Cone separating. DIY solution?
#443011 08/01/21 09:54 PM
S
snazzed Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
S
Hi all. It's been a looooong time since I visited the Axiom Forums, but I'm here for help...

I have a QS8 v2 and the dust cap has separated from the cone. Whenever any sort of volume goes through it, it makes a buzzy vibration sound. Should I remove the dust cover? Can I just hot-glue this back down? How would I go about it?

DIY solutions very much appreciated. Axiom has made me an Audio snob, I don't know if I can go back to 2.1, and life says I can't afford new, good speakers right now!

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0AMrVnD_I6W15e1bLzDEoUU2g[/img]

[img]https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cDE7gfXNR0jLU6ZXe-3gPPlQ[/img]

M22, VP150, QS8 <--all v2
Sub: Outlaw LFM1-Plus
Denon AVR1910, Sony X900-65"
Re: Cone separating. DIY solution?
snazzed #443012 08/01/21 11:13 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
You can find instructions on-line. I've linked one article for you. Replacing or repairing a dustcap for an aluminum driver is easier than a paper driver. I replaced a Bose dustcap on its paper driver and used Gorilla Glue. It took me quite a while and it was delicate work.

The v4 speakers have aluminum dustcaps unlike earlier versions. They won't rip, dent or deform. They also act as heat sinks for the voice coil which gets very hot. This allows the drivers to operate more linearly.

You may want to trade them in for v4. BTW, I had QS8v2 and upgraded to QS10v4. There is a world of difference between the two models as my review below describes. I have never heard anything bad about the QS10.

https://www.speakerrepairshop.nl/en/instructions/fit-a-new-dust-cap/c-38

--- review ---

This is a review of the QS10HP in a 5.1 system. I am in a 4,200 cu. ft. room, sitting 12 feet away from the QS10s that are acting as side surrounds. They are mounted a foot forward of my MLP, 16" from the 7'2" gyproc ceiling, on their wall-mount brackets right on my walls. I traded in my QS8v2 that I had for almost 12 years for the QS10s. They are crossed over at 40Hz on my Onk (exactly where the Onk found them). I don't have rears as I've found they aren't useful particularly since the QS10s give me rear sound (more on that in a bit).

The QS10s have made a big difference to my concert and movie enjoyment when compared to the QS8s. The highs in the QS8s would break up during concerts and I always felt the sound was tiny and I was missing something. As I found out when I installed the QS10, I was missing out on a lot! I've been tossing around upgrading my receiver to ATMOS but the QS10s have convinced me there's no point. I'll give you an example. While watching Black Summer, we are constantly hearing sounds behind us to the left, right and immediately behind our heads. I should point out I have 5 feet of space to the back wall so the QS8s are doing a nice job of reflecting. Where called for in the scenes, we are also hearing very realistic effects above. No doubt the HP drivers and the mid-woofers which reflect off my ceiling, are creating this effect.
There are many examples of these kinds of effects but the most poignant one caused my gal pal to duck, cover and scream. That was in episode 2 when the deadite was on top of the van pounding on the roof. We really felt like we were in the van with the deadite right above us.

I've already described in my Axiom board posts just how much more I can hear with the QS10 vs QS8. The QS8 really were not appropriate for my room. This ability to do "pseudo ATMOS" is yet another secret Axiom is keeping to themselves. I love the QS10 sound so much, if Axiom was to offer this surround in a triple high power woofer version, I would surely upgrade to it. I haven't looked at the twin cross-over boards inside but I did zoom in on a photo Ian posted and I really liked what I saw. BTW, you get these in a nicely packaged box that looks like a crate, with all the hardware you need and wrapped in a velvet bag (which I'll say again I don't care for; plastic is just fine for me). The manufacturing quality is top notch. I keep them naked because I like to look at the drivers.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Re: Cone separating. DIY solution?
Mojo #443013 08/02/21 12:22 AM
S
snazzed Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
S
Thanks Mojo, appreciated. I'll look into the New Dust Cap thing.

But when someone says, "DIY solutions welcome. I can't afford new speakers," please don't recommend new speakers. Even Trade-Ins.

I recently separated from my (now ex) wife. I have support payments to make, I live in one of the most expensive Rental Markets in Canada and I no longer have a full time job. I'm living in a deficit off my portion of the Equity from the house. If you want to send me $2,000 a month for the next six months or so while I get back on my feet, I'll gladly consider replacing my Surrounds.

Last edited by snazzed; 08/02/21 12:23 AM.

M22, VP150, QS8 <--all v2
Sub: Outlaw LFM1-Plus
Denon AVR1910, Sony X900-65"

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,353 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup