Surround height ?
#4511 07/24/02 01:57 AM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Good evening to one and all.. I have been reading posts here for quite some time, and find them to be interesting and informative..
A little about my set up.. M80's, VP150, a pair of QS8's, powered by the just purchased Denon 3802.. (Not even hooked up yet !?) Been runnin things on a Kenwood KR-V8070..
Looks like another pair of Eights is in the making, what with that 7th channel on the Denon.. I will leave the two (Pro Logic era) rear mounted 8's in place, and put the new ones on the side..
The room is 12' wide, 21' long, faulted ceiling running long way, front to back.. Prime seating at 10' from the t/v.. There is a window on the left wall.. It's 7' from the floor to the top of the window.. This would place the QS8 at 4' to 5' above the viewers head.. I can't go forward or backward of the window as it is 80 inches wide, and would put the speaker too far in either direction..
So, is this puppy gonna fly ?? Is 8' to high ? Do I take out the window ?? (My wife gets that look in her eye every time I mention that !!) Gotta love it, eh...

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Re: Surround height ?
#4512 07/24/02 04:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Have you considered speaker stands instead of wall mounting?
Without access to good side walls i've had the use of stands and the QS8s have been excellent.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4513 07/24/02 12:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Mikey,

In theory, your Pro Logic-era rear QS8s should have been mounted on the side walls. "Rear" has been a misnomer. Dolby Labs always specified side-mounted surrounds but they certainly can work ok in some rooms at the rear. Did yours work ok at the rear? The extra channels the Denon affords are intended to go on the rear wall, with the main surrounds on the side walls, slightly forward or to the rear of the listening position (20 degrees forward or back).

I've heard a pair of QS4s at least 4 or 5 feet above us (in a Brooklyn loft) and they sounded great. Maybe you could experiment with the QS8s up high and see how they sound.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4514 07/24/02 05:18 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Chesseroo, gave it some thought, but the space between the seating area and the wall is too tight.. And the wiring was installed in the walls when I built the room, so placing them solid against the wall will be best at this time.. But, as things go when you think you know what you are doing, I originally terminated the wiring too close to the rear wall ?? Now I have to cut back into the drywall and extend the wiring run up and over the top of the window.. Gonna be a busy weekend.. I want it done NOW ! :>

#4515 07/24/02 05:38 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Alan..
Man, I'm always getting things backwards ? hahaa.. But, those QS8's mounted on the back wall have sounded great to me.. Both with movies and with music.. Full and believable..
So, the side location needs to be just forward or rear of the seating area ? 20 degrees, eh.. I will have it all installed and fired up by this Sunday (best laid plans of mice an men ?) I post my findings Monday.. This is going to be so cool.. I can't wait !!

#4516 07/24/02 09:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Mikey,

Well, that's the Dolby Labs specification (20 degrees) but as you've found out, the QS8s are really accommodating to different locations. They're seldom that critical to position. But the extra channels really are meant for the rear wall

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082