Dish PVR v. TiVo v. Antenna
#44317 05/03/04 04:45 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Dear Friends,

I need your thought to help clarify my TV strategy.

We currently have Comcast analog cable. I can get digital cable, but not the "on-demand" feature nor any DVR through Comcast.

We watch very damn little TV anyway, especially since we got Netflix. I'm not sure that I would miss it if we collapsed to OTA network, and perhaps upped the Netflix subscription to the 5-at-a-time plan instead of the 3.

I tried using a couple of different Terk indoor antennas (including the TV-55) and got unacceptable results.

I do not, at this time, have a HDTV-ready TV. It is not "next" on the HT investment path.

I recently moved the home theatre TV to a different room where there is no cable whatsoever. We haven't really missed it...yet. We're JUST watching DVD's and listening to music in that room at the moment.

I am considering the following options:

1. Rooftop antenna. I might have to fight with the homeowners association. I would get a HDTV-compatible antenna, somewhat future-proofing the investment. Would flush the cable and consequently recoup the capital investment eventually. Where does one find an expert to do such work nowadays anyway? Because I am NOT mounting a ten-foot-long aluminum thing 25 feet in the air. My kids need me.

2. Extend the cable to the other room, either myself or by giving more money to those "people" at Comcast. Status quo. Not "satisfying".

3. Dish Network PVR system. Looks virtually free to install, would get PVR features. About the same ongoing cost and programming of our current cable setup. I'd need to extend the phone system somewhat.

4. DirecTivo. A little upfront cost. More programming. More features. Probably still have the phone system problem. This is spending MORE money on TV, not less.

If I ditch Comcast now, by the time they DO offer enhanced features, I'd be a "new customer" and might get something out of the deal.

Does anybody have the Dish Network PVR? Is it of comparable quality and usability to the DirecTivo brand?

I know there are those that evangelize TiVo. I've heard you. I just don't know if I will have time to take advantage of it, or whether it will provide good "value" for me.

Your thoughts and cousel are eagerly sought. TIA.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: Dish PVR v. TiVo v. Antenna
#44318 05/03/04 05:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Tom,

I do not know much about the Dish DVR, but I can tell you a little bit about my feeling with the DirecTV DVR.

I have been a TiVo user now for almost 4 years, DirecTiVo for almost 2 of those 4.. I hardly watch any live TV anymore, and because if that fact, I watch less TV.

The two tuners in the DirecTiVo unit is a great feature, on the rare occasion that two shows that I want to see are on at the same time....I don't miss it....or for that matter, when a show that I want to watch is on when a show the kids want to watch.

I can not imagine having TV without it now. When I go to hi-def...the HDDirecTiVo will be a must.

#44319 05/03/04 05:58 PM
buff
buff
Tom

We've had the Dish PVR for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. We apparently watch more TV then you do. So this is a godsend. The good thing about Dish PVR vs DirecTV w/Tivo is that Dish does not charge a $5 per month usage fee for the PVR (there's probably a hidden charge in there somewhere). My wife actually uses the PVR more than I (I just watch) so I'm not sure of all the features, but I believe we can watch a program that has been PVR'd while recording another. If you're really interested, let me know and I'll ask the expert when I get home later. Oh, and for HDTV I bought an odd looking set top antenna to hook into my integrated Mitsubishi. I get all the major networks except WB (only one show I watch on that anyway).

Phil

#44320 05/03/04 07:59 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Isn't it possible to buy the lifetime subscription for the DirectTiVos like the standalones? I wouldn't pay the monthly fee, either, but $250 for a lifetime ain't bad. (As long as you've got it more than, what, 2 years, you're set). I think I only paid $200 for my standalone lifetime subscription.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#44321 05/03/04 08:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nope...DirecTiVo does not have the lifetime option.

If you get the top tiered DirecTV service/subscription, there is no fee for the DirecTiVo.

The marketing claim is they are charging you for the extra tuner in the box...not so much the service.

#44322 05/03/04 08:50 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
The standalone Tivo monthly charge is, I believe, now about $11.95-12.95. The DirecTivo monthly charge is $4.95. 3-4 years is too long in tech terms to make up the up front cost for me to feel confident about it.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#44323 05/03/04 11:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Count me as another DirecTivo evangelist. Have been for 3 years. Waiting till end of month sales (Memorial Day) for sale on HD DirecTivo. Was a Netflix evangelist as well, but w/ DirecTivo, I taped all the movies I wanted and no longer needed Netflix. Tivo doesn't make you watch more TV, it makes it more efficient, no more channel flipping or commercials. I watch shows like American Idol in 4 mins, skipping all the crap (though that may include some of the singing...) Also kind of cool to stack up shows like 24 and just watch a 4 hour block at once.

Not sure what your phone comment was regarding. My DirecTivo was not near a phone line so I used one of those RCA RF Modem Jacks and it worked fine.

Varying degrees of reports on the Dish 921 PVR. Haven't used it, but if it works, I'm sure it's somewhat comparable to Tivo.

Really depends on your viewing habits. In the SF Bay Area, most Dish users are so because they get the international packages to watch Indian/Asian TV. DirecTV works fine w/ me. If you only use the TV to watch movies, then you're probably better off w/ Netflix. If you do watch TV, whether you use Comcast Digital, DirecTV, or Dish, all depends on what kind of content you want.

#44324 05/04/04 01:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess everyone here is too much into TV to talk about that antenna on the roof idea. I'd be a bit interested in that one personnally. I just don't watch much TV. Sporting events more then anything, which means I've been stuck with cable since most of the sports are on Comcast Sportsnet here, which means only Cable has the channel. They won't let satellite providers provide it.

Other then that, I could do antenna just fine. I never really considered HD antenna. I guess HD gets broadcast over the air as well, I just never really even thought about it that way since not many people seem to get over the air broadcasts anymore. What do these antennas run and yes, I guess there is the who would install it issue as well. I assume you only get the basic 5 or so network channels this way, but I could live with that. I don't have an HDTV yet anyway, so the HD antenna would just be prep for the future.

#44325 05/04/04 03:42 AM
veteran
veteran
if you stick with your cable, you can pursue a wireless connection to the other setup into the room without cable.

#44326 05/04/04 11:11 AM
devotee
devotee
Give me a week and I'll give you more info, but I will say this. Today is the day I get DISH PVR installed. I'm not much of a tv watcher myself. I generally hate most network television. When you've been without tv for a long time such as myself (a year), when you do watch it you feel like you're being bombarded with commercials! Enter PVR. Now I can skip the parts I hate most about tv, the 5 minutes of commercials after 6 minutes of programming
I've been without tv for a year like I said and I've mostly survived off of music and DVDs (not to mention commentary). Am I the only one to have watched all the special features on both Lord of the Rings EE sets? One advantage. BUT...you can only do that for so long when you just need something in the background that's more...tvish. Good luck on deciding what to get. I'll post again in a week and give you my feedback on the PVR. Oh...and BTW. There IS a $4.95 a month charge for the recorder box for DISH Network.

"We're on the island of Misfit Toys"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020