Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Live Concerts
Rebulx #440829 01/20/21 05:09 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Rebulx,

Another of my favorite concerts is from 2001, I think. It is an Irish band called the Corrs. Three sisters and a brother and a couple other musicians. The Corrs “Live in London”.
I like it, you may also.

Also maybe check out the film “The Committments”. Again you may or may not enjoy it but in my humble opinion it’s a cut above what’s passes for entertainment now adays. And as a precaution I should mention there is some cursing in the film, in case you have children.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_in_the_D; 01/20/21 05:14 PM.
Rebulx #440880 01/24/21 05:11 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
The blu ray is miles better. I've been doing a/b comparisons in different sound formats. From streaming to blue ray. The stereo format seems to be the best way to listen to streaming. But there is no question the blu ray version is the way to go, it's high fidelity, i've found that dolby sounds the best, but Yamaha's AI is really good too. Going back and forth between dolby and AI and it's a tough call.

I started the a/b comparison to see the difference between blu ray and streaming, i've found that if both are played in stereo it's tough to hear the difference. But you select a decoder, the blu ray is an entire level all together.

Lots of speakers from many
manufactures...mostly Axiom
Rebulx #440885 01/24/21 08:20 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I must confirm, with all the "hubub" about streaming, whether it be regular Blu Ray or 4K discs with HDR/Dolby Vision video, Dolby Atmos, music or movies, hands down the disc will almost ALWAYS be superior to streaming in every way. The picture is better, the sound is better, you get the extras and keep the disc forever and in my case, that is even with an upper echelon streaming service. Just as an example on Netflix recently they debuted the original Blade Runner and I also happen to have the disc with 4K/HDR. The verdict? No comparison and of course, Netflix doesn't provide the Dolby Atmos soundtrack and compared to the disc the streaming service is 5.1 HD with a somewhat "washed-out" picture.

Incidentally, I also own the Yamaha CX-A 5200 Pre-Pro and another recent Yamaha AVR and whether it be streaming or a disc, the AI and whatever soundtrack that is being transmitted are not an either/or situation. If you are watching a disc with Dolby Atmos, even with clicking on the AI function, that doesn't change. AI is just slightly adjusting the channels between the soundtrack and dialogue without affecting the "original" soundtrack and I can only assume that is done with some form of compression. Also, if you are watching a streaming service connected through the Pre-Pro/AVR by pressing the On-screen menu and scanning down to the "information" button, it will display onscreen the audio/video information coming from the source.

A point of interest, for those that have a "Premium" Netflix account with an HDR/Dolby Vision compatible video device, if you already have or looking to buy a new 4K BR player, the Panasonic UB820/9000 models, regardless of the original video content and how it is transmitted(SDR/HDR), enables the viewer to watch EVERYTHING through the players Netflix app in Dolby Vision.

Rebulx #440886 01/25/21 01:19 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
I can't afford to buy discs like all you affluent folks. I blew my life savings on speakers, amps and subs so I can listen to my 8-track tapes in hi-fi.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Rebulx #440888 01/25/21 01:40 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
It seems like a streaming future is unavoidable, but I'll support physical media as long as it's there. That being said, some of the best visuals I've seen have been via streaming, but it's device-dependent. I don't know what's different in the video hardware, but I've been impressed by the Apple TV 4K's output. Tiny World, a nature series on Apple TV+'s service, and The Mandalorian on Disney+ are two standouts that blew me away with how good they look, and the audio on The Mandalorian did it for me, too. But I tried watching the same content through apps on my Xbox Series X, and the picture wasn't as nice. Some of it might just be the Xbox apps not being up to par. Netflix content also looked worse on the Xbox Series X at first, but it seems like it has been improved since then. But I end up watching all streaming content besides Netflix on the Apple TV 4K since it looks as good or better than any other device I've owned, from the crispness of each app's interface to actual playing content. I don't like supporting Apple, but they did something right with this unit.

As far as streaming live performances, if you have HBO Max, I periodically go back to Mon Laferte's performance in their A Tiny Audience series. It's short and sweet and gives me goosebumps every time.

CV #440889 01/25/21 04:24 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by CV
It seems like a streaming future is unavoidable, but I'll support physical media as long as it's there. That being said, some of the best visuals I've seen have been via streaming, but it's device-dependent. I don't know what's different in the video hardware, but I've been impressed by the Apple TV 4K's output. Tiny World, a nature series on Apple TV+'s service, and The Mandalorian on Disney+ are two standouts that blew me away with how good they look, and the audio on The Mandalorian did it for me, too. But I tried watching the same content through apps on my Xbox Series X, and the picture wasn't as nice. Some of it might just be the Xbox apps not being up to par. Netflix content also looked worse on the Xbox Series X at first, but it seems like it has been improved since then. But I end up watching all streaming content besides Netflix on the Apple TV 4K since it looks as good or better than any other device I've owned, from the crispness of each app's interface to actual playing content. I don't like supporting Apple, but they did something right with this unit.

As far as streaming live performances, if you have HBO Max, I periodically go back to Mon Laferte's performance in their A Tiny Audience series. It's short and sweet and gives me goosebumps every time.

I've been meaning to watch "Tiny World" will now for sure. The convenience of streaming is hard to beat. But no doubt the disc is better.

casey01 #440890 01/25/21 04:29 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by casey01
Incidentally, I also own the Yamaha CX-A 5200 Pre-Pro... Also, if you are watching a streaming service connected through the Pre-Pro/AVR by pressing the On-screen menu and scanning down to the "information" button, it will display onscreen the audio/video information coming from the source.

Thanks for that, that was a good tid bit and will have to try to see which streaming services provide good audio.

Rebulx #440969 01/31/21 08:24 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
Rebulx,
I see you enjoyed David Gilmour "Live at Pompeii". Me too, one of my favorites.
With that in mind I'll suggest you check out the 1972 Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" Directors Cut and also the
Pink Floyd concert "PULSE". Video wise not as good as I'd like but the audio is quite good.

My next selections would be-
Joe Bonamassa "Live at the Greek Theatre"
Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's"
Not real big on this next artist, he's sort of a douche but this concert isn't terrible-
John Mayer "Live in Los Angles"

I have more.

enjoy,
Jeff

Jeff_in_the_D #440978 02/01/21 04:12 AM
Rebulx Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_the_D
Rebulx,
I see you enjoyed David Gilmour "Live at Pompeii". Me too, one of my favorites.
With that in mind I'll suggest you check out the 1972 Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" Directors Cut and also the
Pink Floyd concert "PULSE". Video wise not as good as I'd like but the audio is quite good.

My next selections would be-
Joe Bonamassa "Live at the Greek Theatre"
Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's"
Not real big on this next artist, he's sort of a douche but this concert isn't terrible-
John Mayer "Live in Los Angles"

I have more.

enjoy,
Jeff

I've got those however, is PULSE the same as David Gilmour's live a Pompeii? or similar to Royal Alberts Hall?

Rebulx #440989 02/01/21 02:22 PM
J
devotee
devotee
J
The “PULSE” concert is from the group Pink Floyd, minus Rodger Waters who had previously quit the band. So yes, David Gilmore and Nick Mason and Richard Wright (all original members) are present with numerous additional musicians and singers.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters