Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Understanding Graphs, roll off and M100 querys
Kodiak #443630 09/26/21 05:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm very interested in trying Dirac and ARC. I've heard great things about both.
I've only used Audyssey and now just skip it and do everything manually.

I may not be giving Audyssey a fair shake, but I find I need to adjust things after I run it. I'm also optimizing for MLP and not all the seats, so before dissing I should test more: listening in the other seats and compare Audyssey to my manual setup. Unfortunately, this takes time and motivation to actually do it.

If and when prepros with over 16 channel come down in price I'd like to upgrade to Dirac (or perhaps ARC).

Your comments are interesting to note as a 1db bump in loudness is supposed to be barely audible (at the threshold most people can detect). I guess it makes sense that subtle changes in frequency response can reflect in shifts in the tonal character of sound as the make up of tone is a ratio of harmonics. So this ratio must be easier to perceive than changes to the overall loudness ... I probably read about that somewhere but didn't absorb it ... might be interesting to lookup/check out.

Kodiak #443632 09/27/21 09:28 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
We were messing with 960hz. Wide band of Q maybe like whole octave wide.

Increasing from +1db to 1.6db was readily detectable.

You nailed it in another post. When you change anything its at the expense or detriment of something else when you are really dialed in. When you hit spl listening levels what ranges contribute to the balance and weighting or priority is a tough juggle when making adjustments.

Yesterday I cut up Axiom shipping foam to make port plugs for my super towers. Work great actually. I was able to revisit Dirac and put a couple db back into the upper bass range around 150hz. Really filled out plucks of upright bass and sure sharpened things up. But, only because I know the system and it is a pretty controlled space. In a live room may not have been as important as other factors.

rrlev #443657 10/01/21 12:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Trevor recommend both the book and AudioTools to me a while back. I can 2nd both.
Of the books I've looked at this was the most concise and most practical one by far. Wish I had it when I was first planning my HT.

AudioTools also seems to be a really good app. I have not used all the tools yet but so far I'm happy. AudioTools come with a minimum set of plug-ins. All the others, some of which you'll want, are ala carte.

Instead, I bought AudioToolsMax which is AudioTools with everything enabled (including anything which comes out in the future). It was a bit pricey even on sale (think the sale was something like 30% off at the time). I justified it because it had tools not only for room measurements but a few others I knew I'd need sometime in the future (like testing THD and noise).

One Note: Audio out on the newer iPads requires some sort of interface now that they no longer have a phone jack out. I have an older iPad I'm keeping around which is good enough for room tuning.

I also got Audiotools though not with all the added plug-ins.
I really don't like using the tablet/phone for taking sound measurements but short of setting up something more elaborate, it's what i used.
Still trying to wrap my head around how much Audyssey changes the room curves. Things are subtle and in some cases seemingly not at all when looking at before and after curves.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Kodiak #443688 10/05/21 10:07 PM
Kodiak Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Wow. Great discussion above and responses. Right on. Well here is another thing I noticed. The spec on the m60 is ststed as handing of the mid range to the low at 500hz. That seems reallly high to be handing down the midrange to the woofer. I would think the spec should be similar to the m80 and m100 and handing off at 160hz or 200hz. Thoughts?

Also, the center channels are stated as handing off at 500hz, is this correct? I'm not knowledgable at all with anything center channel or 5.1 etc surround stuff. It's glaring blank in my knowledge base. My 2 channel knowledge is improving though, I think some of what i've learned is actually true as well. ( Ha ha.)

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters