ VFX were produced in consistently in 2K resolution. The final seasons of the series were finished in 4K to begin with, while the earlier seasons were upsampled to create new 4K DIs. For this Ultra HD release, the resulting image has also graded for high dynamic range (both HDR10 and Dolby Vision are included). There’s no doubt whatsoever that every single episode of this series looks better in 4K than it did on Blu-ray, and the later seasons are significantly improved. There’s a shot of Tyrion in the Season Six episode The Battle of the Bastards where the fine gold embroidery on his tunic is exquisitely detailed.

As you can imagine, and as you’ll know already if you’ve seen the Seasons One and Eight 4K sets, high dynamic range adds much to this image. It’s a restrained grade, but one that makes the colors richer and more nuanced, while deepening the shadows and adding a more natural luminance to the highlights. This helps both darker night and winter scenes as well as those shot in broad daylight. The overcast sky in the North is now bolder, with a more realistic glow, while the opening sequence of the first episode (set beyond the Wall) is more gloomy and ominous. Dragon fire has greater brilliance, armor gleams more accurately in the sunlight. Finally, The Long Night can be seen as it was meant to be (for some of you, it will be like seeing the episode for the first time). Fans who can take advantage of Dolby Vision will be especially pleased by its impact on that episode. The important takeaway here is that HBO’s Ultra HD release absolutely improves upon the Blu-ray viewing experience. And while it’s not native 4K, it’s not a small improvement either. Even the 4K menu screens have been upgraded to 4K with HDR—a nice touch.

Page 420 of 434 1 2 418 419 420 421 422 433 434

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,098 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup