Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Axiom M80's vs Revel F36 or Focal 826's?
Stereoguy99 #446749 12/01/22 09:37 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
The manual says that because in order for the port to do its job, the speaker needs to be a minimum of one port diameter away from the wall. If you move it closer, the low end tuning changes. So does the radiation pattern but that's a different story.

The distance from boundaries affects room loading. If you want more bass, move closer; less bass, move farther. It's like EQ only acoustical rather than electronic.

There's a ton more to this though and the simple answer is that you have to play with your speakers and MLP a ton to get it right. You can start off with speakers 12 feet or more into the room or 3 feet or less into the room. Someone like Trevor may have come up with a pretty good method for getting close. I start by eye-balling the room. What I end up with sounds good and I can't know if it's optimized. But people don't like it because their room looks like crap most of the time. Actually, if they got rid of 80% of the shit they don't really need, it would all be fine!

When Bruce does his listening, he may find he loves the speaker in a particular position but not the final position. This is why I suggested he may also want to listen with room correction.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Stereoguy99 #446771 12/03/22 04:56 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice feedback mojo. Playing with positioning is crucial. As I’ve learned and am slowly learning more.

The best positions for me look the absolute worst in my great room. So I day to day I have the m60s parked in an aesthetic location which is fine bc it’s too busy in the house to really do any critical listening. It’s more for just having tunes going while doing things around the house.

But when the house is empty and I have the time I know where to place them to get the holographic response I love. Takes about 7 mins to adjust speakers and couch into MLP but it’s great. I am lucky though that my room is able to be revamped easily bc there’s lots of space and things move easily. It’s a good compromise of aesthetics and being able to position for optimum performance.

They’re quite deep into room. It looks insane but it sounds amazing. With the sub I have I was able to commit to moving the L/R further out into the room. I wouldn’t do that before bc I would lose too much bass from the snubs without the sun. But now it’s really good.

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595
Hambrabi #447015 12/24/22 08:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by Hambrabi
I'm not sure I trust Paradigm anymore, expressed by myself and by others:

https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php/topics/445769/paradigm-doesnt-do-nrc-
anymore#Post445769

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what’s-the-deal-with-paradigm-speakers.8927/

But I will relate my experience when I took a pair of Polk Audio LS90's home for a 10 day trial. They sounded great in the showroom with my own music, so I bought them. But when I A/B'd them against my existing Paradigm Phantom's, there was no question which of the two was the more neutral loudspeaker. The LS90 had too much bass, a muddled midrange, and strident treble in comparison. I didn't want to keep them knowing that I had something better.
Just saw this note on Paradigm.
My thoughts exactly, or similar.

The Phantoms are long gone, replaced by even more neutral loudspeakers from Nuance, Angstrom, Axiom, and Kanto. I don't think you'll get a good decision unless you can trial them in your own home, with your own music, and being able to A/B them almost simultaneously.

The one question that I'm still waiting for is how the Revel's compare with your M80v3. Is it a small or noticeable difference? I've had instances where what I had was better than it's replacement.
Angstrom?
They still making anything of worth?
They are NOT well known.
I have two in my office; Angstrom Legattos.
Of any bookshelf pair i've had, still the most incredibly detailed sound. I'm itching to consider a pair of Kef R3s though (3 way pair).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #447024 12/26/22 04:14 AM
local
local
Originally Posted by chesseroo
Angstrom?
They still making anything of worth?

It might be a zombie company of 1 or 2 people for all I know, relegated to obscurity like Hansen, Gershman, or Newform Research. I only see distributors advertise new models on Kijiji. But somehow they've outlasted API (Energy, Mirage, Sound Dynamics, Athena), Waveform, and Nuance!

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
Stereoguy99 #447027 12/26/22 07:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
They still have their Obliggatos listed as current models.
https://angstromloudspeakers.com/portfolio-item/obbligato-floor-standing-loudspeakers/
Not sure who distributes them anymore.
https://angstromloudspeakers.com/where-to-buy/

Not owned by the original NRC research fellows, but company still there though mostly HT related in-wall, on-wall kind of stuff.
https://angstromloudspeakers.com/history/

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/26/22 07:12 AM.

Stereoguy99 #447030 12/26/22 07:43 AM
axiomite
axiomite
And how does this weight only 20 lbs?
https://angstromloudspeakers.com/portfolio-item/comodo-f-floorstanding/

Hard to trust a company that can't get specs straight. Love those Vifa drivers though.

chesseroo #447057 12/27/22 06:05 PM
local
local

Hard to trust a company that can't get specs straight. Love those Vifa drivers though.

The PSB Alpha T20 tower is 12kg each, so 9 kg might be accurate.

I have Angstrom's Modular Six Center channel, a pair of Omega II 200 bookshelves, and a pair of Suono 100SD multi-polar surrounds. $300 used, a good deal considering the original owner paid $2100. The Suonos are highly colored, but they're fine for surround duties. The other speakers hold their own against the M5HP at low volumes, albeit with a slightly lifted treble. They go into compression early, so they won't play loud.

I still have a review written by Gordon Brockhouse of various $1500 towers (2005 dollars) comparing the Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-50, Infinity Beta 50, Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.3, and PSB Image T65. He threw in the Angstrom Modular Two bookshelves with Modular TENi subwoofer as a foil. The sub-sat system won, particularly in treble and midrange neutrality. So Angstrom was capable of fielding competitive products at the time.

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"
Stereoguy99 #447064 12/28/22 12:44 AM
M
M
The founder of Angstrom was in the same philosophy program as Ian. Instead of wasting their brains on philosophy stuff, they wasted their brains on speaker engineering at the pub.

Now here's my reasoning on Angstrom speakers. Ian got his philosophy degree. So did the Angstrom founder. Ian and the founder discussed speakers over cold brewskies. Ian and the founder started speaker companies. Ian designs great speakers. Therefore, by transitive property, the founder designs great speakers. Therefore, Angstrom speakers are righteous.

You might also be able to tell from this analysis I got an A in my first year philosophy class. The same class where Dr. Feldt promised in writing to break both my knee caps if I ever again wrote a first year paper that took him as long to mark as a Ph.D. thesis.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Hambrabi #447067 12/28/22 04:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted by Hambrabi

The PSB Alpha T20 tower is 12kg each, so 9 kg might be accurate.

I have Angstrom's Modular Six Center channel, a pair of Omega II 200 bookshelves, and a pair of Suono 100SD multi-polar surrounds. $300 used, a good deal considering the original owner paid $2100. The Suonos are highly colored, but they're fine for surround duties. The other speakers hold their own against the M5HP at low volumes, albeit with a slightly lifted treble. They go into compression early, so they won't play loud.

I still have a review written by Gordon Brockhouse of various $1500 towers (2005 dollars) comparing the Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-50, Infinity Beta 50, Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.3, and PSB Image T65. He threw in the Angstrom Modular Two bookshelves with Modular TENi subwoofer as a foil. The sub-sat system won, particularly in treble and midrange neutrality. So Angstrom was capable of fielding competitive products at the time.

I actually auditioned the Angstrom Modulars back when i was first shopping for gear. It was my 8th post on these boards!
https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/u...strom-modular-and-the-winner-is#Post3289

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/28/22 04:27 AM.

chesseroo #447068 12/28/22 04:48 AM
local
local
I actually auditioned the Angstrom Modulars back when i was first shopping for gear. It was my 8th post on these boards!
https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/u...strom-modular-and-the-winner-is#Post3289

I read your review a few days before I made an offer for the Angstroms! The seller originally split the speakers up and wanted $575 for them. I made him an offer for the center and bookshelves, and on my way there, he offered the surround speakers as well for a price I couldn't refuse. My original plan was to use the Omega II 200's as surrounds, but the Suono's diffuse sound field is better for that task. We both got a fair trade.

And it's good to know that Angstrom is as lost in 2022 as they were in 2002. haha

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters