Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Axiom vs B&W vs Aperion vs JBL Northridge
#46640 11/15/04 06:40 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Jag,
Have you listened to the EP350 and compared it with the EP500 ... is EP500 clearly better, or were the differences subtle?

Will appreciate your feedback, thanks!

Ananth

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

#46641 11/15/04 07:15 PM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
It was my utter disappointment with a pair of B&W602s3 that lead me to try Axiom speakers in the first place. The difference was night and day.

#46642 11/15/04 08:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I looked at the Northridge JBL's (E80's), before buying Axiom M60's..........I Am also a former JBL owner....about the only good feature left, is a nice "fit and finish".
They have spent the last couple of years putting their poly-plas drivers in different shaped cabinets.....sadly, it's just a shell of the formerly USA produced product, and like many other companies, all that's left is.....just a "name brand" to stick on any product they choose.
For the speakers,....go with the Axioms.

Last edited by LT61; 11/15/04 08:55 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#46643 11/15/04 10:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Ajax -- being an English major I can tell you that for proper nouns you do not need to change the "y" to an "ie" however some professors will disagree. It really just depends on who you're writing the essay for.

Lexxen = post whore?

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
#46644 11/15/04 10:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thank you. I thought that was the case, but was unsure.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#46645 11/16/04 12:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
edvacdude! I had a pair of Infinity Composition Overture IIIs also from Circuit City - driven by a top of the line Harman Kardon receiver. Got the Infinity RS3s for surrounds and the pricey Infinity CC3 center channel speaker. What did I know? On a lark I picked up a Merak MC6H center channel speaker from ubid for $29.00. WHAT?!?! That $29 speaker just humiliated the expensive Infinity center channel. Did a bit of research, made a few calls and found out that Merak was the down scale step brother of the Axiom lineup. I picked up a pair of M3Tis and IMHO the M3s were better than the $3000 Infinities. That was it for me. I sold the Overture 3s and have found audio bliss in various Axiom and Axiom made speakers.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#46646 11/16/04 03:46 AM
M
local
local
M
Hey Ananth, sorry for the late reply its difficult for me to keep in touch with the forum during the day.

Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the EP350. The EP500 and 600's have just come out so it will take time before there are professional reviews or comparisons from people that have heard both.

For me the decision was easy. Axiom is known for giving accurate specs and descriptions of their products and their reputation for quality products is well accepted all over the internet. Based simply on the difference in price and stated specs I think you can say yes the EP350 is "better". For me IMHO no question. The more important question for anyone buying one is do you need or want all that the EP500 can offer. For me the answer was a definite YES.

The bigger question for most folks I guess is not between the EP350, but between other HSU and SVS models of comparable price. The answer to this only time will tell when the new subs are reviewed both professionally and by folks like us.

I'm very much enamored with this sub. I like the fact that it matches or will match my other speakers when they arrive. I love the way it looks and to me it sounds great. It plays incredibly low, loudly and cleanly. Living on this side of the boarder also makes choosing an Axiom sub an easier choice.

Axiom historically has always made excellent products and by all accounts most would agree the older subs are very good, but just didn't offer the same price/performance to US customers as the competition. Axiom has clearly set out to change the tide on this with the new subs and given their reputation I don't doubt that this is what they've done.

That's my take on making my decision with going with the EP500 and I honestly believe you will be more than thrilled with what it can do.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers, Jag

#46647 11/16/04 05:32 AM
M
local
local
M
Ooops!

In reply to:

I think you can say yes the EP350 is "better"

I meant EP500 just to be clear

jag

#46648 11/19/04 06:01 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hello all,
Finally ...

My M80s (2), VP150, QS8s (4) and EP500 are here. The Denon AVR 3805 and DVD 3910 are also here. I'm excited and concerned at the same time Concern: want to make sure that they have a chance to fully shine ... if someone would be kind enought to share with me what they feel on the following, I'd be very grateful.
a. my room measures 14' (W) 16' (L) 9-7' (H). What would be an optimum position for the fronts (m80S) ..? In the forum some have mentioned "toeing" in the M80 .. what does that mean ...?
b. The speaker ports in the walls are all 48' high. Since I plan to listen to both DVD Audio and movies, do I use a different height for wall mounting sides versus rears?
c. I have QS8s for both sides and rears. Elsewhere in the audio world, I've seen recommendations of a monopolar speaker for the sides and a dipolar speaker for the rear. But QS8 does not seem to fit in either category (quadpolar?) Should I consider returning the side QS8s for a M22?
d. The side speaker ports in the wall are at exactly at the mid point of the side wall. (the listening position will be in the center of the room, midpoint) Is this an acceptable location for mounting the side speakers? Or should they be positioned a little further to the rear?

Would really appreciate your help guys.

Thanks a bunch.
Ananth

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3

#46649 11/19/04 07:57 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wow! Congratulations. That is going to be spectacular! When is the party, and what should I bring

I am envious of your system, and wish you many happy years enjoying it with your loved ones.

Good questions! Your precision moved me to response.

a. "toeing in" the speakers means that the drivers are slightly pointed towards the listening position rather than parallel with the side walls. You will have to experiment with placement, relative to not only how much toe angle you want, but also the proximity of the speakers to the side walls, etc. Just play around until it sounds good to you in your room. There is no absolute right answer.

b. My experience suggests that the height of the surrounds is probably not that critical, and I wouldn't go tearing up sheetrock unless you find that you are horribly unstatisfied and are laying awake at night wondering if that strategy might help.

c. The discussions I've seen about 7.1 differentiate between the "surrounds" (what you are referring to as the "side" speakers) and the "rear" speaker(s). My understanding is NOT like yours; I had seen little if any debate about using multi-polar speakers for surround, but some people do seem to prefer having direct-radiating speakers in the rear. Again, it depends somewhat on the room. Likewise, your receiver may allow you to switch the speakers based on listening mode and source (using the direct-radiating rears for 5.1 channel audio and not using the surrounds). If I were you (and I clearly am not), I would try what you have for a bit. If you find that multi-channel audio is somehow not satisfying, I would recommend swapping the rear QS8's for a pair of M2 or M22's, but I would NOT put direct-radiating speakers on the sides.

d. Generally, people seem to advocate having the surround speakers either a bit in front of or a bit behind the listening position.

For reference, I am currently running 5.1 in a ~13x24 room with sloped ceilings from 9-17'. I find the experience very immersive and quite satisfactory. So all my conjecture about your 7.1 setup is based on reading others' experience, not my own.

Hope you enjoy your new system! Post pictures!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020