Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
QS8 Positioning?
#47256 05/28/04 03:32 AM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've read a couple of posts but I want to be sure on a few things. I currently have the M60's, VP150no sub.............yet. :-) I am looking to buy the QS8's to now have some sort of "surround sound". My question to you is the placement of them. Ceiling mounting is not an option, I am really not an expert on this but, what would give me the better surround sound, placing them on the side wall so the front of the speaker is "looking at me" directly from each side? Or, behind me and the couch "looking at the big screen TV" ?

Re: QS8 Positioning?
#47257 05/28/04 04:34 AM
axiomite
axiomite
From the Axiom FAQ:

"Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations.
"

As you can see from the above, the ideal is on the side walls slightly behind the listening area. Failing that, on the side wall, slightly in front of the listening area is next best. You'll find the QS series speakers will do fine on the back wall if that is a better option for you.

The QS series come with brackets for flush mounting on the walls. It is not necessary to aim them at the listening area, though, if you wish, you may do so using the optional Axiom Full Metal Bracket, or something like the Omnimount wall bracket. .

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#47258 05/28/04 01:34 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i have a very big HT room(28x26x8) with M60's, QS8's, and the VP150. my viewing position is 11 feet from the tv. now, because the room is so wide and long, i had to put the QS8's in a not-so-optimal position. they are 1ft below the cieling, which is approx 3 to 3 1/2ft above the listening position, and about 1ft behind the listening position. now, keep in mind that they are on the wall, so they are about 11 to 12ft to each side of the listening position due to the width of the room.

now with that being said, i have no problems hearing my QS8,s/ during movies, or all channel stereo listening, they sound great. i had to bring the levels up a bit during calibration, but they blend very well to the whole mix. like i said, placement isnr perfect, but you can only deal with what you are given. i will say, that with the down firing speaker on the QS8, i think having them directly above the listening position(if you put them on rear wall) would be distracting. that just my opinion, i am not an expert.

good luck.. oh, and the T-brackets for the QS8s mount very easily to the wall.. just make sure to find a stud, cause these babies are pretty heavy.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#47259 05/28/04 08:20 PM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You mean to say the full metal braket that Axiom sells, doesnt come with the stud that you are refering? (Im talking about mounting the QS8). Am I wrong in saying that its really personal preference when it comes to deciding to put the QS8's on the side wall or the back wall? This assuming you have the option to do both.

#47260 05/28/04 08:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

....its really personal preference when it comes to deciding to put the QS8's on the side wall or the back wall?

Absolutely! However if you have the option of doing both, the side wall is preferable, but the back wall will work, also. The QS8s do a fabulous job of diffusing the sound wherever they are placed.

In reply to:

You mean to say the full metal bracket that Axiom sells, doesn't come with the stud that you are referring?

The "stud" John was referring to is a wall stud; a vertical 2x4 (usually wood, sometimes metal) inside the wall. They are usually 16 inches apart, and they are what your plaster/wallboard is attached to. Their location inside the wall can be found by lightly tapping on the wall with a knuckle and listening for the sound to change from kinda hollow to kinda solid (a hit or miss proposition), or by purchasing a stud finder at your local Sears, Home Depot, or similar outlet. Attaching at least one of the screws on your QS8 bracket to a stud just minimizes the chance of the speaker pulling loose from the wall.

Jack

#47261 05/28/04 08:49 PM
shareholder in the making
And no, the positionable full metal bracket is sold separately. The T bracket that mounts the speakers flush against the wall comes with them.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#47262 05/28/04 09:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just to be sure I didn't misunderstand. The QS series speakers come with a "T" shaped bracket for mounting the speaker flush to the wall. Once mounted the speakers remain flush to the wall.

The Full Metal Bracket is an optional way of mounting a speaker which has the advantage of being adjustable, so you can slightly turn, and/or tilt, the speaker to which it is attached. This is NOT a necessity with the QS since they are quadrapole speakers meant to diffuse the sound not aim it.

Jack

#47263 05/28/04 09:05 PM
Bingo. Although the FMB is useful for those with strangely shaped walls, ceiling mounts, etc.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#47264 05/28/04 09:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
What he said.
My 2 cents: I have the QS8s mounted directly behind and above (about 3 feet about ear level) with the T bracket flush to the real wall.

Superduperawesomeamazingwow. I forced a friend to sit in the sweetest spot and watch part of The Bourne Identity last night. He said "How does it make the bird sound like it's over there when there is no speaker there?" Even though they are placed poorly (according to THX standards) they still do an amazing job.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#47265 05/28/04 09:23 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
you are talking about the scene when he is out on the side of the building, climbing down the ladder.. i remember that scene, and said the same thing to myself. or the scene when he is crouching down from the sniper out in that big field. when the quails fly off, pretty cool.

i just assumed having the down firing speaker directly above your head would be distracting. guess i was wrong!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082