Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: NAD and Axiom??
#45619 10/21/04 04:27 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I haven't used the exact procedure there, but I have had to use higher gauge (smaller conductor) speaker wire in pairs that way in some applications. We have a portable Crown amp and JBL P.A. setup used for mid-sized press conferences and such - the audio patch bay in the rack is too small to use a good thick wire in so I usually double up the outputs with whatever wire happens to be in the armored box that day (usually 18-16ga. lamp cord tied into knots - I hate using other people's equipment! )

Maybe some day I'll really wow them all and Litz braid the cables. *snicker*

Bren R.

#45620 10/21/04 08:42 PM
shareholder in the making
No s.

Anyway, yeah, I made them. They appear to function. Sound comes out of the speakers. I got the cable from Bluejeans, and ended up using banana plugs from Home Depot.

It was more of a fun little project than anything else.

Oh yeah, and it wasn't really all that much fun.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#45621 10/23/04 09:58 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Geez, This again. I'm a EE and there isn't a bat [censored]'s worth of difference between an Wallmart's best extension cord and the very finest gold plated 5,000 strand 4-guage teflon insulated, NASA approved, insured by audio faires and blessed by Bethoveen himself speaker cord at $1,000 a foot.

Wire for Christ sakes is wire. You can dress it up any way you want but after you are done it's still wire! Wire is nothing! It is its purpose for being! Its reason de'etre. Its entire force for life. To be nothing! To be transparent!

Wallmart's best does a good job to be meaningless. Negligable inductance at 1 nH per inch, 50pF per foot, 5 milliohms per meter. None of it means squat when you are working into an 8 or 4 Ohm load impedance. God! When is this thing going to be put to a rest? What does it take? A wooden stake thru the chest? Give me a hammer for Christ sakes!

Anyway I'm all calm now. Good to get all that out. Give me a second to bring my breathng down. OK, I can move on now. Thanks.

I have a C370 driving a pair of Axiom 60's and a big bad-ass SVS sub-woofer. To me this is a perfect combination.

I'm a classical, pre-disposed to Motzart kind of guy. The whole setup is in my shop where I spend my days. Naturaly, the sound system has to be there as well because, that's where I spend my days.

As I said, I'm a EE. I design analog power circuits. I need music and a very good sound system while I work. I'm a tense guy, I run a 10 million dollar business, deal with people who sometimes are assholes and I really need music to calm me. I make a lot of money so I chose the best. I can buy anything I want but I chose Axioms and NADs. They just simply sound very good together.

I picked the C370 because from listening to it there is nothing better including the boutique amps. I heard plenty of them. Speakers, the same way. Nothing better to my ears than the 60s.

Lots of missteps along the way. I won't mention them. Speakers and amps. Gave it to my kids. They have some mighty expensive stuff.

Mariss

#45622 10/23/04 05:23 PM
lol.

I agree with you, dude... I just wanted to play around, you know, and have some cool looking thick cable going to my speakers. It's an ego thing or something.

#45623 10/24/04 12:52 AM
You, with speaker wire induced SPS?

#45624 10/24/04 01:18 AM

#45625 10/24/04 11:27 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I'm much calmer today. Back on my meds; it must be the meds. :-)

Look, everyone has something they become unhinged about; you know, where you want to beat the TV or the radio with your shoe until it begs for mercy. For me, it's pretty harmless; speaker wires. Otherwise I'm an easy going, go along to get along kind of guy. It's a Swiss cheese kind of thing; mostly solid except for where the holes are.

Amplifiers when done right are exquisitely designed works of engineering. Speakers even more so because they are works of art. Art is what transcends engineering because what you are after cannot often be defined by formulized, didactic formulas. Speakers transform emotionless volts and amperes, 0.01% TDH, 15 to 50kHz bandwith, 120db S/N ratio and all that other EE stuff into sound waves.

It is only those sound waves and our perception of them that can touch that something significant inside all of us.

Our ears are the gatekeepers; bad speakers, nothing. Good speakers, they can transport you and summon all manner of blissfull emotions; tastes, sights, touch and memories.

Sound, (and we are talking about artificial sound here, you are not in the concert hall after all), is best when it's free of artifice. The best speakers have the humility to make themselves transparent. That is the penultimate goal. Just you and the music.

In this hierarchy of two, the amplifier matters less. It is hard today to make and sell a bad amplifier. The truth is a $99 Sherwood stereo is within 95% of the best $4,000 boutique amp at normal (non-painful) listening levels. I have 'scopes, I have THD analysers, I have pure sinewave generators. I have personally tested everything I've bought (and passed on to my kids). The magic is not in the amps.

I used to design vacuum tube power amplifiers way back when. A good MOSFET power amp with little feedback does just as well. I believe instruments and a 'scope better here.

The magic IS in the speakers. This is something that defies measurement if the speakers being compared are free of cheap flaws. Here it also preference comes into play. We are individuals and what is bliss for you might be irritating and distracting for me. This is only natural, we are talking about the speaker to listener interface; there are no electronic instruments to measure and quantify that.

My advice? Spend money on the speakers. They are the car, the amp is the tires. You can always buy cool tires later.

Back to wires.

Wires connecting the two are completely inconsequential. They are in EE terms, passive components. Passive components cannot modify a signal. They cannot distort it, they cannot accentuate it, they cannot do anything except attenuate it. If they attenuate, turn up the volume 1db!

This thing really kills me. The advertisments for the "Bethoveen and Kiss approved cables" appeal to the dumbest and dollar rich among you. P.T. Barnum had your measure many years ago.

My white-coated attentant says it's time for more meds. Ahrg...

Mariss

#45626 10/25/04 10:11 PM
I enjoyed reading that immensely, but only in part because I agree with you. You have a unique way of assembling words that I like.

#45627 10/25/04 10:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Peter. I was looking for the way to say EXACTLY what you said. I really did enjoy the post. I particularly liked:

"Amplifiers when done right are exquisitely designed works of engineering. Speakers even more so because they are works of art. Art is what transcends engineering because what you are after cannot often be defined by formulized, didactic formulas.

Articulately (and, IMHO, accurately) stated.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#45628 10/25/04 10:23 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm in the same boat with Ajax where I was going to say exactly the same, but then I got too lazy and I decided to wait until someone said that they agreed, to which I'd reply "me too," or "three" as it is in this case.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters