Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Blind testing between active and non LFR1100??
MMM #443412 09/03/21 12:31 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I was able to get the m100s to disappear but I have a feeling once the room is built out with drywall they are going to appear again. I feel like I would still gain quite a bit going to the LFRs and driving them with the 1500 should produce clean sound. Hopefully the black friday sale comes back next month and I can go ahead and get them ordered. With the 30 day trial I can set them up side by side with the 100s and see how much improvement there is.

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
1 member likes this: Kodiak
MMM #443413 09/03/21 01:45 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
In the meantime, pick up a set of M2 bookshelves and set them up so the tweeter is 6" below your ears. Then tell us how well those disappear relative to the M100s. smile

If you don't have stands, set them up on the shipping boxes and soup cans.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
MMM #443416 09/03/21 03:18 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I can do that then turn them into rear surrounds for 7.2.6

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
MMM #443421 09/03/21 05:13 PM
M
M
Canes, you are going to LOVE them! Walnut in natural, caramel, espresso or cherry chestnut...yum...so good! There's nothing wrong with different flavors scattered throughout.

House of the Rising Sone
MMM #443423 09/04/21 12:45 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
The M100 is an incredible speaker in the range of sounds that it can produce. This is a testament to the work that Ian and Andrew are doing.

My comment is that I would guess that the LFR1100 was in extension of the M100, sort of like the LFR880 is based off the M80 speaker set. I have not ripped open any of my speakers to take a deeper look at the internet structure of the speaker to do a side by side comparison, but I would dare to say that the internals of the LFR1100 and the M100 would be pretty close in the major structures inside

The LFR by my experience takes the sound quality of the M100 and smooths out any of the edges and then wraps the sound around you so as Ian has said to me many times, opens up the sweet spot for the best listening position and makes it more the whole room.

Mojo. when you listen to your M2 or M5, do you find that the sound envelope (transparent feeling) is more focused to a small sweet spot that if you sit in the right spot you can almost feel the speakers disappear? Move 3-4 feet to the left or right and the effect collapse. Move forward or backwards and you feel as if the speaker comes back into view as to what you are hearing.

The beauty of the LFR is that there is a controlled "echo" or reflection that with the DSP just opens up the listening area so that what you hear feels more all around you and you're not required to sit in the perfect sweet spot to get the best sound. The beauty is that you get what I feel is a better effect than 5.1 recorded music in your source only needs to be stereo and the timing of sound is not as fussy as trying to perfectly tune in a multi speaker setup.

Now to the OP question. I don't own a pair of actives. I cannot say if they are for my level of hearing will do a far better job that the passive set i have now. I have no doubt that they will be better, but by how much I cannot say. For me, the M80 speakers were an incredible improvement over the Energy speakers that I had. They had a night and day improvement over the dynamic range and gave me detail in recordings that I honestly didn't know was even there. The move to LFR didn't really improve the sound.. well maybe a bit, but what it did do is improve the listening area and enjoyment that I could get from the speakers. How do you put a percentage improvement of sound quality to enjoyment? I don't know. I'd say that the M80 were the 96% perfect sound, where the LFR1100 get me to the 99%. I would guess the Actives will push that up to the 99.9%. If i didn't own the passive set then I would have to think hard if the extra cost is worth nirvana. I would be seriously tempted.

Sadly, I have yet to wear Ian down enough to give me the deal Id need to trade in my current set and move up to Active. But who knows what the future will hold.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5
MMM #443426 09/04/21 02:56 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by MatManhasgone
I have not ripped open any of my speakers to take a deeper look at the internet structure of the speaker to do a side by side comparison, but I would dare to say that the internals of the LFR1100 and the M100 would be pretty close in the major structures inside

The LFR by my experience takes the sound quality of the M100 and smooths out any of the edges and then wraps the sound around you so as Ian has said to me many times, opens up the sweet spot for the best listening position and makes it more the whole room.

Mojo. when you listen to your M2 or M5, do you find that the sound envelope (transparent feeling) is more focused to a small sweet spot that if you sit in the right spot you can almost feel the speakers disappear? Move 3-4 feet to the left or right and the effect collapse. Move forward or backwards and you feel as if the speaker comes back into view as to what you are hearing.

I don't own a pair of actives. I cannot say if they are for my level of hearing will do a far better job that the passive set i have now. I have no doubt that they will be better, but by how much I cannot say.

Response to each paragraph selected from your post:

My active 1100 is better braced and contains more stuffing than my M100.

Images are appropriately large, realistically focused and diffuse with an enormous soundstage. Centre speaker during movies and music is detrimental for MLP and one to two seats on either side. The centre image, as all others, is incredibly realistic.

The M2, M3, M5 all disappear and even when I move around, although there is some channel collapse, the disappearance remains. However, the centre image falls apart quite easily. I've found they disappear best when the tweeter is 6" below ear level. There is no loss of fidelity with that set-up.

The actives ought to disappear better than your passives and render a more expansive soundstage with improved image focus and fidelity across the entire band. The bass will be more accurate. The bass is truly something to behold.

House of the Rising Sone
MMM #444365 01/09/22 01:29 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
it has been a while since i have last been on the forum. Ian has done a good number on me. A number that i simply couldn't pass up to move from Analogue Passive to Full bore DSP digital full active LFR1100's

I know that i did say that it would take hell or high water to get me to move, but it seems that looking outside the window at what is going on with pandemics, that hell looks like it's come and there definitely seems to be a flood of who knows what. So better take the plunge into the deep end with the other big boys and get some Active speakers.

as I am trading in my current LFR1100 for the newer Active, i am not going to be able to answer my original question of doing a blind A/B side by side test to see if I can tell the different between the two.

MMM #444368 01/09/22 04:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
MatMan, you can give us a non scientific opinion especially if you take critical notes on various recording with the passives before you send them in.

On what is better I trust Ian … although I’m a bit surprise that this test was not tried yet.
I can say that I’m totally pleased with with my actives. Or should I say the actives driven with 2 ADA1500-5 as I can not separate them.

The Active/ADA1500 is the best system I’ve ever owned. Of this I’m certain.
It maybe the best system I’ve ever heard … but from memory I can’t be certain.
I can only comment that I’m blown away with its clarity, image, and dynamics and can not remember another system which impressed me to this level.

If someone does compare them … they need to use similar amps in the setup as
I can not say how much of my impression is the actives and how much the ADA1500. I can only guess.

2 members like this: aaaaaaaaaaaaa, Kodiak
MMM #444373 01/09/22 10:03 PM
M
M
I had no doubt you'd make the move to actives.

Ian is a very generous man. We are all very fortunate. I thank him multiple times a day and have been known to get extremely sentimental.

I had a 180v4 in here over the holidays. Not even that can match the phantom center from my actives during movies and music at the MLP.

All my Axioms continue to provide me with an unparalleled emotional experience.

House of the Rising Sone
MMM #444374 01/10/22 12:59 AM
M
MMM Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
yes, I trust that Ian and Andrew have made an exceptional speaker and that I will enjoy it.

And if my wife asks... The going story is that the speakers have a channel issue and I am sending them back up to Axiom for them to have a look at them. They don't know if it's a driver issue with the actual speakers or if its the DSP / Amp, so they said to bring the whole lot with me (as I'm a 2 hour drive to them). Now i know she is finish blind and won't notice how the speakers went from Warm Cherry to Walnut. But they are just in for service.. OK... nudge nudge.

Kind of makes me thing of a woodworking saying.. I hope when I die that my wife sells my equipment for what it is worth, not what I told her I paid for it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082