Matching Axiom and Bryston Speakers
#444046 11/24/21 02:09 AM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
Hi everyone, my first post here.

I am in Australia and have recently bought a pair of Bryston A1 speakers.

The Bryston speakers aren't really sold in Australia. From what I can tell there's only 1 store which stock them, and they only have 3 pairs for sale and all 3 pairs are floor stock. No other stores has them.

I thought I would audition them due to the Bryston reputation and the good price. I was amazed how good they were. I took a day to think it over, knowing the main problem was to find matching speakers for my home theatre. Never the less they were so good that I ended up buying them.
While searching for Bryston speakers overseas, I discovered Axiom.

From what I have read, Axiom and Bryston speakers are very similar in appearance and design, and Axiom makes the drivers for Bryston speakers.

My question is do they match well enough that I can get an Axiom centre to go with my Bryston A1 speakers? I'm hoping the answer is yes, cause that means I can have a proper HT setup.

TIA

Re: Matching Axiom and Bryston Speakers
RandomAudioGuy #444047 11/24/21 02:39 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I believe Axiom makes ALL of the speakers for Bryston. It should also be noted the reason why the Axiom name probably came up in your research is back a year or two ago Axiom purchased Bryston.

RandomAudioGuy #444048 11/24/21 03:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
This is always a tough call, matching mains with a centre channel of a different brand. However as casey pointed out, Axiom has been in collaboration with Bryston to help them make speakers including fabrication out of the Axiom factory so i can only assume that the drivers will be of close enough make, materials and design that tonality 'could' match.
It certainly is a better bet than any other options.

That being said, i have presently in our HT for testing some early versions of Axiom speakers (Ti line circa 2002) including the VP150 centre channel, along with newer M60 v4 and the big VP180 centre channel. The newer v4 have a different tonal sound in some ways compared to the earlier versions and when i use the older M60 Ti with the newer VP180 v4, it is noticeable BUT, since the centre channel carries most of the sound for movies, i notice it less with this medium. If i were to play a DVD-audio disc, the mains carry more sound and the tonal difference with the VP180 is more noticeable. It is seamless when the M60 v4 are paired with the VP180 v4. Note that all these drivers are not identical and have had tweaks over the years even though they use similar, if not the exact same, materials. Small tweaks, different crossovers, cabinet designs all ultimately can create a different sound.

This muddies the water, but again, IF you were to have a need to match the Bryston speakers with a centre channel and Bryston does not have one, then an Axiom centre is by far your closest best option.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #444051 11/24/21 04:39 AM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
Originally Posted by chesseroo
This is always a tough call, matching mains with a centre channel of a different brand. However as casey pointed out, Axiom has been in collaboration with Bryston to help them make speakers including fabrication out of the Axiom factory so i can only assume that the drivers will be of close enough make, materials and design that tonality 'could' match.

This muddies the water, but again, IF you were to have a need to match the Bryston speakers with a centre channel and Bryston does not have one, then an Axiom centre is by far your closest best option.

This was what I thought. The Bryston speaker path isn't really an option as it seems I can't buy them here, so I'll have to buy them from US/CA, and it's very hard to do as most sellers don't send overseas.
Axiom however seems very happy to sell and ship to Australia.
Also Bryston don't do in ceiling speakers speakers, which Axiom do.

It sounds like Ill just have to get an Axiom centre and it'll be the closest thing I can get without going Bryston.

RandomAudioGuy #444052 11/24/21 04:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by RandomAudioGuy

This was what I thought. The Bryston speaker path isn't really an option as it seems I can't buy them here, so I'll have to buy them from US/CA, and it's very hard to do as most sellers don't send overseas.
Axiom however seems very happy to sell and ship to Australia.
Also Bryston don't do in ceiling speakers speakers, which Axiom do.

It sounds like Ill just have to get an Axiom centre and it'll be the closest thing I can get without going Bryston.

Axiom has a lot of options for in-wall, on-wall.
The only focus i have is more with mains and centre channel. I've never found enough tonal difference for what surround speakers put out to take away from the overall characteristic sound.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #444055 11/24/21 07:07 AM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
Axiom has a lot of options for in-wall, on-wall.
The only focus i have is more with mains and centre channel. I've never found enough tonal difference for what surround speakers put out to take away from the overall characteristic sound.

I agree. I currently have different speakers for LCR, surround/surround back, and height. Have had no issues at all. But do went to match the centre as close as I can though.

Think I'm going to have to buy it and see

RandomAudioGuy #444059 11/24/21 03:17 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
The great thing about Axiom is they have a 30 day in home trial. I have the VP180 center but I know a lot of people on here rave about the VP160 too.

LFR1100
VP180HP
EP600
M3 In Ceiling x 4
M5OW
M2 - Atmos rears
ADA1500.5
M3 Outdoor Speakers
ADA 1000.8
Canesfan27 #444067 11/25/21 12:02 AM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
Originally Posted by Canesfan27
The great thing about Axiom is they have a 30 day in home trial. I have the VP180 center but I know a lot of people on here rave about the VP160 too.

Much harder in Australia. I have to pay duties/taxes when it arrives (which I don't think is refunded) and will cost so much to ship back, it won't be worthwhile.

Which is why I'm trying to find out as much as I can before buying.

RandomAudioGuy #444068 11/25/21 01:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Welcome to the forums!

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

RandomAudioGuy #444069 11/25/21 11:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
On Bryston's website, they offer a wide range of speakers - including centre channels.
Can your local store order one for you, or perhaps contact Bryston directly for any options they may offer,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters