Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Re: Dedicated Line for Amp?
Mojo #442884 07/20/21 05:37 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted by Mojo
They have an entire product line of different colors. Owners claim the blue sounds best. laugh
Obviously not true audiophiles ... Everyone knows that blue .... smile

Cork #442886 07/20/21 07:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I got 6 of those famulated amulets. Hghly recommended.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Cork #442890 07/21/21 07:55 AM
C
Cork Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
C
High-end audio outlets ... I wouldn't have believed it. I used to have a link for ungodly expensive speaker wire elevators (ceramic stands to keep your wire off of the floor) that I used for posts because I found them hilarious; but sockets might be even better.

So the recommended approach is to do nothing unless there's a known problem. Doing nothing happens to fall into my wheelhouse, so I'm all set. (I did add a surge protector.) Thanks for the advice and the laugh!

Cork #442892 07/21/21 04:46 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
The only real reason to run a dedicated circuit for the audio system all the way back to the panel - is to ensure the neutral is not shared with another circuit. Sometimes you will get some noise on a shared neutral.

Modern wiring (and also per last few NEC revs) requires ground fault protection on the majority of residential circuits at the breaker. And that requires home ran neutral wires. The previous practice of wiring a house would use 12/3 romax that would have two line wires, and one neutral. Now it's pretty much all 12/2.

Sooooo, depending on what circuit the electrician tired into, the load on that circuit, size of wire, length of run, shared or not shared neutral - you may have just pissed away some money for nothing gained.

Special receptacles that sound better???? Hogwash.

michael_d #442895 07/21/21 10:23 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Originally Posted by michael_d
The only real reason to run a dedicated circuit for the audio system all the way back to the panel - is to ensure the neutral is not shared with another circuit. Sometimes you will get some noise on a shared neutral.
I think your limiting your thinking on why you might need to run another line .. I stated two more above.

A fourth could be that your system constantly trips an arc fault breaker and you need to go back to the panels and to use a ground fault instead. Arc faults look for signatures of arcing. Some devices (like inverter circuits) can trip them because the signature looks similar. Note: a ground fault on the other hand detects a difference in current going out the line and coming back on the neutral. If not the same it must be going somewhere else ... like though you body.

Originally Posted by michael_d
Modern wiring (and also per last few NEC revs) requires ground fault protection on the majority of residential circuits at the breaker. And that requires home ran neutral wires. The previous practice of wiring a house would use 12/3 romax that would have two line wires, and one neutral. Now it's pretty much all 12/2.
Also think you swapped 12/2 and 12/3 (note: wire size (AWG) over the number of wires excluding ground ... I'll just call it X/2 or X/3). For leads coming from the panel (residential panel usually only has two phases) the extra wire is used for the 2nd phase to give you 220V... at least in the states.

Up to recently one could run 220V with only X/2 by using the neutral for the 2nd phase. But there was or there's going to be a code change to require X/3 for two phases. I'm not sure why but may have to do with arc fault breakers. Be interested in the answer if you know it ... Anyway I think this may be what you're referring to.

Most audio equipment runs on a single phase needing only X/2 wiring. This has not changed.

Ok that was long winded ... but I should put in a disclaimer ...
The above is my understanding and since I'm not an electrician, I do not keep up with all changes in the code ... So if I stated anything wrong I hope someone, in the know, will correct me

Cork #442896 07/22/21 06:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My place was built in the 70's. I think the dedicated 20 amp line sounds really good. I don't remember what it used to sound like. The dedicated line was less expensive than any of my power cables.

One of the best sounding systems I ever had (because it was in an acoustically magic room) used Acme silver cryo treated outlets. The cost, $60. How much did they contribute to the sound quality? No idea. But, I've been using them ever since.

Yes, perhaps, theoretically, expecting a receptacle to improve sound quality is "hogwash," but, if your system is sufficiently resolving to detect small differences in sound quality, maybe, Michael d, you should give it a go. I mean, what the heck.

As I sit here, listening to my M80v2s, in the soft red glow of my Soviet 6c33c tubes, dedicated 20 amp line, cryo treated outlets, power conditioners and cables doing their thing, well, it all sure sounds pretty darn good.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 07/22/21 06:14 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Cork #442897 07/22/21 08:08 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
I doubt your cryo treated outlet does much more than any other outlet. Usually I’d argue that as long as reasonably clean power is being delivered that how it got there makes no difference. It’s the power supplies job in each device to take in that power (even if noisy) and present it clean in what ever format it’s circuits require. Good supplies do this well. Bad ones … not so much. But I’d like to take a different approach and think about this from a slightly different direction …

The outlet is one connection in a chain of many that power goes through to get to your equipment. That that one connection is the one you need to invest in over any of the others (including the connections after it) is ahhh interesting. Many of the others are just wires held on by screws.

Cork #442898 07/22/21 09:01 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
They are Hubbell spec grade receptacles or at least clones (doubt it). Our price is $5.30ea. But we buy lots of em.

Might be a little more if you buy over the counter. Maybe $7.

They are indeed good receptacles with higher clamping force than residential grade. Hospital grade has even higher clamping force. You gotta mean it when you “pull the plug….”

Losses are always higher at terminations. Heat. If you want all the benefit without changing your receptacle, treat prongs on cords with Anti Ox sparingly.

This is in my kit for audio installs and terminating cables. Especially outdoors. Works on line voltage just as well. One ounce tube lasts long time on small conductors. Dont need much.

https://www.amazon.ca/Gardner-Bende...und/dp/B000BOCBCA/ref=asc_df_B000BOCBCA/

Cork #442899 07/22/21 02:00 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
12/2 is code in the states. Don't run an arc fault breaker or outlet unless it's a bedroom. They have a tendency to trip. Ground fault is overkill unless you just want the extra protection. Arc faults have to be on bedroom outlets now and ground faults in the bathroom and anything above the counter in the kitchen in addition to outdoor outlets. Commercial grade outlets are more than enough for audio outlets. We did not use any residential outlets in our home build. Bulk buying is the cheapest route if you need several. We wired the HT on dedicated circuits but probably not necessary with the new building codes. Also, in the states we were required to use tamper proof outlets with the new codes.

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard