Print Thread
Rate Thread
first time HT setup
#4614 07/27/02 06:36 AM
J
johng Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am just setting up my first HT. I have a Denon 1802, and Axiom M22ti, VP150, QS8's and an EP350. I have a few questions. Do I hook the cable TV directly to the TV and then use the audio out on the TV to play the sound through the suround speakers? Also, do I set the fronts to small or large and where do I set the crossover on the sub.
I'm sure I will have more questions but this will get me started.

Also, what is a good DVD player for under $500?

Thanks in advance for the help

John

Re: first time HT setup
#4615 07/27/02 04:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmm, first a JohnK, then Kjohn, and now a Johng.
You guys are starting to confuse me.

But back to the issues. That's a nice system you have going there. Essentially the same speaker set as my own although i returned the M22s in favour of the M60s. Considering that you have a good large sub and that your M22s are not full towers, i would recommend you set your speakers to "small".
As for the crossover, most people seem to find an acceptable range between 70Hz and 90Hz when using this setup (chek my other posts or search for a subwoofer crossover poll and you will see the results people here have reported). A post i made just yesterday also has a link to speaker setup according to Sound and Vision magazine online. Alan also recently posted a mention on proper subwoofer setup.

As for the tv sound, i'm assuming you don't have a vcr since it wasn't mentioned. In that case, connect your audio out from your tv into an audio in on your receiver to play sound through your system. With a vcr, hook up your tv audio out to the audio in on your vcr and connect the audio out on your vcr to an audio in channel on your receiver. This way when you turn your vcr on, you can listen to sound through your system for tv or for vcr movies.
Most receiver manuals should help you with these connections and if it is not clear, head over to the Denon or Onkyo websites and nab an online manual for some of their latest receivers.

DVD under $500 Cdn?
Again, i posted a review of 2 dvd players alongside a denon cd player not long ago. Do a quick search for Hitachi and Panasonic on the forums and it should pop up, if you're interested.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#4616 07/27/02 04:30 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
You should probably set the crossover on the sub at its maximum. The receiver's internal crossover will decide what signal to send to the sub. If this results in excessive bass, then you can turn the crossover down to the point at which your system sounds best.

M22s should be set as small for HT purposes. If you use the sub for music as well, they should probably still be set as small. If you listen to 2-channel music without the sub, the reciever should give you the option to use the M22s as full-range without having to reset speaker size.

DVD players are pretty much commodity items, so a good one under $500 should be REALLY easy to find. You should consider features as the best way to narrow down your search. Do you download a lot of music? Get a player that does MP3 decoding. TV accepts progressive inputs but has no line doubler? Progressive scan is a good buy. Have a collection of hybrid CD/SACDs? Look at Sony's SACD/DVD players. Many players at a typical "big box" store should fit your bill. You should also check www.audioreview.com with models you've narrowed down to...many people on that site describe positive and negative experiences with certain models or companies. This can really help you avoid buying a lemon. Then audition, audition, audition.

#4617 07/28/02 04:28 AM
local
local
Go here; http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php ; to check out good dvd players, go for the top user rated ones, because they most likely support a LOT of formats IE SVCD DD I happen to own the top user rated one by luck
Pioneer is great -try to get a progressive scan one tho heh

1xAxiom ax 1.2 2xPolk Audio R30 2xMordaunt-Short 3.0 H/K AVR 225 Paradigm PDR-10 Sub HTR MX-500
#4618 07/28/02 06:19 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Chesseroo and fhw, there's still an incomplete understanding about the sub crossover if the choice is to set "small" on the receiver. Again, it would be best to completely bypass the sub crossover, if the sub has that option. Otherwise, the sub cross should be turned up to the max setting to get it as far out of the way of the 80-90hz receiver cross as possible. The sub cross should definitely not be set in the 80hz area, this would only result in interference between the two crossovers. The sub crossover should never be turned down from the maximum setting. If there's excessive bass, this has nothing to do with the sub cross. It's the sub level control which should be turned down to reduce the bass.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#4619 07/28/02 04:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
This discussion seems to keep coming back way too often.

I believe i do understand how the crossover works.
With most receivers, a setting of small puts the receiver crossover at 80Hz or so (brand dependant). This essentially means frequencies below 80Hz will be played primarily by the subwoofer and not the main speakers.
In theory, a sub cross higher than the receiver cross wouldn't do anything since the sub will still be 'limited' to playing sounds under 80Hz with frequencies above that being attenuated by the crossover. Yes i am aware of the 'cascading effect' but i have yet to hear of anyone having issues with it. Perhaps Alan or Ian can provide some more insight as to the unknown ugliness of cascading.
Again in theory if you had to keep the receiver and sub crossovers apart to avoid this phenomenon, then why not set the sub cross at 75 or 85Hz, a value still electronically above (or below) the receiver cross?
When the sub does play sounds above this receiver crossover value (or the mains play sounds below the value), then obviously you would have mixed frequencies from both your mains and the sub which is typically not desirable depending on their sound curves in relation to the crossover value. Hence lowering the sub cross from its maximum setting tends to increase the integration between the 2 speakers.
The suggestion is usually to start with the sub crossover set at the highest setting but then lower it until you hear a seamless integration of sub and sound (that nice point coming together where the main speaker sound curve begins to decrease approaching or passing the crossover value and the sub sound curve decreasing as it plays approaching or above the crossover value).
What i am saying is that most people find this 'integration' around the 80Hz range. You should be able to come to this integration level either above or below the receiver crossover depending on your listening preference. I don't believe it has to automatically be above.

link to crossover poll
So many users cannot all be wrong (77% of 23 polled use a crossover less than 85Hz), but even as the polls show, preferences can vary.

I myself am in a minority range of that poll. Personally i use the large setting for my M60 mains and turn down the sub crossover to the 50-60Hz range since i find it has a nicely integrated sound for music and plays those low notes solid for the HT application.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/28/02 04:37 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters