Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The question that no one dares to ask
#4444 07/19/02 04:34 PM
buff
buff
The B&W's didn't impress me, nor my wife. Sounded muddy, almost muffled, like I just wanted to get up and rip the grill right off the sucker to see if it was true what I was hearing. Some of their speakers are moderately priced, but I would have to agree that there is way too much hype about these speakers.

I think Mirage is another one. I know they have alot of drivers in their floor standers, hence the high cost, but the sound you get from them would only be suitable for HT use in my opinion. So for me the price to performace ratio is way out of balance in the Mirages.

Let's see what other speakers I've demoed. Totem speakers are good speakers, a little bright but still a good prduct. Price to performce ratio is unreal though. Just for the little Arrow speakers you might as well chop off your arm and leave it on the counter! Anything more advanced than the arrow you might as well say good by to your right leg as well!

Bestboy4

#4445 07/20/02 01:23 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Where do you even start?

I believe I listened to a speaker by a company called Royd that ran about $6000 Cdn a pair, advertised as "the most accurate speaker on the market"...hooked up, of course, to the $9000 in electronics necessary to extract enough detail for said speaker to reveal. It was a good sounding speaker, but did nothing a pair of M22s couldn't do for less than 1/10 the cost with the same megabuck electronics.

I've heard that Krell speakers are extremely overrated as well.

Cables and high-end electronics can be so astoundingly overpriced there's no point even beginning to list major offenders.

And hey, if we're to believe their advertising, technically BOSE is the BOSE of high-end audio.

Last edited by fhw; 07/20/02 01:25 AM.
#4446 08/02/02 06:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
A large can of worms indeed......but were to start???

**Please note - opinions here are solely my own (like anyone else would want them!). Your mileage may vary**

All things being equal, if greater money is applied to the material and engineering aspects of audio gear, theoretically the end product "should" be better than a price constrained model.

However, as we all know, this is not the truth.....by any stretch of the imagination. While I am the first one on this board to classify myself as an audiophile "snob", I have the sense to realize this can be true, but is not always true. I would venture to say that there are more lower cost products that are garbage than higher cost - and cost is subjective to the individual consumers monetary situation, as well as subjective audio judgements, and what they are considered, midfi, hifi, lowfi.

So, on to my list - and I will include companies in general at all levels:

Polk, Carver (I once spoke to people inside Carver who termed most of the "innovations" touted as "Bobism's) Verity Speakers, Infinity, AMC, Anthem,....I jsut realized I could go on with models in lineups that are substandard to the rest of that mfg'ers line.......

...and if we wanted to include all pieces in a system, boy would that swell!!!

A company that has the resources, engineering power and market share to have excellent quality products marketed - and yet has delivered nothing I would consider quality (at any level) Sony. If they ever decide to enter the hifi market....watch out, they could take over! But I suspect they are in the market segment that provides the greatest movement of product.

#4447 12/17/04 07:27 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hey chess,

what if you could get a pair of 603's for $1100 CAD brand new?

"I gotta have more cow bells!"
#4448 12/17/04 07:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
man have you resurrected an old thread.....

Chess has not been spotted on the board in some time. See the OT thread on "Missing Persons" for others.

#4449 12/17/04 07:37 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
sorry,

I keep forgetting to read the dates of the posts.

"I gotta have more cow bells!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,324 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup