Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What do you think?
#47293 05/29/04 02:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Prozakk,
I'm also a bit lost on some of your statements.
Your Monitors cannot handle much power? That doesn't make any sense. Any speaker could handle hundreds of watts of power until it theoretically hits a physical excursion limit.

Secondly, you do not want to put a subwoofer in the rear b/c of bass cancellation issues and yet you want your surround speakers to play down to the 60Hz (or less?) range. Bass cancellation would still occur unless you do not consider 60Hz-200Hz tones to be bass.

Third, surround speakers, as Bren iterated towards, are for effects, not bass tones. That IS what the subwoofer is for. I think you are way overestimating how much bass comes from a surround speaker. Dolby Digital 5.1 mixers can make a full range signal but rolloff the low end for the surround channels. Since bass is non-directional, it shouldn't matter where the speaker that creates the tones are located, yet there is this concept that ppl believe on having the tones come from the surrounds. They are not supposed to be FULL range speakers because that is not their fundamental role. There is no 'bass hole' in the playback of music or movies as long as the whole system is playing in unison. If one were to only ever listen to the surrounds and subwoofer, then yes, the idea of having the surrounds play right down to the crossover point of the sub would make sense.

My suggestion is that if you want that much bass from the rear effects, buy a full size tower like another pair of M80s for your surrounds and then turn your receiver to "all channel surround" to get the apparent effects you seek. You could also try putting a sub behind you and tune it out of phase with the front subs to see what effect that will provide.

Also you should note, the M22 turned on its side looks rather like the Axiom VP150 short of a tweeter and a port.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#47294 05/29/04 07:02 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Dolby Digital: 5 FULL range channels PLUS a Low Frequency Effects channel. 5 20-20,000hz channels (or wider), Plus a channel playing ONLY below 120hz (or 150hz)..... etc.

And on and on goes the Dolby legacy - some analog, some digital, some matrixed, some discrete and to be honest unless I sit and think about it, I can't remember what they've called each permutation. In the end, whether or not a channel can carry a certain frequency range doesn't relate to whether or not the transducer at the end of the chain should reproduce the entire range - after all, mains can carry the full spectrum of human hearing, but you don't see any mains these days with big drivers capable of low frequencies... sometime in the 90s the passive subwoofer driven by the receiver died a horrible death, now the focus is on tight sounding speaker systems with a powered subwoofer (powered here includes a passive with a dedicated amp for those so inclined). And home audio has never sounded better.

Sound is largely a matter of taste, but there are some givens in the whole equation. When you stick to just the math involved without taking into account how the sound is perceived, you end up with a much different animal than it looks on paper.

Bren R.

#47295 05/29/04 01:04 PM
Prozakk Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Once again...if Axiom only made a QS12 (dual 6 1/2", or larger ported enclosure, with current drivers), none of this would be typed.

A speaker that can't do 60hz will not be used by me. No matter what it's location. It's the way that it is. You will not sway me there. You may have convinced yourselves, though.

I should have just been more direct in my 1st post.
Do the 22's match the 80's or 60's better?
Do you think the equipment I have will be a good match with Axiom's?

#47296 05/29/04 04:01 PM
Prozakk Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
My monitor 5's have hit their excursion limit via my receiver alone, let alone adding an amp of 200w.

#47297 05/29/04 04:02 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

A speaker that can't do 60hz will not be used by me. No matter what it's location. It's the way that it is. You will not sway me there. You may have convinced yourselves, though.

Would monsieur like some dip for the chip on his shoulder?

Bren R.

#47298 05/29/04 04:04 PM
Prozakk Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
No chip. I have no interest in a surround that doesn't go down to 60hz. Plain & simple.

#47299 05/31/04 10:50 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Can I ask why? A surround speaker as amazing as the QS8 would sure as hell change my mind about something like frequency response.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,087 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup