Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Home Theater layout
#443351 08/30/21 02:09 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The is setup change #1 (the second one will folow tomorrow or Wednesday).

I recently had a significant water infiltration in my appartment's basement (2-3" for about half the surface). Fortunately, I got 0$ dammage as most of my equipment is in slightly higher portions and also always at least 4" from the ground, except the main speakers in my Home theater and the subwoofer. Anyhow, we had to remove the carpet, which caused a lot of disruption (and still causing) and clearing out of rooms as we went along.

The owners are a young couple and I told them that, when that type of situation happens, you need to take it advantage of being forced to do work to do it in a manner that leads to a much better situation. My Home Theater is in a room that has 2 entrances and a "cupboard" used for pipes that is causing layout headaches. When I moved in, my Pallinder furniture had 3 seats. But one (my old central one) was beaten down (too much use) and did not open anymore, likely due to the last move. So, when I got rid of that seat, it finally occured to me that I could swap sides and go from a 18" space to deal with inter-connects to 6'! Quite a diffrence, and I ended up with a cosier seating space.

Anyhow, so I took advance of that to first flip the system left-side-right-side. Then I got enough space on the equipment to move to back projection with all the equipment behind it. So now I have a 100" screen at about 5 feet away from me. I then also put velvet drapes around the screen and on a removeabal bottom piece made out of a piece of wood with feet to allow more sound to pass through more easily. The screen material is a "Wraith" elite screen material, which although not sonically totally transparent is still surprising accurate (after ARC) to be a totally acceptable compromise between an awesome movie theater and music.

The following 2 pictures were taken using wide-angle lens so it is a LOT smaller than it looks. When sitting, you barely see the velvet drapes. it's when playing something that you have so much less light dancing around and distracting the eyes. 3D movies are gorgeous! In the back, all the equipment is either mounted (projector) or on a 3-plateau trolley on wheels so next time there is work to be done, it will take a minute to get everything cleared out. Also, now the projected image is within 1 pixel off. Never had such a perfect projection in all the setups I built over the years. Even the PC I have in that room looks like on a normal screen. Nothing cut, nothing deformed.

Very happy with the result of this water-imposed work!
The table that is now usable in front of the seats used to hold the screen. So another net gain.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I also took the opportunity to use D-Line racetracks to hide cables as much as possible. Later I also wallmounted the power bar.

See Mojo's signature
Re: New Home Theater layout
EFalardeau #443358 08/30/21 08:09 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
"See Mojo's signature"

laugh Good one, Eric. I like this set-up much better.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
EFalardeau #443363 08/30/21 08:44 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
100” at 5’ seating distance.

rrlev, I guess you have a free pass now! Lol. Crazy.

EFalardeau #443369 08/30/21 10:03 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
100" at 5' is slightly too small for 2:35/2.40 movies but "almost too big" for widesreen or 16:9. So, pretty cool! smile

Yeah, Mojo, this is pretty much the sweetest setup I ever built for HT. Too bad I am renting otherwise the ceilling and the walls would be painted midnight drama (2/3 black, 1/3 read), which is less creepy than pure black, while being essentially matted black.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #443375 08/31/21 12:23 AM
M
M
You punched holes in the walls for the speakers so what's a little paint? Go for it and if the cranky landlords hassle you, tell them I gave you permission.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
aaaaaaaaaaaaa #443633 09/27/21 03:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by TrevorM

At 0.69 (screen-width/distance-to-screen), EF knows how to get into his movies

If I remember correctly, when I was testing out how close was too close
I came up with somewhere around 0.6 with 0.8 to 0.9 being optimum
My wife on the other hand is more a 1,1 to 1.3 kind of girl (which is a more common preference)

rrlev #443661 10/01/21 01:00 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by TrevorM

At 0.69 (screen-width/distance-to-screen), EF knows how to get into his movies

If I remember correctly, when I was testing out how close was too close
I came up with somewhere around 0.6 with 0.8 to 0.9 being optimum
My wife on the other hand is more a 1,1 to 1.3 kind of girl (which is a more common preference)

the closer you get, you need that higher resolution 4k content
it will probably be some time yet before i can regularly enjoy 4k on the new LG 77" given how little daily content exists out there

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #443664 10/01/21 01:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted by chesseroo
the closer you get, you need that higher resolution 4k content
it will probably be some time yet before i can regularly enjoy 4k on the new LG 77" given how little daily content exists out there

I actually had to get something like 4 feet to the 77" before I started to see the compression/upsampling artifact off of Netflix (or maybe it was a DVD). Using a 4k blue-ray I think I started to notice the artifact just a bit before I started seeing the pixels at about 2'(?). BTW my eyesight is less then great so ... your mileage my vary.

In any case ... for me, the compression/upsampling artifacts is more noticeable and annoying than the pixels.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044