Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Off-Topic: Seeking Grill advice
#44083 05/02/04 03:53 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Last year, I replaced my 15 year old rusted Ducane with a Weber Genesis Silver B. I needed something bigger than the A model. I'm very satisfied with it. I upgraded to all stainless, instead of porcelain.

#44084 05/02/04 05:34 PM
veteran
veteran
Charcoal > *

#44085 05/02/04 05:44 PM
veteran
veteran
I'll second the charcoal.

My 22" Weber kettle is about 5 years old and probably gets used 200 times a year - maybe more. It's still going strong. Sometimes I wish I had gas grill as well - for those times when I've run out of charcoal or don't have time to fool with the charcoal. I know this is blasphemous, but sometimes I think it would be easier to gas when cooking ribs - it's a hassle pre-burning and staging charcoal to keep the temp right...

Whichever you decide, you can't go wrong if you're grilling.

^billy

videoslave
#44086 05/02/04 06:26 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
twodan,

Thanks for the offer, but the whole thing needs replacing. Last year I replaced the burner (H-shape), lower grate, and the grilling surface. I also replaced the lava rocks with pyramidal ceramic briquettes. It still taked forever to heat up. Trust me -- this grill has seen better days. I'd rather not sink any more money into it.

#44087 05/02/04 07:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Glad to see you guys discussing this...

I burned my rebuilt hand-me-down Sunbeam grill straight down to the ground...literally!...It fell apart while I was smoking my last brisket...I have pictures... Anyone want to see?

I am interested in if there exists such a beast as this:
A grill that has a wood / charcoal box (aka smoker) off to one side (when you want to smoke something) but also has a propane burner when you do not want to wait on wood or charcoal...

Not really interested in a stack smoker...something that is as wide as a large grill but has the smoke / charcoal box off to the side.

I had thought about buying a good wood / charcoal grill and retrofitting it with a propane burner and lava rocks...

Anybody seen a creature like the above?

Thanks in advance,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#44088 05/02/04 08:22 PM
veteran
veteran
Haven't seen one but if you find one let me know.

Also, I want to see pictures of you buring stuff down. Thats always interesting.

#44089 05/03/04 11:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Peter, try to find a grill with tube burners - they'll last longer than the "H" style. (OR any type that is a clamshell with the crimped outer ring) Also, try to find one that doesn't use briquettes or lava rocks. You'll have fewer uncontrolled flare-ups.

Up here in Canada, a really well built Q is the Napoleon. Not sure about dealers in CA, though. Some have a rear burner for rotising, as well as a smoker tube option. Most also have the option of a Charcoal Tray. Pretty slick - light the charcoal with the gas/propane - when the charcoal is up to temp, shut the gas off and you're good to go.

I have the Prestige II PT450RB with the blue lid and just love it.

Check them out here: http://www.napoleongrills.com/Webshare/index.html

*Side note - at your price point, you will probably be looking at their "Ultra Chef" line. They start at $399 Cdn.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#44090 05/03/04 02:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh, I forget to mention - Napoleon is another great Canadian company producing high "Value-for-your-dollar" products. They are located in Barrie, about an hour and a half south of Axiom.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#44091 05/03/04 04:09 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Those Napoleon grills look really great.

Peter, you may WANT a decent grill for $300 - just like we all WANT M60's to cost $500. I shopped this issue pretty hard last year (although I did not come up with the Napoleon brand, apparently due to distribution deficiencies). For the options I had, I don't think you can do better than a Weber.

We subscribe to Cook's Illustrated. It is expensive, but it is a great magazine. The test they did was very thorough and informative. I will not assert it "science" but it was compelling. They liked the Weber silver a lot - high, even heat.

I still have a 22" Weber kettle that I have been using for charcoal for about 15 years. It is awesome. There is nothing like charcoal for ultimate control and intense heat. But for convenience and scale, you can't beat gas.

I ended up with a Weber Gold B. I would have gotten the Silver series and been delighted, but we ended up running a new natural gas line in our new house for the stove, and well, while we're at it, let's just go ahead and have natural gas on the patio for the BBQ too. Since I made the commitment to Natural Gas, I would have had to special order just about ANY grill (the LP and NG grills use fundamentally different burners). I found a good deal on a floor model for the NG Gold B and snapped it up.

I like the use of stainless for the grills, flavorizer bars and top of the Gold series. I doubt they work "better", but they do exude a pure sense of purpose that I enjoy. Until I learn more about what I might be missing, I feel pretty confident that I did not pay for diminishing marginal returns. I would not consider a more costly grill, but feel happy that I spent what I did.

A couple of observations: First, charcoal burns hotter than LP gas which burns hotter than NG. Bummer for me. Since I mostly grill beef, I could have used the extra heat, but it is still pretty great. The convenience of being able to get "started" that quickly is something I really appreciate. It is just much faster, with overall much less maintenance than either charcoal or LP.

That being said, I'm spoiled. Few people will have the option to use NG. And the purist in me KNOWS that charcoal is really "better", but it is a compromise I make in order to have more time and to use the grill more often.

Whether NG or LP, you can impart excellent smoke flavor by employing a pouch of hard wood chips. I put about a cup of apple wood chips (my favorite, and yes, I do think it makes a difference) into a couple thicknesses of heavy duty foil. Then, I crimp up the foil around the edges so that it is a flat square about 3" across. Poke about 5 small holes in the top and bottom with the tip of a knife. Set it on the grill and close the lid about 7 minutes before you want to start cooking. When you start getting smoke, throw the meat on and close the lid again. It's NOT charcoal, but it is a pretty effective method.

Sorry for the long post. Most of you know all this already, I'm sure. It is something for which I have some passion, so I wanted to share my experience.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#44092 05/03/04 04:32 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

(the LP and NG grills use fundamentally different burners).

I've also heard success from the nat gas jockeys (the guys that do installs) that simply boring out the venturis works for converting a propane to nat gas. I can't speak for how well it works... I've eaten food off their BBQs and it seems to work well, but with no first hand experience - I can't say for sure.

Bren R.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020