Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What gauge speaker wire do I need?
#44172 05/03/04 03:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, you may mock tube amps, but I voted with my wallet. My favorite system is driven by a 5 wpc tube amp. Some folks who've heard it have trusted their ears and have also bought a tube amp. If you don't like them, that's fine, but why do you feel the need to mock people who disagree with you? Do you think people hold opinions contrary to your own only to vex you or call attention to themselves? That's interesting. So, you post here not because you've found a bunch of folk who agree with you, but rather, "because I agree with popular opinion here?" So, you find comfort in holding an opinion consistent with the "popular opinion," on this site? No wonder you react so poorly to opinions which differ from what you perceive as the "popular opinion" held by many folk on this site.

I enjoy music, that's why I bought a tube amp, not to be different or "exotic." If you don't like them, that's your right, but I'll trust my ears, if it's OK with you.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#44173 05/03/04 04:31 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I got turned on to these:

Knukonceptz
Karma 12AWG Speaker Kable
Klear Kable Blue 12 Gauge Speaker Wire

http://knukonceptz.com/

#44174 05/03/04 05:42 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

If you don't like them, that's fine, but why do you feel the need to mock people who disagree with you?

Long story short - Both Alan and I have explained to you about tube distortion, you chose not to accept it. Somehow you've disputed what even tube lovers admit. You chose to attack Alan over this. The warm sound you hear from your tube amp is even-order distortion - that is an undisputable fact.

In reply to:

Do you think people hold opinions contrary to your own only to vex you or call attention to themselves?

No, I believe that people who argue a point they can't possibly prove are either attention seekers or zealots.

In reply to:

So, you find comfort in holding an opinion consistent with the "popular opinion," on this site?

I don't find comfort at all - I respect the opinions of most of the users here and most are consistant with mine, I listen to other points of view when well articulated. As for finding comfort in them? Check my post again, I made no such mention of comfort. Anyone who's ridden a 650cc single cylinder on the highway for hours on end probably isn't too big on the comforts of life.

In reply to:

No wonder you react so poorly to opinions which differ from what you perceive as the "popular opinion" held by many folk on this site.

I react and respond to messages that mislead - whether I react poorly is debatable, people come here to learn, they've already seen Noel Lee's advertisements for his cables, they play right into the society of fear that somehow your investment in loudspeakers won't sound quite as good without them... I and others here make sure that these people get to know the other side, the side universally accepted by nearly everyone that doesn't make money on cable sales or hasn't plunked down hard earned money on said cables and would be made to look the fool if the Emperor really was naked.

Enjoy your music... through your tube amp with its inherent distortion - it's great sounding distortion, that's why guitarists use tube overdrives and tube heads.

Enjoy your cables... I'm sure they look great, fit well under your carpet, whatever reason you own them.

But I'll continue to keep people from being mislead by the boutique wire companies and the snake oil salesmen.

Bren R.

Puhleeeze.
#44175 05/03/04 06:23 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

but why do you feel the need to mock people who disagree with you?

"Hi kettle, this is pot. You're black."

#44176 05/03/04 06:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bren, I never attacked Alan. I just suggested he listen to the Ah! before he put it down.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think you're a bit off track when you describe tube amps as suffering from "even ordered distortion." Tubes enjoy even ordered harmonics. If you think nature prefers odd ordered harmonics over even, well, that's just odd.

I post my opinions based on my experience. I'm not looking to mislead anyone, or to lead them either. However, unlike you, I do not claim to know it all, but I do trust my ears.

#44177 05/03/04 06:41 AM
shareholder in the making
You have an excellent memory.

"Not to put too fine a point on the matter Alan, but are you sure you know what you're talking about? "
This to someone who has been working in the field of audio for many, many years.

"But hey, you guys are the experts. My ears must not be sensitive enough to hear the hum or the tubes degrading and silly me, what I thought sounded terrific was really just "a rich wash of harmonic distortion" and noise.

Must be the Axioms which make that poor thing sound as good as it do"

Looks like an attack to me. But hey, I'm clearly deaf and stupid (and a know it all!), so what do I know?

Enjoy using that last line in your reply to me.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#44178 05/03/04 06:51 AM
To drag this back on topic, have a look at this article. Interesting reading. I doubt that it sounds any better than 12 gauge, but it is pretty cool. Here's a link where you can buy the stuff.

#44179 05/03/04 07:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
KC wrote:

In reply to:

"Not to put too fine a point on the matter Alan, but are you sure you know what you're talking about? "
This to someone who has been working in the field of audio for many, many years.

"But hey, you guys are the experts. My ears must not be sensitive enough to hear the hum or the tubes degrading and silly me, what I thought sounded terrific was really just "a rich wash of harmonic distortion" and noise.

Must be the Axioms which make that poor thing sound as good as it do"

Looks like an attack to me. But hey, I'm clearly deaf and stupid (and a know it all!), so what do I know?

Enjoy using that last line in your reply to me.

Yes, you're quite right! Saying that tube amps hum and generate a "rich wash of harmonic distortion" is a pretty harsh and inaccurate characterization of modern tube amps and high end CD players with tube output sections. Passing such a harsh judgment on the AH! CDP without ever listening to one was also pretty presumptious. I thought I dealt with that unfair "attack" on tube components with substantial restraint though with a bit of irony.

Oh, you think my response was an attack?

Please, KC, you don't really think that my suggestion that Alan should maybe listen to the component before making such negative comments about it is an "attack," do you? Just sounds reasonable and fair to me.

#44180 05/03/04 01:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Getting the thread back on line...I have a question...

The article that Peter linked to includes a chart that talks about a 50 foot run for 16 gauge speakers wire. Does this mean that the wire run should only be 25 feet out to a speaker, and than 25 feet back to equal 50 feet? Or, can the run be 50 feet out and 50 feet back?

Also, does anyone have an opinion about "flat" cable that can be run under carpets opposed to regualr round cable?

#44181 05/03/04 02:42 PM
That would, I believe be 50 ft out and 50 ft back.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup