Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
EP 350
#445 11/09/01 05:53 AM
John Offline OP
OP Offline
Ian,

I have just completed my HT room in the house, the room is open concept "L" shaped area of 1500 sq ft. After experimenting with the placement of my subs, I am thinking of adding a third sub to my current setup. I have a VP-150 center channel, M-80 Fronts, QS-8 Surrounds and 2 VP-150's for rear channels, the 2 subs are EP-175's placed near the front of the room on opposite sides angled towards the seting area. I have tried them 1 in front and one in back but was not happy with the overall balance in the room, I find that the 2 placed in front and phased 180 degrees give the best setup at the present. I would like to add another sub to the rear of the room and was thinking about a EP-350 instead of adding the third EP-175. Any thoughts or suggestions on this or would you recomend staying with the EP-175's all around.

PS, I would also like to compliment you on your speakers, I have tried many different brands and models, some costing considerably more then this setup, but none in my opinion gave me the clarity and overall sound stage that this current system has achieved. Anyone that has been in here and listened to either Audio or watched a movie on DVD has also come away a beliver in your products. Thank-you!

Best regards
John Henderson

Re: EP 350
#446 11/14/01 12:24 AM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
I am very pleased to hear how much you are enjoying our products. I have a similar open space situation at my own house and ended up with three subs to get the bass even everywhere. I would suggest the EP350 for you third sub. I think you will end up trying a number of different positions for the subs to make sure you have the best location for each.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer

Ian Colquhoun
#447 11/14/01 02:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ian,

Thanks for the recommendation, I spoke with my local Axiom dealer today about this as well and he brought up a concern about the characteristics of the 350 vs. 175, so I called Joe this afternoon and he raised the concern about a miss match in the sound characteristics. I know that Joe is partial to the 175, but he started me thinking about this, so now I am not sure. What are your thoughts on this point?

#448 11/20/01 10:40 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
The selection of the sub-woofer or multiple sub-woofers is a very room dependent / SPL desired decision. For maximum output the EP350 is the best. This same output can be achieved with multiple EP175s or EP125s. Since the EP350 will dip a bit lower in frequency than the EP175 or EP125 then one of them in mix of subs is a pretty good idea. This being said it also may be overkill from an SPL viewpoint to have one in the mix when using multiple subs. This brings us to the cost benefit equation. If cost or space is not considered then multiple EP350s not turned up very high will provide the deepest bass and the most versatile room coverage. If cost and size are an issue then the use of multiple smaller subs would be best because you can get the room coverage and the SPL by sacrificing only a few frequencies at the bottom.

Ian Colquhoun

Ian Colquhoun
#449 11/21/01 03:29 PM
John Offline OP
OP Offline
Ian,

Thanks for your reply, cost or space is not an issue. Sound quality is, I have asked my local dealer to bring in a EP350 and another EP 175 this way I can try out both subs in the room and see which one will suite my preferrence in terms of achieving the desired results. I will let you know what the final result is as soon as I get the 350 and additional 175 form the dealer.

Regards

John.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020