I thought it would be interesting to survey our past solid state devices (amps, pre-amps, pre-pro’s, integrated amps, receivers) to see how long they lasted, and whether they “don’t make them like they used to”.

We expect electromechanical devices to fail. Rubber, plastic, cooling fans, door hinges, and motor lubrication are recurrent failure points. But solid state devices ought to last decades before failing from capacitors, corrosion, thermal stresses, and design flaws.

Let’s start with how long it lasted, the device, any fond memories about its usage, why it failed, whether you attempted to repair it, or whether it was just too obsolete. Or maybe it's still alive today.

Here’s my list:

- 18 years: JVC JA-S31 40W/ch integrated amplifier, 1977-1995. A beautiful brushed stainless steel integrated amp that my father bought new. It began developing noisy switches by the late 80’s. Wiggling the various input and loudness switches helped, as did contact cleaner, but it was a losing battle. It was a static machine by the time I recycled it.
- 17 years: Denon PMA-915R 80W/ch integrated amplifier 1995-2012. It had a weird design flaw in which I had to turn it on and off twice to get sound. It also developed noisy switches that went away after judicious contact cleaner spray. One day it just up and died. The fuse was fine, so I never bothered fixing it.
- 11 years: Kenwood 1080VR 120W/ch stereo, 100W/ch front, 60W/ch rear 5.1 Pro-Logic receiver, 1998-2005. It sounded fine for movies, but a complete letdown for multichannel music. I didn’t realize it, but what I really wanted was Pro Logic II, which wouldn’t be released for another decade. It eventually developed a buzzing sound, and traced it to the front panel’s dimmer switch: the brighter the display, the louder the buzzing. I sold it in 2006. The new owner disposed of the Kenwood in 2009 because it was obsolete.

Your turn.

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"