Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Live Concerts
#440649 01/13/21 04:22 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
looking for some great live performances.

Best one i've found so far, is Justin Timberlake and the Tennessee kids. Worth watching before knocking the pop star boy band. It's on Netflix.

I'm starting this thread hoping people will share great live performance's that can be streamed. I've found a few on Amazon and Netflix.

Apple TV has a decent live performance video playlist that is really great but we're thirsty for more.

Lots of speakers from many
manufactures...mostly Axiom
Re: Live Concerts
Rebulx #440651 01/13/21 10:10 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
LCD Soundsystem- Shut Up and Play the Hits

https://www.amazon.com/Shut-Play-Hits-James-Murphy/dp/B0095R3C6S

They are a dance/punk type band with heavy influence from the talking heads. Very cool. I sometimes use it as a demo for people who have never experienced a dynamic system. First 5 minutes usually blow peoples minds. First song starts quiet and you set the volume....... then.......

Excellent show and sound. We flew to Montreal to see them after watching the concert on Bluray. Most incredible sound experience I have had. James Murphy (lead vocals) is obsessed with production quality and oversees live sound (ex audio engineer.) He produced albums for Arcade Fire and David Bowie as well.

He is known for using all Macintosh amps in smaller live setups and building a custom sound system called despacio. Incredible!

https://www.musictech.net/features/interviews/james-murphy-soulwax-despacio/

Highly recommended. (On Bluray!) smile

2 members like this: Rebulx, Andrew
Rebulx #440653 01/13/21 02:27 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Live Aid 1985

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
Rebulx #440656 01/13/21 05:54 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
One of my favorite concerts on DVD is Collective Soul: Home.

The BlueRay version isn't really any better than the DVD. I really like this one because they partnered with the Atlanta Youth Orchestra. I thought it was pretty amazing. I suppose if you don't like Collective Soul, you won't like this DVD either.......

Dave Mathews with Tim Reynolds is probably the best mixed/recorded BR concert I've seen. I don't like Dave Mathews too much, but Tim Reynolds is freeking amazing in this concert.

michael_d #440657 01/13/21 06:10 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Hey Michael,
Is the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds concert worth purchasing?
I have a Dave concert, The Central Park Concert from 2003, really like it.
Wouldn't mind having another!

Jeff

Rebulx #440663 01/13/21 09:32 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Definitely worth getting the BR disk. It sounds (and looks) incredible. Plus, Reynolds' guitar playing is really something special to see. I had no idea one could make the sounds he does with that thing.

Rebulx #440757 01/16/21 10:12 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
I’m going to recommend the Hans Zimmer - “Live in Prague “ blue ray concert disk again.

Jeff

Rebulx #440771 01/18/21 12:07 AM
M
veteran
veteran
M
Bruce Springsteen London Calling Live in Hyde Park is on Youtube. Great show!

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #440778 01/18/21 02:58 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by TrevorM
LCD Soundsystem- Shut Up and Play the Hits

https://www.amazon.com/Shut-Play-Hits-James-Murphy/dp/B0095R3C6S

They are a dance/punk type band with heavy influence from the talking heads. Very cool. I sometimes use it as a demo for people who have never experienced a dynamic system. First 5 minutes usually blow peoples minds. First song starts quiet and you set the volume....... then.......

Excellent show and sound. We flew to Montreal to see them after watching the concert on Bluray. Most incredible sound experience I have had. James Murphy (lead vocals) is obsessed with production quality and oversees live sound (ex audio engineer.) He produced albums for Arcade Fire and David Bowie as well.

He is known for using all Macintosh amps in smaller live setups and building a custom sound system called despacio. Incredible!

https://www.musictech.net/features/interviews/james-murphy-soulwax-despacio/

Highly recommended. (On Bluray!) smile

That is interesting. The first 5 min is intro, is that what your using? How far in is a good listen?
Seems like a decent doc though Definitely will watch. thanks.

michael_d #440779 01/18/21 03:00 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by michael_d
One of my favorite concerts on DVD is Collective Soul: Home.

The BlueRay version isn't really any better than the DVD. I really like this one because they partnered with the Atlanta Youth Orchestra. I thought it was pretty amazing. I suppose if you don't like Collective Soul, you won't like this DVD either.......

Dave Mathews with Tim Reynolds is probably the best mixed/recorded BR concert I've seen. I don't like Dave Mathews too much, but Tim Reynolds is freeking amazing in this concert.

Do you know if you can you stream live performances of Collective Soul?

Jeff_in_the_D #440781 01/18/21 03:05 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_the_D
I’m going to recommend the Hans Zimmer - “Live in Prague “ blue ray concert disk again.

Jeff

Ordered the blu ray and got the amazon stream. It'll be an experiment to see which sounds better, and if it's worth buying blu rays.

Didn't know who he was but we recognize all his stuff! Best share YET! I guess he does the music for all the best movies?

I encourage others to listen to this!

Last edited by Rebulx; 01/18/21 03:15 AM.

michael_d #440782 01/18/21 03:18 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by michael_d

Is that only available in audio? or is video too?

Rebulx #440790 01/18/21 04:46 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hans Zimmer - “Live in Prague “ is a must listen for everyone! It's fun and it really lets yours speakers roam around a bit to areas not normally visited. turn up and enjoy... thank you Jeff!

Rebulx #440798 01/18/21 11:09 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Sorry - shut up and play the hits is a doc, but discs 2 and 3 are the concert at madison square garden.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa #440802 01/19/21 02:17 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Sorry - shut up and play the hits is a doc, but discs 2 and 3 are the concert at madison square garden.

Makes sense. I watched some of the doc, it's not bad.

Rebulx #440806 01/19/21 03:27 AM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Hey Rebulx,
I'm glad you enjoyed it. One of my favorite concert disks. I would have a difficult time choosing a favorite track, maybe Journey to the LIne or Interstellar or perhaps Inception. As I said difficult to choose.
This concert performance is an auditory feast, from the simplest of orchestrations with minimal instrumentation to the most complicated of scoring with over 70 performers contributing. Good stuff!
Played on a decent pair of floorstanders it can be quite an intimate experience.
And yes he or one of his associates (Remote Control Productions) have worked on many successful well received films.The list of current and former composers working at RCP is fairly long and notable.

An interesting facet of his career. Late in the 70's Zimmer was the keyboardist in a band called the Buggles.
In the early 80's their single "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the first music video played on, you guessed it, MTV!

Another concert disk I enjoy is Peter Gabriel "Secret World Live". First time I saw it was on a PBS special presentation, years later found it on DVD, more good stuff! Gabriel, although not as theatrical as he once was as a member of Genesis gives a stellar performance backed by a group of extremely talented musicians from around the world.

cheers
Jeff

Rebulx #440809 01/19/21 03:59 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hey Jeff,

That was a neat tid bit about Han's, small world I guess! He has the skills to pay the bills!

Looking forward to trying your second suggestion. Your first was without question the BEST we've heard. I've steamed several times and also ordered the dvd. Hope Peter Gabriel is just as good.

Rebulx #440812 01/20/21 01:32 AM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Hey Rebulx,
I can’t say the Gabriel is just as good. I know that I’ve always enjoyed it. Perhaps you will too.

enjoy,
Jeff

Rebulx #440816 01/20/21 02:31 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hey Jeff, Han's blu ray arrived today...damn kids are in bed so it'll have to wait till tomorrow, lol, looking forward to comparing the streaming to the blu ray. That was one of the very best concerts i've seen to date. thanks for that!

Rebulx #440817 01/20/21 03:42 AM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Rebulx,
Are you listening in stereo or Atmos?
I’ve only heard this in stereo. I also have this on cd. To me, the stereo mix on the cd is decidedly better than the Blu-rays stereo mix.
But both are good.
Would like to hear the Atmos mix at some point.

Jeff

Rebulx #440829 01/20/21 05:09 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Rebulx,

Another of my favorite concerts is from 2001, I think. It is an Irish band called the Corrs. Three sisters and a brother and a couple other musicians. The Corrs “Live in London”.
I like it, you may also.

Also maybe check out the film “The Committments”. Again you may or may not enjoy it but in my humble opinion it’s a cut above what’s passes for entertainment now adays. And as a precaution I should mention there is some cursing in the film, in case you have children.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_in_the_D; 01/20/21 05:14 PM.
Rebulx #440880 01/24/21 05:11 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
The blu ray is miles better. I've been doing a/b comparisons in different sound formats. From streaming to blue ray. The stereo format seems to be the best way to listen to streaming. But there is no question the blu ray version is the way to go, it's high fidelity, i've found that dolby sounds the best, but Yamaha's AI is really good too. Going back and forth between dolby and AI and it's a tough call.

I started the a/b comparison to see the difference between blu ray and streaming, i've found that if both are played in stereo it's tough to hear the difference. But you select a decoder, the blu ray is an entire level all together.

Rebulx #440885 01/24/21 08:20 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I must confirm, with all the "hubub" about streaming, whether it be regular Blu Ray or 4K discs with HDR/Dolby Vision video, Dolby Atmos, music or movies, hands down the disc will almost ALWAYS be superior to streaming in every way. The picture is better, the sound is better, you get the extras and keep the disc forever and in my case, that is even with an upper echelon streaming service. Just as an example on Netflix recently they debuted the original Blade Runner and I also happen to have the disc with 4K/HDR. The verdict? No comparison and of course, Netflix doesn't provide the Dolby Atmos soundtrack and compared to the disc the streaming service is 5.1 HD with a somewhat "washed-out" picture.

Incidentally, I also own the Yamaha CX-A 5200 Pre-Pro and another recent Yamaha AVR and whether it be streaming or a disc, the AI and whatever soundtrack that is being transmitted are not an either/or situation. If you are watching a disc with Dolby Atmos, even with clicking on the AI function, that doesn't change. AI is just slightly adjusting the channels between the soundtrack and dialogue without affecting the "original" soundtrack and I can only assume that is done with some form of compression. Also, if you are watching a streaming service connected through the Pre-Pro/AVR by pressing the On-screen menu and scanning down to the "information" button, it will display onscreen the audio/video information coming from the source.

A point of interest, for those that have a "Premium" Netflix account with an HDR/Dolby Vision compatible video device, if you already have or looking to buy a new 4K BR player, the Panasonic UB820/9000 models, regardless of the original video content and how it is transmitted(SDR/HDR), enables the viewer to watch EVERYTHING through the players Netflix app in Dolby Vision.

Rebulx #440886 01/25/21 01:19 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I can't afford to buy discs like all you affluent folks. I blew my life savings on speakers, amps and subs so I can listen to my 8-track tapes in hi-fi.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Rebulx #440888 01/25/21 01:40 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
It seems like a streaming future is unavoidable, but I'll support physical media as long as it's there. That being said, some of the best visuals I've seen have been via streaming, but it's device-dependent. I don't know what's different in the video hardware, but I've been impressed by the Apple TV 4K's output. Tiny World, a nature series on Apple TV+'s service, and The Mandalorian on Disney+ are two standouts that blew me away with how good they look, and the audio on The Mandalorian did it for me, too. But I tried watching the same content through apps on my Xbox Series X, and the picture wasn't as nice. Some of it might just be the Xbox apps not being up to par. Netflix content also looked worse on the Xbox Series X at first, but it seems like it has been improved since then. But I end up watching all streaming content besides Netflix on the Apple TV 4K since it looks as good or better than any other device I've owned, from the crispness of each app's interface to actual playing content. I don't like supporting Apple, but they did something right with this unit.

As far as streaming live performances, if you have HBO Max, I periodically go back to Mon Laferte's performance in their A Tiny Audience series. It's short and sweet and gives me goosebumps every time.

CV #440889 01/25/21 04:24 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by CV
It seems like a streaming future is unavoidable, but I'll support physical media as long as it's there. That being said, some of the best visuals I've seen have been via streaming, but it's device-dependent. I don't know what's different in the video hardware, but I've been impressed by the Apple TV 4K's output. Tiny World, a nature series on Apple TV+'s service, and The Mandalorian on Disney+ are two standouts that blew me away with how good they look, and the audio on The Mandalorian did it for me, too. But I tried watching the same content through apps on my Xbox Series X, and the picture wasn't as nice. Some of it might just be the Xbox apps not being up to par. Netflix content also looked worse on the Xbox Series X at first, but it seems like it has been improved since then. But I end up watching all streaming content besides Netflix on the Apple TV 4K since it looks as good or better than any other device I've owned, from the crispness of each app's interface to actual playing content. I don't like supporting Apple, but they did something right with this unit.

As far as streaming live performances, if you have HBO Max, I periodically go back to Mon Laferte's performance in their A Tiny Audience series. It's short and sweet and gives me goosebumps every time.

I've been meaning to watch "Tiny World" will now for sure. The convenience of streaming is hard to beat. But no doubt the disc is better.

casey01 #440890 01/25/21 04:29 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by casey01
Incidentally, I also own the Yamaha CX-A 5200 Pre-Pro... Also, if you are watching a streaming service connected through the Pre-Pro/AVR by pressing the On-screen menu and scanning down to the "information" button, it will display onscreen the audio/video information coming from the source.

Thanks for that, that was a good tid bit and will have to try to see which streaming services provide good audio.

Rebulx #440969 01/31/21 08:24 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Rebulx,
I see you enjoyed David Gilmour "Live at Pompeii". Me too, one of my favorites.
With that in mind I'll suggest you check out the 1972 Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" Directors Cut and also the
Pink Floyd concert "PULSE". Video wise not as good as I'd like but the audio is quite good.

My next selections would be-
Joe Bonamassa "Live at the Greek Theatre"
Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's"
Not real big on this next artist, he's sort of a douche but this concert isn't terrible-
John Mayer "Live in Los Angles"

I have more.

enjoy,
Jeff

Jeff_in_the_D #440978 02/01/21 04:12 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Rebulx,
I see you enjoyed David Gilmour "Live at Pompeii". Me too, one of my favorites.
With that in mind I'll suggest you check out the 1972 Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" Directors Cut and also the
Pink Floyd concert "PULSE". Video wise not as good as I'd like but the audio is quite good.

My next selections would be-
Joe Bonamassa "Live at the Greek Theatre"
Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's"
Not real big on this next artist, he's sort of a douche but this concert isn't terrible-
John Mayer "Live in Los Angles"

I have more.

enjoy,
Jeff

I've got those however, is PULSE the same as David Gilmour's live a Pompeii? or similar to Royal Alberts Hall?

Rebulx #440989 02/01/21 02:22 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
The “PULSE” concert is from the group Pink Floyd, minus Rodger Waters who had previously quit the band. So yes, David Gilmore and Nick Mason and Richard Wright (all original members) are present with numerous additional musicians and singers.

Jeff_in_the_D #441072 02/05/21 03:56 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
The “PULSE” concert is from the group Pink Floyd, minus Rodger Waters who had previously quit the band. So yes, David Gilmore and Nick Mason and Richard Wright (all original members) are present with numerous additional musicians and singers.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617