C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I think there used to be a thread about bicycles back in the day, but I couldn't find it. I'm excited since I just got a new bike. I've had the same Giant Roam 3 for probably 10 years now, and it's the only bike I've owned as an adult. I finally pulled the trigger on a new one, and I'm giving my Giant to my nephew. Here's my new one:

Priority 600

I really wanted the low-maintenance/just get out and ridedness that seems to be Priority's mission. The Gates carbon belt drive and sealed Pinion gearbox should make my bike-owning life a lot less annoying. I never fell in love with cleaning and re-lubing the chain. I'm still adjusting to the different feel after being so used to the one bike.

First impression is that I can't get up and go as quickly on the new bike. No pedal strikes yet, but I've heard it can be more of an issue than normal because of how low to the ground the pedals reach. I also think I need to make some adjustments on the fenders, since I get a little rattle when going over bumps. You also need to momentarily stop pedaling to change gears, so when approaching hills, it's easier to shift down before starting the ascent. I'm probably worrying about that too much, so I'm not flying up the hills like I used to, instead shifting down and going up slowly. On the plus side, it was only my second ride today, and it's already feeling more natural, so I'm optimistic about finding a decent comfort level with the new characteristics.

It seems to be lighter than the Giant, which I wasn't expecting, even with front and rear racks mounted, where I only had a rear rack on the Giant. I also didn't realize the tires would be wider. Not an issue. I just wasn't expecting it, even though it makes sense with it supposedly doing well on gravel.

The big problem with spending a lot of money on a new bike (4x the price of the Giant) is that I want to get even fancier accessories. I've already been using a phone mount I love:

Peak Design - Out Front Bike Mount

So much nicer than the previous phone mounts I've used.

I think I've decided on a new pannier bag for shopping, but I haven't ordered it yet.

Ortlieb Velo-Shopper

I'm still trying to decide on headlight and tail light, since I will be doing night rides.

What are you all riding and accessorizing with?

Last edited by CV; 05/12/22 06:42 PM.
Re: Bicycles Bicycles
CV #445361 05/12/22 09:09 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Thats a nice bike! I’ve never been a bike rider as an adult, but lived on em as a kid/teen. I’m afraid if I get one it will keep our kayak company…. Doh! This is the year!

But seriously, nice bike!

CV #445362 05/12/22 10:04 PM
M
M
You need the canoe there for sure. Given the rising water level, forget the bike, the canoe, and get a house boat.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
CV #445379 05/13/22 04:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I was a big biker 20+ years ago … did 4000+ miles/yr for many years. Now I rarely do more than a few hundred. Still ride 2 of the bikes from back then … a Merlin road bike (titanium) and a specialized mountain bike. My other 2 were a touring bike and a beater bike for city riding (one I would not cry over if stolen). Still have the tourer just don’t do multi day trips any more.

CV #445382 05/13/22 05:29 AM
M
M
Bikes are impractical. No place to mount active LFRs.

House of the Rising Sone
CV #445392 05/13/22 04:12 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I bit the bullet last year and bought a mountain bike (Pivot 429). I'm still shocked at how much I paid, and it's the "base" model. Damn thing can get upwards of 13K if you buy the top-end configuration. Mountain bikes today are nothing like the bikes I road 10-15 years ago. It's a blast to ride and seems to wake up and perform better, the harder I push it through the trails. I'll probably kill myself riding it. I need to resist downhill bikes altogether, cause that would be certain death.

I like the utilitarian nature of that Priority you bought Charles. I am assuming that most of your riding will be on roads? Asphalt? Interesting drive system too. I have not heard of that type before.

CV #445393 05/13/22 04:20 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah, almost all of my riding will be on asphalt (errands around town, pleasure rides on paved bike paths), but I anticipate doing some gravel and dirt, just not terrain with too much depth of character. I still like the idea of getting a mountain bike at some point, but I think I would only do it if I found someone to go with me. I'm not the biggest lone adventurer.

That Pivot 429 looks like a ton of fun. Besides the overall feel of the ride, what features are you enjoying so far?

CV #445394 05/13/22 04:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don’t know how people do what they do going down rocky steep terrain at speed. So I’m with you on that.Michael. Even watching guy hop his front gear onto a small fallen tree to climb over it look a bit beyond me. I’ll stick to reasonable trails thank you.

rrlev #445400 05/13/22 11:37 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by rrlev
I’ll stick to reasonable trails thank you.

Total PUSSY! Meow.

House of the Rising Sone
CV #445416 05/14/22 04:28 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted by CV
Yeah, almost all of my riding will be on asphalt (errands around town, pleasure rides on paved bike paths), but I anticipate doing some gravel and dirt, just not terrain with too much depth of character. I still like the idea of getting a mountain bike at some point, but I think I would only do it if I found someone to go with me. I'm not the biggest lone adventurer.

That Pivot 429 looks like a ton of fun. Besides the overall feel of the ride, what features are you enjoying so far?

Riding with a buddy would be nice. I tend to ride alone due to schedules, and we have bears everywhere. I hate packing a firearm when I'm riding a bike, or even bear spray. Both of which might work, if I have time to use them (highly unlikely). Two riding and talking is better, as the bear would hear us and not get startled.

I like how light the Pivot is, and feels. The geometry is also nice, along with the larger 29" wheels. It's uber-comfortable over rocks and bumpy terrain. Just an overall nice bike. It is considered more of a cross-country style than enduro, as it doesn't have a ton of suspension travel. For features, I dunno.... Not any one in particular. I do not have the package with electronic shifting, or the uber-expensive gear sets.

If you do go with a mountain bike, I would definitely take a few out for a spin before buying. They do ride and feel different. They all will come in different frame sizes too, so you will want to see which frame size is for you, and not go off a dumb sizeing chart.

I'm actually looking at getting one of Pivot's gravel bikes now.

A couple of my friends who are big-time bikers take their bikes with them all over the country. They check them as baggage. They go to bike parks and ride.... I had no idea there was such a thing as a "bike park" until I got my bike and found new friends who ride a lot. It is a hobby that is every much like audio.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044