Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hsu VTF-2
#46954 06/02/04 03:45 PM
buff
buff
Bren,
My French is limited to what I read on boxes and certain gems uttered by a P. Lepew used in conversation with the fairer sex. What appeared on the display asked about a shark in another wardrobe location, or whether I REALLY liked these speakers. Is that what you audiophiles call a "woofie"?

#46955 06/02/04 10:22 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
sponge - glad it all worked out. I just finished reading the the newsletter and saw the sub info. I immediately thought of you and wondered how you were making out (and if the article mentioned the crawling around piece.). I may do the Large setting on my M60s tonight to see how it works. Sounds interesting.

#46956 06/03/04 01:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
hey ray-

let me know how that 'large' setting works out on your denon. i might like to give it a shot on my onkyo, and see what kind of difference it makes.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#46957 06/03/04 04:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
bigjohn,
If you want to set your main speakers to large, all you have to do is turn down the crossover knob on your subwoofer until you find a point where the bass matches well with your mains.
At the present time, i have my M60s set to large and i run the crossover point around 50-55Hz. Some receivers will allow for a lower crossover point (less than 80Hz)such that you could still use the receiver to keep your mains set as small with a lower crossover point, but my receiver does not.
I much prefer more of the mid bass to be handled by the M60s. It is not as muddy and predominant. The subwoofer is left to handle the truly low end notes. Be careful you do not turn up your receiver too high though as the extra power required for the M60s to hit lower bass sucks back the watts.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#46958 06/03/04 05:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I could be wrong, but aren't you using the line out from your Onk to your sub? If that's the case the Onk wouldn't be sending a signal to the mains any lower than you had the crossover setting on the Onk set to, no?

If you had the sub and speakers run in series I can see how a simply crank of the crossover knob on your sub would do the trick, but I didn't think you had it set up that way.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong on all counts above so forgive me if I am.

#46959 06/03/04 05:18 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ok chess-

right now, i have a 5.1 set-up. all speakers are set to 'small' and the crossover on the receiver is set at 80Hz. now, it can be set to 40Hz and 60Hz on the onkyo 701, so i do have options. but, on my vega LW-12 sub, there are two knobs to adjust.. one is the volume knob, the other is a crossover knob. i usually keep the volume knob between 30%-40% because it gets too boomy and starts to overpower the rest of the system any louder than that. the crossover knob on the sub is set to 80, cuase i figure i should have set it the same as the receiver. is that wrong??

the bass i have is good, not great, but good. but, as you mentioned, if i could set it up to where i could get more of the mid-bass out of the M60's, and just put the low end stuff to the sub, i think i would like that better.

to acheive this, should i set speakers to large, receiver crossover to 60Hz, and the sub knob to 60?? help me out here..

and you mentioned not to turn the reciver too high cause it "sucks back the watts"? what do you mean?

bigjohn

#46960 06/03/04 05:33 PM
buff
buff
BigJohn,
The June 2003 newsletter said to set the crossover on the subwoofer to it's maximum rotation when setting the fronts to large. Surrounds and the front should be set to small.

#46961 06/03/04 06:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bigjohn, if you set your receiver's crossover at 60hz, then all speakers set to "small" will receive no signal below that point. Instead, all those bass signals will be sent to your sub. Setting the M60s to "large" means they will get a full signal, including the LFE. This requires your receiver to amplify more of a signal and your sub less.

I set my M60s to large and toyed with the phase switch until it sounded right. Turn your subs crossover knob all the way up. You will probably then need to adjust the sub volume between music and movies to get both to sound right.

Setting up a crossover
#46962 06/03/04 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ok bigj, lets clarify.

You have 2 crossovers to deal with, the receiver's inline and the knob on your sub.
If you are going to use the receiver crossover, then turn the cross knob on the subwoofer all the way up to get it out of the way. Otherwise you have 2 crossovers working at the same (or even a different) point. This causes sonic issues that would be hard to figure out.

Easy summary:

Method One
1) Set mains to Large (this should turn off the receivers crossover setting, if not, do it with whatever manual option you have ...read your receiver manual for this info).
2) Turn knob on subwoofer to around 100Hz crossover. Listen to music.
Have someone turn down the knob slowly so you can hear the effect the changing crossover point has.
3) Adjust the crossover to the point at which the bass sounds best blend with your main speakers. It should not sound muddy, muffled or over bassy. If you turn the cross on the sub too low, the bass should get thin and weak. (For my M60s in my HT room, the cross of about 50-55Hz on the EP350 blends quite well.)
4) Once you have found the best sounding cross point, play with the sub volume or recalibrate all the speakers with Avia or something similar.
5) Test with music and movies and see what you think.

Second method (for those who have a receiver with variable crossover settings under 80Hz)
1) Set mains to Small (this should turn on the receivers crossover setting).
2) Turn knob on subwoofer all the way up. Set the crossover in the receiver to 40Hz to start. Listen to music/movies. Then try the 60Hz value you have. Listen to music/movies.
3) Pick the crossover point that you like best based on the earlier criteria from Method One. Bass should not sound muddy, muffled or over bassy, nor should it sound thin and weak.
4) Once you have found the best sounding cross point, play with the sub volume or recalibrate all the speakers with Avia or something similar.
5) Test with music and movies and see what you think.

The advantage of method one is that you have more control over the exact crossover point compared to the receiver's inline limited settings.
Many will state that you HAVE to set your mains to small regardless of whether they are floorstanding models or not and that you HAVE to use 80Hz as the crossover point. This may be the recommended method by an industry movie standard but it does not mean that movies and music will sound worse if you try other options.
I personally prefer the less dominant bass of the M60s especially for music, over the subwoofer's thumping character. For movies, the subwoofer kicks in where it is really needed, to rumble when i want to feel that explosion or avalanche.

This thread may also be of interest.

In regards to the watts, low frequency notes require more energy to produce especially with smaller drivers. That is why most subwoofers tend to use larger driver sizes and higher rated amps. When driving your main speakers through your receiver on the large setting (or even at small but with a lesser crossover) the smaller drivers on the main speakers require more power to deliver bass notes. Clipping may began at volume levels that did not happen previously when a higher crossover point was used.
Remember, these home receivers usually have one power source for all the many things inside it and all the speakers it drives. You would be amazed at how much cleaner a separate amp can drive your speakers at higher volumes (and i'm not just talking about >100dB either, but even in ranges much lower...anecdote withheld here).

Last edited by chesseroo; 06/03/04 06:41 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#46963 06/03/04 06:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ok bigwill-

i will(no pun intended) try that when i get home.. set speakers to small(which is where they are), crossover to 60HZ from 80Hz, and turn the crossover dial on the sub all the way up.. i think the sub knob goes from 40Hz to 120Hz?? something like that. so you are saying crank it all the over to 120? then adjust the volume accordingly..

got it.. i will make adjustmenst when i get home, thanks.. i would still like to hear what you have to say chess..

whoa, chess posted.. let me read it aboove me..

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 06/03/04 06:35 PM.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020