Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: OT - Union Square hotels
#45976 05/14/04 09:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
My personal favorite is Osaka Grill. They have fantastic food at (mostly reasonable prices). When Kobe beef was available in the US they had it there. They now have the (not as good) American version. However, their chateaubriand is amazing and their shrimp fried rice is holy how crack good.
Also, if you have a few hundred to spend you could check out Masas. I went on someone else's dime and it was the best meal I have ever had in my life. The head Chef is Ron Seigal (first American to win on Iron Chef!!) and the man is a culinary genius.
If you like Indian food I HIGHLY recommend Naan N' Curry. I'm not a fan of curry for the most part, but their food is great. If you can handle the heat their Chicken Vindaloo will blow you away (and cause a ring of fire)...
For delicious general 'American' food with great service I would also recommend Postrio.
If you have specific styles or types of food you like let us know.
And I would highly recommend AsiaSF. I've never heard anything but good about it and it sounds like a blast (not been though). Of course take that with a grain of salt. I walk up Polk St to go home at night so seeing trannies is anything but new for me.
There are a LOT of amazing restaurants in SF. Ask away.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#45977 05/14/04 09:49 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Damn, you're making me hungry. And all I brought for lunch was a frozen Trader Joe's lasagna.

#45978 05/14/04 10:17 PM
aficionado
aficionado
on a similar funky-places-to-eat hijacking note, here's a little treasure, though a bit out of the way Hobbit House. It's turned into one of the most popular bars/restaurants in Manila.

"Chickens don't clap."
#45979 05/14/04 10:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Hehe. Masas has a foie gras dish that was and still is the best thing I have ever eaten in my life... Regardless of cruelty to animals or eating gross organs. It was just amazingly perfect.

drool

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#45980 05/14/04 11:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hey, i like the props to the philippines!

#45981 05/15/04 12:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yes, SF has some GREAT restaurants, spanning different tastes. some of my favorites.

North Beach - Michaelangleo's. Great, cheap Italian food right in the middle of Little Italy. They have the big community table in the middle which makes it more friendly. This is MUCH better than the Stinking Rose tourist trap.

Downtown: Slanted Door. Unbelieveable Vietnamese food, done somewhat w/ California flair. Their old place was almost impossible to get into.

Mission District:
Limon. Peruvian tapas. Awesome
Firecracker. Eclectic Chinese
Tokyo Go Go. Interesting sushi, VERY good.

Chinatown: House of Nanking. This is best done w/ a group. Just let the owner/waiter order for you, tell them what you WON'T eat. Great hole in the wall.

#45982 05/15/04 07:59 PM
D
veteran
veteran
D
cool! I'm gonna have to write all this down - going to be in San Fran and area 07/03-7/11. We're eating at Plumpjack Cafe for my wife's birthday on the 3rd - any suggestions for cool/romantic things to see/do afterward?? Also we're planning to drive north up the coast with friends during the week - no real plans or destinations - suggestions for places to eat/stay would be appreciated. Sorry for tthe hijack ringmir..

cheers,

DL

DL
#45983 05/15/04 10:34 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Not a hijack really, I was going to pose these questions a little closer to my trip is all Given that my hotel and airfare are covered, I'm thinking I'm going to spot for my girlfriend to come along. It looks like I'll be out there June 26th - July 2nd. I may end up asking for bar/restaurant/activity suggestions again before then.

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
#45984 05/15/04 11:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, I'll try to offer some info for things to do later, but just so you are prepared june 26th/27th are Gay Pride in SF so the city is going to be very very full. Not counting your reaction to overweight topless hairy women and super buff topless and hairless men...
Me? I'm gonna watch the parade from my home and giggle everytime they don't pixelate breasts or penis' (like a 12yr old!)

jr

ps the nudity will only really occur during the parades not during the touristy about town stuff.

#45985 05/15/04 11:32 PM
ringmir Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I'm sure (since I won't have to worry about driving at all) that it'll be a great time. It's always more fun to visit a city when they are all revved up about something they like. On the not-driving note, how's the transit system in SF? I'm reasonably transit savvy, so I'm mostly concerned with coverage and signage. Also, are there touristy places that are genuinely interesting? Or are most of them the same kind of hokey touristy things that every city has?

[black]-"The further we go and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."[/black]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters