Print Thread
Rate Thread
Andrews Video: Reevaluating Your System: Is it ti
#443635 09/28/21 03:17 AM
rrlev Online Content OP
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
I tend to shy away from posting stuff on social media but thought this might make an interesting thread.

So I’ll start with my answer: it’s a bit of everything

I’ve always been into audio, video, and electronics. Every time I’d hit a mall, see an audio section or pass a store I usually went in to ogle the equipment. One of my first purchases after college was an upper-mid-tier audio system. It was the first time I had enough money to get a system. Don’t really remember what all the component were but I loved it and my focus turned to collecting albums. So,

Reason #1: money ... having enough to get something you want

About a year later, I was kind of depressed about something and passed a Bang & Olson store. I came out with an upgrade for my turntable (See Vinyl is in!)

Reason #2: feel good purchase (how to get rid of the blues … upgrade!!)

Now, I had to get even more albums. After that I was happy till CDs were becoming the media of choice so I bought a top-end CD player.

Reason #3: Tech changes

One speaker I loved was the B&W 802 but it was $$$ and it just not worth it to me. So, I started a hobby which lasted a few years to find a speaker which sounded as good for less than 1/4 the price. My ear for sound improved quite a bit. I was walking into more high-end places and learning a lot about critical listening. My system was starting to feel flat. I ended up with a whole new system keeping the B&O turntable.

Reason #4: Your ear has improved

10 years later I was married and didn’t have room for the old system. The house we moved to just didn’t have a great place for a system. So, I downsized to some reasonably ok speakers and a low-end Denon receiver and stored away the B&O turntable.

Reason $5: life changes

13-14 years after that we started planning a big renovation. I started to see an opportunity to create something I always dreamed of: a top end stereo & home theater. Soon, It became a requirement, it was now or never and It could be rolled into the costs. It took 6 or 7 years, the renovation turned into a complete rebuild, a couple of times it stalled but somehow it actually happened.

Reason $6: dream fulfillment

Now it's your turn ... tell us why your upgrade ...

Re: Andrews Video: Reevaluating Your System: Is it ti
rrlev #443636 09/28/21 04:09 AM
rrlev Online Content OP
connoisseur
OP Online Content
connoisseur
2 more reasons ...

At one point the renovation was a go (price estimate and timing looked good). Then Axiom had a big sale I couldn't pass up and they were willing to hold the speakers till the house was done.

Reason #7: it's on Sale

The builder came back with a finial price that was 2 times his estimate. We dumped him and started designing a total rebuild. In the mean time I couldn't wait, I wanted to hear these speakers (and axiom was having yet another sale)

Reason #8: Because

Ok ... think I'm done ... smile

rrlev #443650 09/29/21 04:19 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice thread idea. I saw that video too. My reason for a upgrade , you guessed it, new house and totally different way larger space then I was previously in. I’ve said it elsewhere but moving here, my modest system sounds totally different now. There’s pro and con for sure but I now realize , by way of losing my old space , was that my system was perfectly sized for that living space and volume and furnishings. It was actually pretty darn good!! The upgrades I was chasing / dreaming of while there ( and never did purchase thankfully ) would have been the wrong thing to do. I now know better being in my new space with the same system. What a great learning moment.

So yeah, a new space equals upgrade.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
rrlev #443658 10/01/21 12:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Happy 50th Andrew!!

Funny how i haven't reached that age just yet but i've already long thought about everything he talked about for the last 10 years.

Last edited by chesseroo; 10/01/21 12:50 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
rrlev #443659 10/01/21 12:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
I tend to shy away from posting stuff on social media but thought this might make an interesting thread.

So I’ll start with my answer: it’s a bit of everything

I’ve always been into audio, video, and electronics. Every time I’d hit a mall, see an audio section or pass a store I usually went in to ogle the equipment. One of my first purchases after college was an upper-mid-tier audio system. It was the first time I had enough money to get a system. Don’t really remember what all the component were but I loved it and my focus turned to collecting albums. So,

Reason #1: money ... having enough to get something you want

About a year later, I was kind of depressed about something and passed a Bang & Olson store. I came out with an upgrade for my turntable (See Vinyl is in!)

Reason #2: feel good purchase (how to get rid of the blues … upgrade!!)

Now, I had to get even more albums. After that I was happy till CDs were becoming the media of choice so I bought a top-end CD player.

Reason #3: Tech changes

One speaker I loved was the B&W 802 but it was $$$ and it just not worth it to me. So, I started a hobby which lasted a few years to find a speaker which sounded as good for less than 1/4 the price. My ear for sound improved quite a bit. I was walking into more high-end places and learning a lot about critical listening. My system was starting to feel flat. I ended up with a whole new system keeping the B&O turntable.

Reason #4: Your ear has improved

10 years later I was married and didn’t have room for the old system. The house we moved to just didn’t have a great place for a system. So, I downsized to some reasonably ok speakers and a low-end Denon receiver and stored away the B&O turntable.

Reason $5: life changes

13-14 years after that we started planning a big renovation. I started to see an opportunity to create something I always dreamed of: a top end stereo & home theater. Soon, It became a requirement, it was now or never and It could be rolled into the costs. It took 6 or 7 years, the renovation turned into a complete rebuild, a couple of times it stalled but somehow it actually happened.

Reason $6: dream fulfillment

Now it's your turn ... tell us why your upgrade ...

Actually every single one of your reasons are all mine as well including #8, just because, to which i shall extend "because" you have to enjoy living life if and when you can!

rrlev #443660 10/01/21 12:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
And on those notes, waiting for the Axiom colour chips to come in this week. If a certain colour type matches sufficiently enough, we might order some LFR for testing in home.
The plan for the main floor and media room took a twist over the year. Not sure yet which plan will be followed but had a great discussion with Ian about it a week ago, trying to sort things out.
Ironically, it was an old pair of speakers designed by Andrew long before his Axiom days that kicked some of it off.

Last edited by chesseroo; 10/01/21 12:58 AM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters