Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Will Axioms make MY music sound better?
#46596 05/23/04 05:49 AM
KaylinR Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I do like the midrange horn on the Mach Ones. They really make an overdriven guitar sound nice, but only when the volume gets up there. The horn tweeter seems to be a little harsh to me. Its not that its too loud, infact I think a lot of cymbals could be a little more upfront. It just that it seems too harsh. My brother in law has a full Klipcsh setup. He purchased towers when they still offered powered towers with a 12" side firing sub. They sound great but they fatigue me a little. Plus they cost a mint.

Even on my speakers I can tell that some of Pearl Jam's early music (the stuff that was popular, which I can take or leave) isn't recorded in stellar fashion. OTOH, there latest albums YEILD, Binural, and Riot Act sound really good to me. They were much more artistically done than the first few albums which were designed to satiate the Radio masses. Of course I don't know if I have the speakers to reveal hidden shortcomings. Does anyone listen to any of PJ's later work, the good stuff??

#46597 05/23/04 02:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow...you mean someone out there actually likes the newer stuff PJ has done?

#46598 05/23/04 04:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not a PJ fan, but I have Temple of the Dog. That's a good recording. As is Queens of the Stone Age.

If you think the Klipsch highs are too crunching but like to hear all that detail, then you may have come to the right place. Try to line up an audition with somebody near you.

#46599 05/24/04 04:26 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I listen to PJ all of the time (probably my favorite band) and I'll agree the production quality on the newer albums is phenomenal. IMO, there is nothing wrong with the earlier albums, just not quite up to the level of their newer stuff.

My favorite album is, and I'm sure will always be, Vitalogy (Corduroy sounds amazing). Their last couple of albums have been great though, if a bit too political for my tastes.

"Chickens don't clap."
#46600 05/24/04 06:16 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
When I was going through some rough times, I'd listen to "Nothingman" on repeat. It helped me wallow.

#46601 05/24/04 11:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I do like nothingman, but thought the rest of that album was just ok (was that vitalogy? I don't even know anymore). Anyway, that was the last one of theirs I bought.

#46602 05/24/04 05:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
That is kind of funny Zarak, I think between Vs. and Vitalogy is where Pearl Jam lost their mainstream appeal. I guess that's what happens when you stop pandering to MTV. Not making a video for 3 albums pulled them out of the spotlight, which they really wanted (though these albums weren't quite as focused as Ten/Vs./Binaurul/Riot Act IMO). The next video they did make has got to be one of the best ever - Do the Evolution - I think it was Todd McFarlane of Spawn comics who did the artwork, AMAZING!

"Chickens don't clap."
#46603 05/24/04 05:11 PM
KaylinR Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I think my favoite studio album is Yeild. Given to Fly, Low Light, No Way, MFC, etc are all great songs. IMHO, PJ's best stuff never makes the radio. They usually only release one or two singles from an album, and the songs they choose are usually not radio friendly. By that I mean they don't have easy chourus that people can latch on to immediatly. PJ albums simply require an investment by the listener. You won't be able to sing along the first time you hear a track, they're simply not that predictable. I can't stand bands today who write a two line chourus and sing it for 4 minutes, but that's because I'm used to the Jam.

Thanks for the comments guys.

#46604 05/24/04 05:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i been listening to Vitalogy in my truck for the last few days. it still sounds as good as it did ten years ago. i have TEN on record, and spun it on the AXIOMS last week, and it was great.

thats one of the things i really like about PJ. everyone of their albums sounds just as good, or better, than most of the stuff being put out right now. there is a large void for good rock n roll/heavy metal(if you can call it that) in the industry right now.

i will just keep spinning what i got til i find something else worth listening to.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#46605 05/24/04 05:31 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Kaylin, you're spot on. Yellow Ledbetter, what I believe to be their second best song ever (next to Corduroy) was a B-Side to what I think was the most over-hyped, over-played PJ song ever, Jeremy.

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020