Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DVD/Cd player - to upgrade or not?
#4647 07/31/02 11:37 PM
b_man Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have the urge to upgrade my DVD/CD player, but the wife thinks I'm crazy. I currently have a Sony DVP-S500D single disk player. I bought it in 1998 (when people asked the question - What's a DVD?) and it has served well ever since. There is still nothing technically wrong with it, but I feel like I'm missing some newer features and maybe a slightly better picture.

My current player does not have DTS. Is this worth the upgrade alone? I see lots of messages that DTS is the awesome. Then again the thought of a new player scares me. I see lots of reports on "lemon" players right from the box and tons of design defects.

So the question is...Do I take the chance and upgrade? Would you? I need some peer pressure to help the decision process.

b_man

P.S. Music and home theater usage is about 50/50.

Re: DVD/Cd player - to upgrade or not?
#4648 08/01/02 12:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
b_man
it really depends on your budget. I personally do not believe in fancy players, though, so I think you can get a good one for about 300$ CAD. I have a JVC and it gives an excellent image, can do progressive scan, and I use a fiber optic to my Denon so it does the decoding. The JVC only does video, and it's excellent. We paid 299$ for it. i think it's the 500 BL or something like that.

DTS is great, as long as you have the system to show it.

#4649 08/01/02 01:08 AM
veteran
veteran
b_man

Sometimes when you have an itch...you just have to scratch!

I too, am still using an older Sony DVD player as my DVD/CD unit (since my 10 year old CD carousel unit died). And I think it still does a pretty good job - but like you I have been having that upgrade itch! I am trying to hold out for a combo/carousel unit that does progressive scan DVD, DVD-A, CD, SACD and mp3 - but so far nobody makes such a unit. Don't know how long I can keep from scratching!

The DVD-A vs SACD battle may go on for a while.

Moving up to DTS generally is an improvement over DD sound - but not all DVDs are encoded for it (It takes up a lot more data storage space on the DVD)

A better picture would generally come from a progressive scan unit - but if you TV does not support it, then that feature is wasted (until you upgrade the TV - another itch!)

More features can be had on some higher end units - but many people don't use them too much (after the initial playing around).

So it comes down to how bad is the itch and can you scratch it a little? or a lot?

If you are really dissatsfied with the picture/sound you have, then my all means, go look for what's new out there. This is the time of year that a lot of new models start coming out - so there could be some really good deals on quality units in close-out!

Good Luck!

Randyman

#4650 08/01/02 10:39 PM
b_man Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the replys. You may have pushed me over the edge. Although it wasn't far to go.

#4651 08/02/02 03:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi b_man,

Nice to see you're a guitar player--so am I. I checked out the pictures of your spread.

If you want to upgrade to a DVD player with progressive scan (if your set is compatible) or component video outputs (if your set has component video inputs), that's reason enough--or a player that will handle DVD-Audio.

DTS works fine, and it does run at a higher data rate, but it is NOT "better" than Dolby Digital. I've done extensive listening comparisons with other editors and what we hear is differences in the mixes--typically, DTS mixes the subwoofer track louder, and adds other spectral changes that, with casual comparisons, may convince some consumers that it's better. But it isn't. If anything, it's not as faithful to the original soundtrack as Dolby Digital is. However, there are dts multichannel recordings that are entertaining and for that reason, and the aforementioned, go ahead and upgrade.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#4652 08/02/02 04:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Alan

I have compared the live NIN dvd from DTS and Dolby Digital. I find, and NIN finds the DTS version to be of higher quality. I think it has a lot to do with the mixer, rather than if it's DTS or DD. Black Hawk Down sounded incredible and it was DD, for example.

#4653 08/03/02 12:02 AM
b_man Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Sorry to disappoint you Alan, but my wife is the guitar player. I can play a few notes and chords, but nothing much.

#4654 08/03/02 12:05 AM
b_man Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I ended up going with the Toshiba SD4800. My current television does not support progressive scan, but I hope to upgrade to a newer TV in the next year or so. This DVD model also supports DVD-Audio, so maybe I'll give that a try.

#4655 08/03/02 01:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi
I picked up a Toshiba SD9200 DVD-A player. Music sounds good!

BTW, here's a great DVD movie pick to show off your Axiom speakers. THE TIME MACHINE a spectacular effort from DreamWorks. The dynamic range of the music and effects will just knock your socks off. I watched it in DTS mode, could not believe my ears. My 2 month old Toshiba 9200 is in the shop where what sounds like a little motor boat that lives in the transport will be removed, I hope. I watched/listened to the Time Machine on a Zenith progressive scan (under $150 from Frys) hooked up with component cables to a Hitachi HDTV and optical toslink to the Sony STRDB1070, 4 Axiom built M22 type speakers, a Merak horn MC6H center and what used to be my Kenwood SW300 sub.

There must be some details about the bass management settings I've overlooked since The Time Machine blew up my subwoofer. (Now makes Enormous Jurassic Farting Noises)

Anyway, that movie is a 10 out 10 for sound.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#4656 08/03/02 02:31 AM
P
old hand
old hand
P
sounds like a good movie to get this weekend and break in my new sub( not axiom sorry)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters