Rate Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Re: GOT MY TRACKING NUMBERS!!!
#45091 05/10/04 11:56 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

(I don't want to be evicted).

Don't worry about that... If you have M60s, you no doubt have enough cardboard in your basement to build a really nice condo under some bridge.

Great review!

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#45092 05/11/04 12:37 AM
devotee
devotee
BigJohn,

Is there a reason you do not want to go buy a DVD-Audio disc as well?

If you can find an AIX disc, get one.

Otherwise, try out Eagles' Hotel California or Steely Dan's Everything Must Go

#45093 05/11/04 01:11 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
John, for not being an audio expert, ya done good 'splainin the set up. I am really glad you finally got everything, and early to boot. The initial noticeable improvement in the audio with the Axioms almost detracts from the full experience as your attention keeps being yanked to those new pieces of ear candy that you haven't heard before!!!

Your comments about pausing the action because it sounded like someone was in the house were interesting. I still do that after 3 months. Wait until you watch a scary DVD like "The Others". It will creep you out.

I'm still playing with the levels on the QS8s. My 3803 allows me to adjust by 1/2 db at a time and I have my MX-700 remote set up to handle each speaker and the sub individually. Pretty interesting the way you can move the audio towards the M60s or back to myself by tweaking the Qs. A range of 1 - 1 1/2 db is significant.

Anyhow, you are going to enjoy this journey of discovery. It just keeps getting better. BTW - an excellent narrative on the experience thus far. When we retire, we are looking to have a great room that size or bigger, so I have a touch of envy.

#45094 05/11/04 04:35 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

the two modes i found that i liked the best for listening to music were the 'DD neo 6', and the 'all channel stereo'. each sounded really good, but the neo6 seemed to put the voices in the center channel better. i just liked it the most.

For those interested in how these work and why they sound different:
- 6 Channel Stereo sends the left channel to the LFront and LSurr speakers, the right channel to RFront and RSurr, and sums them for the Centre and Rear Centre, Yamaha suggests it for parties and other full-room activites.

- the matrixed decoders use common mode rejection to decide what is panned equally to both channels and feeds that to the center (and rear centre, possibly after some delay/phase tricks), then sends the remainder of the left to the left, right to the right (and corresponding surrounds with whatever tricks the manufacturer uses), this spatializes the sound better but a lot of times broken, almost static-like speech will be heard in the side channels as they cross the boundary of being "in" and "out of" the centre.

Bren R.

#45095 05/11/04 01:42 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
bren- thanks for the explanation. you mentioned that yamaha suggests the 'all channel stereo' for parties.. i found the onkyo manual to be interesting in the same sense.. it lists ALL the different listening modes and DSP's, and gives examples when they would be most useful. just one of those little xtra things i thought was cool about the onkyp manual.

ray- when i started the post, i didnt mean for it to be that long.. thoughts just kept poppin into my head, so i just kept typing. of course, my post wasnt telling ya'll nothing new.. you already know how good the speakers sound.. oh, and 'the others' creeped my out when i didnt have surround, i bet it is a real blanket grabber with the surrounds.AAAAAHHHHHH!!!

snippy- i have nothing against dvd-a's, im just not sure what they are.. is it basically an sacd sound, but with a video or concert to watch on the TV?? i hate being ignorant like this, but i just really dont know the difference between the two. and i went to hastings last night to buy an sacd, and they didnt have any that i wanted. i am gonna go to the mall tonight and try to find one. if not, i will just order on-line.. but i wanna hear one NOW!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#45096 05/11/04 02:18 PM
devotee
devotee
Do a search on DVD-Audio here. It is hi fidelity music on a DVD disc while SACD is hi fidelity music on an SACD disc. THey both sound incredible. The main difference between SACD and DVD-Audio is that DVD-A can have extra features along with the album. SACD does not have extra features, but most titles have the CD layer included, which is nice for playing SACDs in the car.

But since your player plays both, you do not really have to care about the two formats, you just need to find titles that you will enjoy.

#45097 05/11/04 08:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As far as DVD-A goes, I suggest picking up Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours'. It's a good one.

#45098 05/12/04 12:35 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
John - if you want a real treat, get your hands on some concert/musiv DVDs. They will blow you away. A few suggestions.

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Fleetwood MAC - The Dance
Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans
Diana Krall - Live in Paris

Also, most folks don't consider their libraries. Our county library system has 5000 DVD titles and double that for CDs. They will send from other branches to your branch. Great opportunity to try out a wide range before buying. You can likely get into the library catalog on-line.
Eric Clapton - Live at Hyde Park.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020