Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: OLED vs QLED??
Stereoguy99 #441030 02/02/21 11:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My screen is 21" off the back wall.
Take into account the size of the M60s, their displacement off the wall of about 6" and wanting the screen to be inline with the speaker fronts....

I suppose i could push the screen right back but the look in the room would be very different and i'm not sure what would be gained by doing so. i would also have to tinker with the speaker distance settings to sync the sound with the picture.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Stereoguy99 #441032 02/02/21 11:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And just going back a bit in this thread, OLED is far superior to the Sony XBR LED we have on the main floor. I've seen QLED and i didn't find it any different than the Sony. All three have great colours. Definitely the blacks and richness go to the OLED but the biggest difference is no off axis contrast change with OLED.

So far watching anything in 4k is so amazing that I feel i can't go back to 1080 "HD", but there is little content unless you are running Netflix or something similar (we have a satellite PVR receiver and recently bought a Roku stick so was looking at 4k content via Youtube).
Colour tweaking is just nuts. Out of the box i thought it looked really good until i started nitpicking. Researching online brought 'some' results but i didn't like the recommendations by some.
Someone will have to explain to me why most suggest to change the tv colour temp to "Warm" of some kind such that everything that should be white turns a slight off white beige instead. I just don't get it. That is not 'accurate' colour at all.

chesseroo #441083 02/05/21 03:53 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I didn't check but what brand did you buy? Generally the standard is if you don't want to go through the expense of calibration, usually a "Cinema Mode" or "Expert mode" (each brand describes it a little differently)out of the box will usually provide you with the color accuracy that is closest to the creators content which is D65 white and will be in the warm setting. Some people initially don't like the look of these Cinema/D65 settings because they may look a little yellow or pink, however, it does closest represent the standard. It just takes a little getting used to. All the other modes, depending how the brand describes them like Vivid or Standard, Sports, etc, are way off the mark and although nice and bright and jumping out at you, are just not accurate, especially when watching movies on a 4K BR player. They are generally just blown out with too much blue.

In the end, it is your preference, however, if one has spent a chunk of change on an OLED sometimes calibration could be a good idea since the stuff you get on Youtube often is wrong and every panel on any television regardless of type, is different anyway and the settings you see there when tried on your set just don't turn out the same. Also, if the YouTuber is legitimate, they will tell you that their settings only apply to their monitor and to not necessarily expect the same results with yours. When all is said and done, when you find the settings you like but, still find the "whites' a little too pink or beige, let me know, since I learned a little trick how to deal with that from a pro calibrator without affecting the rest of the picture quality.

Last edited by casey01; 02/05/21 04:01 PM.
Stereoguy99 #441098 02/06/21 12:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The new Tv is a LG CX 77" OLED.
I'm using the "user for dark rooms" setting. It was defaulted to another "AVS" or something like that right out of the box. On that setting the greens were neon nuclear and whites super bright (both contrast and OLED light values were set to 100!). Yes kind of looks like it really pops, but it's not accurate.
I use the 'dark rooms' setting but changed the option from Warm 2 to Warm 1 for colour temp. As a person who watches hockey, ice should never be 'slightly beige'.
That's just heresy.

I'll need to get myself a whole new dvd for tweaking colours and such. I have contemplated buying into the equipment and doing home calibration but then again, i'm getting a bit less extreme with age. I think i'll just tweak by eye to what makes sense but would still like to have an accurate reference to do that since any given youtube or other video may be modified by the director to look extra bright or whatever and hence would throw off an eyeball attempt at tweaking the settings.

Incidentally, any HDR content goes into yet another colour mode which in itself also needs to be tweaked.
[sigh]

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/06/21 12:54 AM.

chesseroo #441102 02/06/21 01:19 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I'll need to get myself a whole new dvd for tweaking colours and such. I have contemplated buying into the equipment and doing home calibration but then again, i'm getting a bit less extreme with age. I think i'll just tweak by eye to what makes sense but would still like to have an accurate reference to do that since any given youtube or other video may be modified by the director to look extra bright or whatever and hence would throw off an eyeball attempt at tweaking the settings.

Not that I've ever really gone down the rabbit hole, but I feel you on the not wanting to get too extreme. I didn't like how my C9 OLED looked out of the box, but I searched for some settings online, and even if it's not an actual calibration, I'm really happy with the picture, so I haven't fiddled with it since. If I ever get a projector, I'll probably put more effort into realizing its full potential.

Stereoguy99 #441130 02/06/21 06:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not sure if posting my setup will help but below is how I setup my LG OLED

First this page has some of the Picture settings definitions
https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-...-or-4k-oled-tv-CT10000018-20150577528034
Skip the video and goto the “Definitions” tab below it. It will give you instruction on setting a lot of these settings

My Goal is to get color accurate setup
I have a colormunki calibrator for my computer but have not spent the time to figure out if and how to use it with the LG … basically needed to tune the picture for panel variations.

My environment is a Dark Room with fairly dark walls
these settings are for SDR. I believe HDR and Dolby vision content automatically adjust things when detected. If you are playing HDR off of disk make sure you enable “Ultra HD Deep Color” for that input. If your playing it though and AVR then you might also have to enable a similar parameter in it as well.

Also, if you want more control over HDR you can try setting up your own parameters under the Picture Mode:HDR Effect. Same with Dolby Vision … try picture mode: Cinema. Note to use these you would need to manual switch modes for content type.

On remote click gear (setup): click “all settings” (vertical “…”), click “Picture” …

Picture:
  • Picture Mode: Expert (Dark Room)
    • OLED Light: 77 (your choice here as it’s environment dependent)
    • Contrast: 85
    • Brightness: 50
    • Sharpness: 10
    • Color: 50
    • Tint: 0
    • Advanced Controls
      • Dynamic Contrast: off
      • Super Resolution: off
      • Color Gamut: Auto (choose according to content)
      • Gamma: 2.2
      • WhiteBalance: Color Temperature: Warm 2
  • Energy Savings: off (I hate doing this but anything else mucks with my settings)
  • Additional Settings
    - Eye Comfort Mode: off

This results in a somewhat dark picture and I may try playing a bit more to brighting it up (OLED Light, Contrast, and Brightness). The goal being to brighten but not loose detail in shadows or highlights while retaining a true black.

Have fun, Rich

casey01 #441137 02/06/21 08:52 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
There is a guy on Youtube called "Ninjician" who is quite apt at calibration and information that is actually very informative and accurate and he has a C9 in which he measured it in "Expert Dark Mode" right out of the box with Calman software and it actually turned out to be almost dead on the money with the the standard and hardly any tweaking required at all. Expert Bright and Cinema should be close as well. Of course, once again, every panel could be a little different, hence, in your case, it may not be exactly to your liking.

Now if you are experiencing a slight beige color in the whites that means there is a little too much red at the top end which seems to be not uncommon with Oleds. You might want to try this, leave your setting on Warm 2, however, go into your Advanced Control and turn all your Color Gamut settings to "Auto" then go into the 2 point White balance settings and on the High setting only, leaving the Red at 0, adjust your Green level up by 5 and Blue by 6. These changes can be made with the Cinema and Expert Dark Mode as well. You might have to tweak this a little, however, what is happening here is you are altering the White Point on the monitor which should eliminate that beige tinge you are viewing without the other settings down the spectrum being altered. You could adjust your Peak Brightness level as well. Apparently these settings actually come from the chief guru at Calman because this minor change best matches the Sony reference OLED and the whites of a proper calibrated Plasma.

If you wish, try it out and see what happens.

Stereoguy99 #441139 02/06/21 09:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's interesting to note. I have read that some people/reviewers won't put out their calibrations because they can be different for each set, but most should be close. I read that the Expert Dark Mode was close to perfect ouf of the box but yes, way too beige for me. Otherwise i think most of my settings are pretty similar to what Rich posted. I'll check again tonight and see what i've got everything set at. The one difference as mentioned is i use the Warm 1 instead of the Warm2 setting.

chesseroo #441141 02/06/21 10:43 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I have learned LG OLED's suffer from a consistent problem with their white point which is called "mesmaritism" an issue that despite being overall color accurate, has an issue with the brightest white being slightly pink or beige which is a slight overabundance of red at the brightest points in the picture. The expert and cinema modes actually come out of the factory based on a D65 white point which is technically accurate but, for some reason no one really knows, creates the above problem. Of course, most casual viewers wouldn't notice this anyway.

Sony OLEDs, out of the box tend to be somewhat more color accurate however, their white points are a little more towards the blue/green hence the recommendation I made above that bumping up the green and blue levels at the high point of a two point white balance calibration deals with that problem but in the Warm 2 position because making these adjustments in Warm 1 would ultimately make the picture lean too much towards blue.

Last edited by casey01; 02/06/21 10:51 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup